My '11 Caprice PPV

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is basically the continuation of this thread:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/2011-chevrolet-caprice.17203/

Yesterday, I was able to secure insurance for it. Thanks to the newcaprice.com forum, they suggested I use the 2009 G8 as a comparator vehicle for them to base coverage on. Turned out to be cheaper than the TB. I think I'm getting hosed by my current insurer so I'll be reviewing my policy and possibly moving all my vehicles to this new one.

On another note, the government agency that sold me the car sent me an email, sending me contact info from someone possibly interested in buying it. Called him and turned out he was one of the losing bidders, said he was just under my bid. Asked me how much I might want to sell it. Told him that HE was the one who contacted me so asked him what he was willing to pay. I also told him that I know this car's real worth and its rarety (1 of 4 in Canada). Said he'd call back possibly with an offer. He also lives in the Yukon so it will also cost him shipping.

I'll be making inquiries with GM to find out where the other 3 went. They might have been thrashed by other agencies.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Maybe post a walk-around of it? I'm interested to see how it looks. :smile:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Maybe post a walk-around of it? I'm interested to see how it looks. :smile:
Look in the link in the thread posted above. Has a lot of pictures of it, they're still up on the auction site.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks to @Mooseman for starting another thread - I'd guess there's a bit of interest in this vehicle & his exploits with it :smile:

On another note, the government agency that sold me the car sent me an email, sending me contact info from someone possibly interested in buying it.
I am very surprised they did this - at least they left the choice up to you as to whether or not to contact him.

Thinking about it, though - this is probably the best chance you'd have to make a tidy profit, if that is appealing to you. Depending on what the guy offers (let's say $2500+, for the sake of argument), I'd give serious thought to selling it - but that's me. The fact that there's four (!) of these in all of Canada is both a blessing and a curse.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks to @Mooseman for starting another thread - I'd guess there's a bit of interest in this vehicle & his exploits with it :smile:

I am very surprised they did this - at least they left the choice up to you as to whether or not to contact him.

Thinking about it, though - this is probably the best chance you'd have to make a tidy profit, if that is appealing to you. Depending on what the guy offers (let's say $2500+, for the sake of argument), I'd give serious thought to selling it - but that's me. The fact that there's four (!) of these in all of Canada is both a blessing and a curse.
If I were him i'd sell it to that losing bidder and make a profit.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Reprise

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And the airbag problem, which is B001b (passenger belt pre-tensioner high resistance). Checked for recalls and the tensioner has to be replaced on a recall so that should fix it. There were some others (shifter and ignition) that needed to be done too. At least it will be free :2thumbsup:.

Already planning my mods. First has to be mufflers with tips. This thing needs to roar! Then remove the intake resonator. The radio totally blows. It has the options for bluetooth, USB, nav, backup camera but were disabled at the factory. There is one guy in the US that can reprogram it to reactivate these features but it's $250+ shipping both ways (~$100). That's almost $500CAD! Can't replace it because it is needed for HVAC. I could try to add another separate HU but there isn't a good space to do this.

And there aren't any cup holders. How can anyone live like this?

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If I were him i'd sell it to that losing bidder and make a profit.
Actually, even if Yukon guy falls through...what do these go for in the States again? I'd advertise it on US sites, as you'll make +25% additional due to the exchange rate, and there's a bigger pool of eager buyers there.

I hate to suggest someone sell a vehicle they spent so much time & effort to acquire...but it looks like Moose is at least willing to consider it (for the right price) :thumbsup:

If he's in it for the 'long term' - I'd hold onto it for a couple of years, give it some love from an appearance & mechanical standpoint, and then take it to Mecum or similar.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Actually, even if Yukon guy falls through...what do these go for in the States again? I'd advertise it on US sites, as you'll make +25% additional due to the exchange rate, and there's a bigger pool of eager buyers there.

I hate to suggest someone sell a vehicle they spent so much time & effort to acquire...but it looks like Moose is at least willing to consider it (for the right price) :thumbsup:

If he's in it for the 'long term' - I'd hold onto it for a couple of years, give it some love from an appearance & mechanical standpoint, and then take it to Mecum or similar.
They go for more than double what he payed in U.S. Currency.

Reactions: Reprise and Tiggerr

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
They go for more than double what he payed in U.S. Currency.

Not that often you get to make a vehicle (not an antique or sports car) into a two-bagger (usually, it's the other way around, given depreciation).

Agreed - I'd sell now. Unless Yukon guy comes up w/ the same money (including the +25% USD bonus)...I'd tell him to go find another one.

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Problem is, even the wife has fallen in love with it so unless it's a ludicrous amount of money, it'll be hard to get the keys out of my hands. I could easily double my money but I'm not looking to do that. Just love the cool factor.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Can't replace it because it is needed for HVAC. I could try to add another separate HU but there isn't a good space to do this.
Well, that sucks...

