Multiple codes

2005tbext

Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
What's goin on everyone? I have a 2005 tb ext lt. Just did plugs, coils, cam actuator sensor, cleaned throttle body. It runs rough and I got the check engine light for about 10 minutes before it went out. Here are the codes I got: p0014, P0128, P1516, P0300. I checked all the wiring on the throttle body, and it all seems good. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to clear everything. It still runs rough and the cruise control works sometimes. I don't know where to start and funds are limited. Other than running rough and the cruise control it accelerates fine and runs smooth on the freeway.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
P0128 is for your thermostat, so come back to that soon, but it is not causing your rough idle or misfire.

Cruise won't work right until it isn't running bad. Cruise will be disabled when there's misfires, etc. P0300 is a random/multiple misfire.

P0014 is camshaft over advanced. Have you checked the CPAS? You said the actuator sensor, but just checking what part exactly you changed. Does the engine smooth out as you rev it up? An over-advanced cam will run poorly at low RPM but higher RPM would smooth out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

2005tbext

Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
It does smooth out when I drive. Odd thing is that yesterday it did the rough idle, today it was fine until this afternoon. It was slightly cooler out this morning. Around 48 this afternoon it was about 68 not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe. A dying throttle motor might be sensitive to temperature or make the throttle stick. You could pick one up from a junker at a PnP if you have one close by.

2005tbext

Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
I'm probably just going to order a new one. It's odd about the cpas I just replaced that when I did the plugs and coils. Maybe an oil change will sort that issue out

Just priced it from GM it's under 300 with shipping. Any tips on installation? It's straight forward but you can never be too sure

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you're replacing the throttle body, disconnect the battery so that your PCM / ECM will dump it's volatile memory. The PCM often adjusts (incrementally) for a dirty / failing TB, and you want it to establish baseline after the new one is in. That means a 'drive cycle' as well, so the ECM can get dialed in properly w/ the new TB.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A lot of these throttle bodies have been failing lately given their age. Someone took one apart and the internal plastic gears were broken. Plastic just dries up and breaks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Wonder if anyone would cast (or print) the gears in plastic and sell them in kits.
That's assuming the control housing is serviceable.
Lots of GMTs (Silvys, Tahoes, Burbs) from this era still in service.

I remember someone had a little cottage industry in door panel retainer clips (might not have been this site); you couldn't get them separately from the door panel. So the guy started making / selling them, pretty successfully, too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hmmmm. Maybe possible. Don't know if there is some calibration or synchronization that needs to be done internally though. It's possible that rebuilders already make them.

2005tbext

Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
TB replaced, cpas cleaned (was just replaced) runs nice. No codes. Weirdest thing tho. When i hooked up the battery and went for a drive it ran fine then all of a sudden it started shifting hard and sounded like a manual transmission. Then as soon as it started it stopped. Been fine since. Did it a few years ago so i suppose if it was gonna crap out it would have done it by now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online