Most reliable & quality brand for 250 amp alternator?

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
This is for future reference. I know a few of you have 250 amp alternators.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Mechman has a great reputation and mentions their 270 AMP Alternator while describing a side by side comparison with another competitor using a Monster 350 Amp Alternator... and this is quite educational about other sub-electrical components as well: ;>)

www.mechman.com

And for an Installation Demo for GM Trucks:

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Both those guys. Also a local shop should be able to build you a beefier alternator... if they exist still. What are you looking to do if I may ask?

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Both those guys. Also a local shop should be able to build you a beefier alternator... if they exist still. What are you looking to do if I may ask?
Might add a light bar or hook up the small sub I had that was left in the Cutlass when I bought it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Might add a light bar or hook up the small sub I had that was left in the Cutlass when I bought it.
Oh, unless it's some wicked power I wouldn't worry brother.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Forgot to mention an efan setup.

Wouldn't bother with alternator just for that either...
For that matter I wouldn't bother with the e-fans...
Switch to the thermo style fan clutch and get a tune to get rid of the code...
Any power gain from an e-fan would be negligible at best...

:twocents:

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I have put 2 Mechman Alternators in my truck. Mine is a 240A unit. They don't have anything larger than that because of the size of the housing and bolt type to get it mounted.

My first mechman unit lasted me about a year and then the bearings exploded on them. I replaced it with another mechman unit and it's been on for a year now and still working fine. I think my other one was just defective because it ran warm all the time and my new one is cool all the time, even when I stress it out with my sound system.

I'd strongly recommend a volt meter like the SMD VM1 http://www.wccaraudio.com/default/s.../volt-meters/smd-12v-volt-meter-smd-vm-1.html as the volt meter in our dash is super slow at updating and might seem like you have good steady voltage but it actually is bouncing around. I have the VM1 in my trucks dashboard along with my touchscreen I fiberglassed in (I put the VM1 in the hole where the rear wiper switch went since I never use it) and I can see the voltage bounce around on the VM1 but not the meter in the instrument cluster.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I was running 2 12" Rockford Fosgate R1 subs with a Rockford Fosgste punch amp, and my halogen KC lights with ease. I wouldn't stress about it too much, brotha. :smile:
Not not stressing, this is hypothetical. Unlikely I'll do it. Money is too tight for much mods.

I'd strongly recommend a volt meter like the SMD VM1 http://www.wccaraudio.com/default/s.../volt-meters/smd-12v-volt-meter-smd-vm-1.html as the volt meter in our dash is super slow at updating and might seem like you have good steady voltage but it actually is bouncing around. I have the VM1 in my trucks dashboard along with my touchscreen I fiberglassed in (I put the VM1 in the hole where the rear wiper switch went since I never use it) and I can see the voltage bounce around on the VM1 but not the meter in the instrument cluster.
I've been running a volt meter for years, was one of the first mods I did. I got it back when the OEM alternator was crapping out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kickass audio

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't need a volt meter, I listen to the blower. :2thumbsup: actually I use torque a lot when I have an issue so that works. It runs my inverter at 1100 watts woth everything off so I'm not worried... your car man.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't need a volt meter, I listen to the blower. :2thumbsup: actually I use torque a lot when I have an issue so that works. It runs my inverter at 1100 watts woth everything off so I'm not worried... your car man.
I'm not worried either, a voltage gauge is a real-time quick visual reference.

Reactions: littleblazer

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I've heard some bad things about Mechman on forums and the like about bad quality products and awful customer service. I've heard better things about DC Power Alternators. Unfortunately I have no real world experience with either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online