NEED HELP My 05 trailblazer, i started it up got into to leave for work i checked my gauges and my oil pressure gauge read zero

Gregory05trlblzr

Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Va
I started my 05 trailblazer up to leave for work, my gauges and my oil pressure gauge read zero and I heard a knocking noise any idea what would cause this all of sudden , thanks for the help Its my only vehicle so im trying to solve this problem asap ... thanks Gregory

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Assuming that you have oil in it, given it's your DD and only vehicle, I wouldn't start it much less drive it until I found out if I actually had oil pressure or perhaps the sending unit went bad or wiring or something. I'd just hate to see you grenade the engine if it can be avoided. I hate to say it but it might be too late. I hope not.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If THIS is how your engine sounded after start up after you noticed the Oil Pressure Gauge dropped to Zero... Minimum Oil Pressure for the GM Atlas 4.2L Engine is 12 PSI.

In the absence of Adding Oil at regular intervals or likewise, performing Regular Oil Changes every 3,000 Miles... There are only a few circumstances that can make this catastrophic event occur:

(1) Oil Starvation and Air Cavitation caused by a COMPLETE Block Off of the Oil Pickup Tube in the Bottom of the Crank-Case caused by the occlusion from Gas Gum and Oily Carbon Solids and Engine Combustion Debris.

(2) A Separation or a Tear in the "O" Ring sealing the Oil Pick Up Tube to the Base of the Gerotor Oil Pump.

(3) The Gerotor Oil Pump Built-In Relief Valve Plunger and Spring getting STUCK or JAMMED in the Open or Relief Position on Exit of the Motor Oil into the Oil Galleries feeding the Motor right after pressurization... Essentially Dumping that Oil right back into the Crank-Case.

(4) Numbers (2) and (3) on this List can happen EVEN WITH A FULLY FILLED CRANK-CASE.

Gregory... Please... Make no attempt to Start the SUV until more information about this problem is discovered and rectified. This is hard to say, but just as @jmonica first observed, you should NOT Start this Engine until you can have a more complete investigation performed by a competent Mechanic. If you allowed the Motor to run even for a full Minute... Serious Damage to the Crankshaft and Connecting Rods Bearings, Pistons, Rings and all (6) Cylinder Walls may have already occurred.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online