MPG

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Ugh So My mileage seems like its suffering as of late. Recent repairs are thermostat, fan clutch and water pump. I would have thought it would have improved a little bit more. With mostly city driving I get about 12 mpg. What can i do to improve it?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
kjkim93 said:
Ugh So My mileage seems like its suffering as of late. Recent repairs are thermostat, fan clutch and water pump. I would have thought it would have improved a little bit more. With mostly city driving I get about 12 mpg. What can i do to improve it?

drive on the highway?

In all seriousness, you could try a fuel injector cleaner, make sure the throttle body is clean, check your air filter. 12-13 is normal for me.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Check spark plugs
Clean the air filter
Check tire psi
Clean TB?

Depending on the style of "city" driving, I can get 16 around my town, 11-13 downtown with idle time. Idle time and takeoffs from a stop and the TB gets thirsty. I gained an extra mpg or two just driving slower than anyone else that should be on the road. Keep the tach under 2k and see what happens. You can't hit 3k rpms much to get max fuel economy.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Sounds about right actually. I get about 13 in with 90% city driving. Clean your MAF, TB.
I may have something for you to test out for me. YGPM.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
12-13 mpg in the city is about right for a LWB with the 4.2. E10/E15 will make a difference as well. Try new plugs, air filter and clean MAF. Tire pressure is important as well. Check for binding brakes or stiff wheel bearings.

Clean radiator fins.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
yeah that gas mileage is not too far off. mine is usually 13 to 14 with 90 to 95 percent city. just took a trip to Tennessee last weekend. 900 miles round trip 70 to 75 with ac and 6 of us. averaged 21.2mpg all highway.

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
When you guys say "city," I guess you really mean city. 12-13 MPG... *shudder*

I'm driving suburban/rural. Few traffic lights and even fewer stop signs. Summer blend gasoline and driving relatively gently: I'm getting up to 17 MPG. On a road trip two weekends ago, two adults, two coolers, clothes, etc., driving 75-80 MPH, w/occasional A/C, I realized 20 MPG.

Jim

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online