In a police car? You gotta be kidding.
Next you'll be saying they deleted the donut holders! :rotfl:

On edit - looks like I can't add a quote to an edited post... but commenting on your other post re: the wife... it's also not often that one gets to purchase something like this, and have the better half give the thumbs-up on the purchase. Given that - I can understand keeping it. Enjoy!

Reactions: northcreek

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hard to say no, when a load of cash is in your face...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Mooseman, I'm curious....will you be shopping for snow tires for this beast ?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

I'm thinking his new TB becomes the 'winter beater'. Even *with* snows...how does he keep the rear end of that thing planted in snow? LOL

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In a police car? You gotta be kidding.
Next you'll be saying they deleted the donut holders! :rotfl:

I'll figure something out. Maybe add one to that flat piece of the center console.
Hard to say no, when a load of cash is in your face...

Like I said, it would have to be a ludicrous amount of cash. Selling it to a US buyer would probably more trouble than it's worth for the buyer to import it.

Hell no! She'll be in storage long before the snow flies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'll figure something out. Maybe add one to that flat piece of the center console.

10min with that Ryobi and a hole saw, and your cupholder problems are a thing of the past, my friend... :2thumbsup:

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Like I said, it would have to be a ludicrous amount of cash. Selling it to a US buyer would probably more trouble than it's worth for the buyer to import it.
Once the money is exchanged, that's their problem to figure out costs to ship it to themselves.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Once the money is exchanged, that's their problem to figure out costs to ship it to themselves.

Oh, I realize that but it could discourage US buyers, like I'm pretty sure that's what's going through Yukon guy's mind.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh, I realize that but it could discourage US buyers, like I'm pretty sure that's what's going through Yukon guy's mind.
Well they're sought after, so if it's some loaded guy he's probably willing to dish out for transport.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, went to the cruise night. Wow, lots of curious people! One was a guy that worked at the dealer where 3 of them went. One went to RCMP (mine) but didn't know where the other two went. Then, other people said Ottawa Police had one but nowhere to be seen.

The reasons no agency bought them in Canada was too expensive, too powerful and only RWD.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Well, went to the cruise night. Wow, lots of curious people! One was a guy that worked at the dealer where 3 of them went. One went to RCMP (mine) but didn't know where the other two went. Then, other people said Ottawa Police had one but nowhere to be seen.

The reasons no agency bought them in Canada was too expensive, too powerful and only RWD.

The RWD issue I can see in the frozen north...but too much power?
Shit there's a lot of places here in the states they use Mustang GT's even modified ones...charger r/t's too...
hell Miami Dade county used to have a Lamborghini they seized as a pursuit car lol..
somewhere in socal they had one too...

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I'll be making inquiries with GM to find out where the other 3 went. They might have been thrashed by other agencies.
I have a good idea where they went. And, I would say you are correct on the latter.
Very likely. Many agencies T&E'd them when they first came out. The Pursuit Taurus and Explorer were released at the same time, and with the discontinuation of the Crown Vic lots of departments were scrambling for a new patrol vehicle. We got a detective model, and it was alright, but the Explorer was better all around and somehow a bit cheaper. The big tipping point for cities was that most of their fleet mechanics were already Ford certified guys, so it wasn't as big of a jump from the CV to the Explorer or Taurus.

It was a fun little car though. Even the detective model that we got was zippy once it got going. I almost feel bad that I totaled that car. Lots of people didn't like it though.

They put aftermarket center consoles in them for the light box and radio, and they had cup holders.

Does it have a lull in the pedal response from a standstill? The detective models were programmed with a lull if you tried to stand on the accelerator off the line. Even in sport mode and with traction control off. It was very disappointing. :eyebrowhuh:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The RWD issue I can see in the frozen north...but too much power?
Shit there's a lot of places here in the states they use Mustang GT's even modified ones...charger r/t's too...
hell Miami Dade county used to have a Lamborghini they seized as a pursuit car lol..
somewhere in socal they had one too...

Reason I said "too powerful" is because we're not as pursuit happy in Canada unless it's a "life or death" situation. So stolen cars and speeders will typically not get chased. And in the cities, you don't need that much power to get block to block on calls.

Does it have a lull in the pedal response from a standstill? The detective models were programmed with a lull if you tried to stand on the accelerator off the line. Even in sport mode and with traction control off. It was very disappointing. :eyebrowhuh:

I'm happy to say that this one has quick full response. :biggrin:

