Mufflers can't decide

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have thought long hard on which muffler to get but I can't make up my mind. The thing that is really making choosing a muffler hard is drone and sound. I don't have the $$$ to shell out for and it have horriable drone. I like the Gibson but don't have the money, and I've heard it has some drone. I liked the flowmaster 50 seried but again the drone. I have thought on getting a Magnaflow muffler from a I4 S10/Sonoma or a I4/I6 Jeep. Again concerned about drone/ how it will sound. I've thought about the JBA but everyone says its ricy sounding, say hows that drone?

I'm thinking on the Dynomax Vt, has a 90 day money back. But wait what is it gunna sound like and is there drone?

Help

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
this is actually my first post on the nation and the OS.

I currently have a flowmaster super 44 on my I6, with resonator delete... it is LOUD. I like how it sounds on the outside, kinda tuner sounding at above 4K. the drone on the inside is absolutely terrible!!

my plan is sometime this summer i'm going to cut off and weld on a flowmaster 50 SUV muffler, i've heard good things about that muffler and there is little drone on the inside.

although it may sound like more drone to others as I am already use to it. :smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
I have thought long hard on which muffler to get but I can't make up my mind.
Sounds like the drama on your lift kit threads. If you're going to lift and offroad it, put off the muffler. Get a cheap Wagner OEM replacement for $50 and quit annoying the neighbors.

ksimm92 said:
... flowmaster super 44 ...flowmaster 50 SUV ....
I wasted a LOT of money on a Flowmaster 70 SUV once, in some insane pursuit of phantom performance. I didn't need the performance and the drone of even the Flowmaster 70 was extremely annoying. So I'm only going to argue against that sort of mod, but then I'm an offroading old fart who should ONLY be focused on ground clearance and traction.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i think with any muffler or exhaust, youre going to have drone at some point through the power band... even my full Corsa Sport has drone at certain levels.. my suggestion is to try and listen to as many sound clips on youtube of the various exhausts and make your decision...

glad to see your not going so much for sound and more are worried about drone... more times then not, people think their I6 is going to sound like a V8 when it never will... good luck in your findings...

Flash12623

Dec 3, 2011
I had a Flowmaster 44 with a res delete and it was unbelievably loud, and it sounded exactly how you would expect a rice-burner to sound, only deeper.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
I had a flowmaster 50 suv muffler with the resonator delete, got annoyed with it after a few years. Sold it and went back to stock. With the I6 engines it will sound buzzy. V8 thats a different story.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Single in Dual out Hooker aerochamber muffler. I've had mine for a year now and I love it. At high rpms it keeps the deep throaty sound. But at low rpms while cruising its hardly noticeable.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
Im thinking of going with a Dynomax SuperTurbo muff. It should be a little louder than stock but not too loud. Anyone have thoughts on that muffler?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fireman4215 said:
Single in Dual out Hooker aerochamber muffler. I've had mine for a year now and I love it. At high rpms it keeps the deep throaty sound. But at low rpms while cruising its hardly noticeable.

So does Hardtrailz from what I hear he loves it. Drone isn't that bad?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
fireman4215 said:

Can you share pics of how they ran the dual out. They told me it would be too low for wheeling to run another pipe to drivers side, but I question that now.

I have the single in and single out basically in stock location and kicked out behind pass tire but they ran all new pipe from muff back.

Cable810 said:

I really dont have any drone. Very rarely I will notice a bit, but a shade more throttle or less throttle makes it go away. It does not even happen enough that I could tell you what gear or speed or conditions creates it.

I like the sound of mine. Definitely not a v8, more of a throaty Indy car sound.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
Rubberman said:
Im thinking of going with a Dynomax SuperTurbo muff. It should be a little louder than stock but not too loud. Anyone have thoughts on that muffler?

I had a cat-back with a dynomax superturbo on my old 98 ford explorer, that was a 4.0L V6 though. It was a little louder than stock but nothing that noticeable. I have no idea how that would sound on a I6 vs. V6...:confused:

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
rmsg0040 said:
I had a flowmaster 50 suv muffler with the resonator delete, got annoyed with it after a few years. Sold it and went back to stock. With the I6 engines it will sound buzzy. V8 thats a different story.

hmm this is making me rethink putting a 50 series on now!:undecided: hahaha

fireman4215 said:

I will be looking into these, thanks!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Everyone reccomends Magnaflow muffler but they arn't giving links or a Mfn. Thats why I would assume getting a Magnaflow muffler from a i4,i5 or i6 kit.

filthyfingers

Apr 7, 2012
fireman4215 said:

I live in big truck hell, or heaven depending on your point of view. Oh brother! Its a muffler (as in muffle) nobody else cares what your ride sounds like. The quieter, the better, read "noise pollution"... rant over.:crazy:

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Can you share pics of how they ran the dual out. They told me it would be too low for wheeling to run another pipe to drivers side, but I question that now.

I have the single in and single out basically in stock location and kicked out behind pass tire but they ran all new pipe from muff back.

Not a problem the guy that did mine even said it was gonna be difficult.

82feaa11.jpg

6de94011.jpg

a81e6e07.jpg

a180cad1.jpg

Cable810 said:

Yeah I had read that hardtrailz had this muffler and that he really liked it so i took a leap and I love it. Like he says doesn't sound like a V8 but still sounds good.

rppoit

Apr 11, 2012
fireman4215 said:
Not a problem the guy that did mine even said it was gonna be difficult.

82feaa11.jpg

6de94011.jpg

a81e6e07.jpg

a180cad1.jpg

Yeah I had read that hardtrailz had this muffler and that he really liked it so i took a leap and I love it. Like he says doesn't sound like a V8 but still sounds good.

How much did it run you for this setup?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
rppoit said:
How much did it run you for this setup?

The muffler was about 80 online. The chrome tips were 30 and a shop in town did all the piping for me for about 150. I prefer dual. Both my trucks have duals but thats just my preference.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
I have thought long hard on which muffler to get but I can't make up my mind. The thing that is really making choosing a muffler hard is drone and sound. I don't have the $$$ to shell out for and it have horriable drone. I like the Gibson but don't have the money, and I've heard it has some drone. I liked the flowmaster 50 seried but again the drone. I have thought on getting a Magnaflow muffler from a I4 S10/Sonoma or a I4/I6 Jeep. Again concerned about drone/ how it will sound. I've thought about the JBA but everyone says its ricy sounding, say hows that drone?

I'm thinking on the Dynomax Vt, has a 90 day money back. But wait what is it gunna sound like and is there drone?

Help

If you leave your resonator on that should help reduce much of the drone.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

I'll have to try to remember to listen to yours at the meet. My stock muffler has a hole in it, and the drone at highway speed is rediculous

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Figure I should toss this in here...Been noticing a slight vibration sound sometimes and it got a bit worse this weekend. Pretty sure one of the welds inside the muffler broke. The muffler does not have a hole or anything, but at certain rpm I get a rattle. Being the muffler is over 2 years old and sat in freezing water for several hours while the truck was running this weekend...I am not really surprised and will buy another. The abuse my truck takes...I am surprised it lasted this long. Having smashed the tip and bent the pipe before...something was bound to give. It still sounds the same 90 percent of the time and I am hoping I can find the loose spot and dent it in with a hammer so I can use it til I decide whether I want single or dual exhaust next.

With this out there...I still recommend the Hooker Aerochamber and think it is the best sounding muffler for the platform.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online