Motor Oil Spilled on Serpentine Belt

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
While finishing up my oil change yesterday I got lazy and tried to add oil to the crankcase from the 5-quart jug without a funnel. Big mistake. I ended up missing the fill hole and poured probably 3 to 4 ounces of oil onto the serpentine belt, down the front of the engine and onto the pulleys below. By the time I got something to clean the mess up with, it had spread and run down to the point that there was nothing to clean up.
What are some good ways to clean up a mess like this? I hate to use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner on a belt as I'm afraid it will dry it out. I'd pressure wash the front of the block, but don't want water in the oil pan. Any suggestions? Heck, while I'm at it I might as well do a mini-detail on the engine - pointers?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I wouldnt do anything really. Wipe up all the excess with a rag or papertowel, the rest will come off in 30 seconds after you start the engine.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
What about the belt slipping? Is that something I should be concerned about?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I wouldnt be. It will be clean in 30 seconds.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
ive done that a few times, never even thought I should clean it with a rag. I just started it up and forgot about it.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Take off the belt. Make a small container of hot water and a few ounces of dishwashing detergent. With a small stiff bristled brush. repeatedly dip it in the detergent solution then scrub the belt grooves and then the pulleys. Rinse it off with a garden hose and dry it with a rag. Then let it air dry for a few hours.
It's good to have a clean belt an pulleys - cleaning out the debris blown into it, plus the oil you've spilled will extend its life. Oil can deteriorate certain rubbers like those in engine mounts. I'm not sure how long term exposure on a belt would affect it, but why risk it? It's not hard to clean it.....

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
So I spent about an hour cleaning the engine last night with a combination of engine degreaser, soapy water, and the pressure washer at my local car wash. I was able to get the front of the block, belt and pulleys almost factory clean. WHile I was in there I got the front part of the frame / drivetrain / suspension cleaned as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online