Moved on, but not moving away...

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
My 2002 LTZ has found her way to someone else's driveway... My time of ownership was great, and my old truck really didn't owe me anything. After about 18 months of ownership and 26k miles, I made the difficult decision to list and sell the old truck, as my needs have changed, and I was rapidly approaching a lot of small, but cumulatively expensive repairs that I just know were going to become #1 priority all at once. I sold with just shy of 180k miles, in need of tires, shocks, sway bar end links all around, brakes in the rear, left front CV axle, A/C compressor, and it had a bad spot of rust on the left frame rail right between the upper control arm mounts. I paid $3400 for the truck in March of '15, spent about $700 getting it up to snuff through the spring and summer, and then I just started racking up miles. Sold for $2800 yesterday with the above listed repairs needed. I'll remember my truck fondly as I look back on the cars I've owned, but I don't think I'll buy another unless it's an SS.

With that said, I still own (and my son drives) a 2000 Silverado affectionately referred to as "Clifford", so I'll still bomb around here from time to time, but probably won't be spending as much time looking at the GMT360 section anymore.

Thanks for all of the advice and kind words I've gotten, and I hope that I've been able to give as much as I've received.

See ya 'round!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Be sure to come visit!

Reactions: Ziggy

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You'll be back. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
OK so now I have to ask, what are you getting?

Reactions: dkvasnicka

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I've decided that I'm done hiding myself... I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. *Phew!* Feels good to admit that! LOL!

I bought a 2002 Subaru Forester last night. Deal was too good to pass up. Hardly any rust (in OHIO if you can believe that!) nearly perfect interior, no leaks or funny noises, and the air works! Plus, I pretty much stole it from the guy at $1700. I'm going to enjoy getting 23+ MPG on my commute... Haven't averaged fuel economy that high in several years!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I see you bought another 2002 vehicle...so how many months did you "move up?" ...:2thumbsup:...Mike.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I originally had Subarus high on my list, together with the Volvo XC70. But the prospect of staying with the Saab brand, having proper American iron and a very unusual car for Europe won :biggrin:
If it wasn't for the 9-7X I'd be probably cruising in a H6 Outback or something.

@Ziggy did you do any research on the DIY potential of those Foresters? How is it with working on those boxers? Enough space in the engine bay? I've heard crazy reports on some newer Subarus that the engine has to go out in order to be able to do spark plugs and similar stories... I hope that's a myth.

Reactions: therealsethallen

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
@dkvasnicka I've actually been really impressed with the mod potential of this little car. Out of the box capability is really pretty good... At least for what I'm likley to encounter. I've seen these Foresters, especially older ones like mine, with a couple of different styles of build. Some people lower them and do the street tuner thing, and believe it or not, there is a contingent of people that lift them and do some pretty hard core 'wheeling with them.

As for engine bay access, it's pretty open. I can't speak to the newer ones, but on mine, everything is pretty accessible. They even have a center differential dipstick that is accessed from the engine bay! The flat (boxer) 4 cylinder is only about 2 feet from crank snout to transmission and sits almost completely ahead of the front axle centerline. There really isn't much you can't get to.

@northcreek - I did go with another 2002... and if I'm honest, I added about 30k miles to the equation, since the Subie has 211k miles. In the end though, my insurance went down, fuel economy is going up, and after I fix a couple of little things, I'm going to pocket about $600 on the deal. Who could complain about that?!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher