Mushroom top

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Was at the tire shop the other day getting a flat fixed. Tire guy tells me I should get new tires (I knew this) so I ask him about getting a larger tire. I'm looking for one size wider than stock (255) but keeping the stock height (65). He then tells me with the stock rims I risk mushroom topping the new tires.

I get the analogy, but I'm having a hard time believing this. I think he's just trying to sell me new rims to.

Have you guys ever experienced this ? I've put one size wider tires on other vehicles without having this "mushroom top" incident occur.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I run 255 55 18's, wider than stock and no mushrooms here, lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm running 265/65/17's and yes the sidewalls do bulge out a little bit, is that all there is to the mushroom top thing, or is there more to it than just that? I've had these on for about 3 years now

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe in extreme cases the tread would be bowed towards the sidewalls but in these cases, I wouldn't think so. Would be more if you were using too narrow a wheel.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
There are approved wheel widths for tires, I don't think going to a 255 would affect much. Also, your sidewall height, the 65, will also increase with tire width. The height is a percentage of the width, so basically the 255 will be slightly taller as well. I doubt you will have any mushroom effect.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm running 265/75/16 on mine without mushrooming. Now granted a 75 aspect tire will have more room to mitigate it. One thing you can do is look at the specs of the tire, typically they will list an ideal wheel width and then the allowable wheel width. As long as your wheels fall in that range you should be fine.

Given the stock size is 245 going to 255 (less than 1/2 inch difference) I doubt you'd have anything to worry about and he's just trying to sell you something.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online