SOLVED! Motor mounts

Chizzy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
Spokane wa
2005 Tb, 4.2 185k 4x4.
Started swapping mounts can't quite get enough room to remove the old one. The intake manifold (plastic bubble part) is hitting the fire wall just below the hood. Should I be worried? Tried to remove lower mount bracket strut spring is in the way. I have it on jack stands, will set it on ramps tomorrow and try again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I believe you have to cut the old mount to get it out. Not sure which side or both but someone will chime in.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Please view Post #54 and Post #55 at this link for the "Step By Steps" on MM R&Rs:

Note:

After the MM Installation is complete... Check around all of the Trapped Fasteners of the Intake Manifold with a SNUG MAX of only 89 Inch Lbs of Torque. This is because the pressure applied on the Upper IM when you were Jacking up the Motor into the Upper Cowling can loosen the seal around the three "Figure 8" Rubber "O" Rings. Once those Fasteners get *Pranged* like that... you can get some Sketchy Hesitations caused by Vacuum Leaks around the Engine Head at a "Bone Idle" of 600 RPM.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I did mine a few months ago, I ended up cutting the bottom of the studs off on both sides to get the old ones out, and cutting part of the unthreaded ends of the new ones to get them in.

Reactions: mrrsm

Chizzy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
Spokane wa
SOLVED
Matt, MRRSM, and Blkshdw..... Thanks for the quick response. Just finished now. I had to work, anyways improved the vibration a lot, especially on start up. I ended up removing the motor mount brackets. I had to put it on the ground (not jack stands) to get the bracket bolts far enough out. A previous poster mentioned that. Turns out I didn't hurt the manifold. Pulling the whole bracket gave me lots more room. Thanks for the info fellas. If anyone else reading this has any questions, shoot me a line I may be able to help. Trailblaze.. On!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online