Reactions: Tiggerr

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Reason I said "too powerful" is because we're not as pursuit happy in Canada unless it's a "life or death" situation. So stolen cars and speeders will typically not get chased. And in the cities, you don't need that much power to get block to block on calls.
I'm happy to say that this one has quick full response. :biggrin:
They might get "pursuit happy" when they see you doing smoke shows in one of their ex vehicles :popo:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They couldn't keep up with me even if they did :laugh:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Congrats @Mooseman just got up to date with your purchase. Seems like there is a lot of interest over there for these Caprices. We have a lot of them in Saudi, heck they are sold by GM dealerships here. If there's enough interest I might find out the pricing on em' :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Latest update. Dealer calls me last Tuesday and tells me he has the parts for the recalls. Book to take it in on Thursday morning. Wednesday, get a second temporary permit for the car. Thursday, drop it off and go for breakfast with a friend. Later in the afternoon, the service rep calls. Says the belt tensioners he got were the wrong ones. He explained that my car was built in June 2011 so it has some parts for a 2012. The tensioners had a different connector. It will take another 5 business days for the parts to come in from the US. F@ck! Problem is that this was my second temporary permit on this car and I can't get anymore for a year and it would probably expire by the time the parts come in. Friend gave me the idea to just leave it at the dealer until next week when the parts come in and get them to do the safety. They charge $30 more than my usual place for safeties but I don't have much choice.

One good thing, when they took the seats out to replace the tensioners, the passenger side wire was broken, hence the ABS code. Said they'll fix it gratis (Yeah!).

Friday, rep calls me again. They were going through the safety and it failed for the rear doors for not opening from inside (police option). Said they'll take the panels off and check for linkages. Called back later and was able to reconnect the linkages that were there (whew!). Probably will get charged for the labour.

The adventure continues.

Reactions: Matt and Tiggerr

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, I neglected this thread so time for major update.

Took it out of storage last month. Started right up after reconnecting the battery.

Had the radio reprogrammed over the winter. Re-installed it temporarily while I was gathering parts to make a USB and Aux input for it. It's a b!tch to take the dash apart to take it out. Have the parts but now I can't find my soldering kit because my wife put it away somewhere and as usual can't remember where. Ordered another one from Amazon.

Just installed the refinished wheels with Goodyear Eagle LS-2 RunOnFlat 245/40/19. Very nice! Now I have to do the calipers! The Oz Racing center caps are a shout out to its Australian heritage. They're not OZ Racing wheels.

Next up will be the headers and exhaust. Just waiting for them to be delivered to Ogdensburg NY for me to pick up.IMG_20180611_182136_resized-859866551.jpgIMG_20180611_182220_resized-856965641.jpgIMG_20180611_191504_resized-1472507524.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Paint those calipers asap :raspberry:

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just needs a shotgun rack between the front seats. But that's me ...

Yeah but that would attract the attention of the local constabulary. Also thought of getting some LED deck and grill lights for shows and the track but that too might be frowned upon.

Calipers I might hold off painting as I'm planning on Brembos. Or might just do a quick and dirty to clean them up a bit until then.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah but that would attract the attention of the local constabulary. Also thought of getting some LED deck and grill lights for shows and the track but that too might be frowned upon.

Calipers I might hold off painting as I'm planning on Brembos. Or might just do a quick and dirty to clean them up a bit until then.
I know in the U.S. it's legal for a civilian to have police lighting or emergency vehicle colored lighting and only operate them while parked. Canada probably has a similar notion.

For a temportary pleasing aestheics you could unbolt them from the brackets, scuff em up a bit, and sit them on a bucket while you spray. No need to detatch the brake lines. That's how I did mine on the TB yearts ago, they've held up amazingly well. Any chips in them are my own fault for smashing the wheels against them during brake work.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, that's how I thought of doing it. I've been looking at decals for the Brembos and thought maybe I could just get some custom ones done that say "Caprice PPV" in red, put them on the stock calipers and call it a day. Basically, paint them black, put on the decals and paint them clear. There is no braking performance gain from using Brembo calipers and the stockers will glue your face to the windshield.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yep, that's how I thought of doing it. I've been looking at decals for the Brembos and thought maybe I could just get some custom ones done that say "Caprice PPV" in red, put them on the stock calipers and call it a day. Basically, paint them black, put on the decals and paint them clear. There is no braking performance gain from using Brembo calipers and the stockers will glue your face to the windshield.
I was gonna ask if there'd be any difference on braking performance. Every car and truck i've ever driven has had better braking performance than the terrible ones our trucks have. Hell even the M109A6 Paladin I drove in the Army would stop on a dime lol.

I saw a black Caprice PPV the other day and I actually thought of yours lol. Was thinking to myself, "..man I sure do hope ole' Mooseman is enjoying that beastly whip".

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yeah! And I can only imagine once I get that exhaust on there. It's just too damn quiet! And it's so choked at the manifolds that they have a 1 7/8 opening to the cats. The header runners are 1 7/8 each! Will probably need a tune just for that.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh yeah! And I can only imagine once I get that exhaust on there. It's just too damn quiet! And it's so choked at the manifolds that they have a 1 7/8 opening to the cats. The header runners are 1 7/8 each! Will probably need a tune just for that.
Make sure you get some vids of it once you get the exhaust worked out.

And whatever happened with the insurance on it? Last I remember was you had to look into commercial vehicle insurance??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.