NEED HELP More things to look into 03 chevy Z71 Burb

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok in looking for a cause of the service airbag indicator, i came across the following I think they are tied together.
I cant get OnStar to phone home.. it rings them it tells me the units left (Zero) lol but never connectes to live individual. The Temp on the mirror is constantly reading 0*C. no matter what i do to it. I pull the SIR (15A) fuse and it disables the Airbags, it also tuns off the Compass and Temp in the mirror. It also turns my Onstar service indicator red as well. it still wont connect to the live person either. It turns the indicator light for the passenger off too. I left it out for about 15 min and it still did not reset. I put it back in the lights all go green but Onstar wont connect, the Service air bag is back and temp it still 0*C. Is there a ground near the onstar module, is the Air Bags through the POnstar system so they can check it. could the Onstar be causing a open ground? Where can I check for the connections to the Onstar system?

Second issue seems to be a problem I just found is water in the Drivers side carpet. its soaked under the rubber mat. I'm going to pull it and crack the windows, not expecting an rain that I'm aware of, so hope it dries out. I've checked the gromets, where it comes through the firewall I've looked for cracks in the seams (didnt find any) missing boddy gromets in the floor boards seems to be all there.
I found this since i was checking all Airbag connections. I looked in the Kick panel drivers side, under the drivers seat, under the passenger seat, under the front end for the connections to the sensors on the truck. all seem to be in tact, i did not find any broken wires no loose grounds, where can i look further to find this problem . I'm almost convinced its a bad ground somewhere.

Please help me I'm anal when it comes to things not working as intended from the factory.

Thanks
Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For OnStar, it might be so old that it can't work because there are no more analog towers. At some point, GM switched to digital. 02 was analog for sure, 03 probably. If you really want OnStar, you would have to take it to a dealer but you would have to commit to a plan before they would convert it to digital.

The temperature could be because of the sender.

Airbags, you'd need a code reader that can do body codes. Either a high end scanner or an ELM327 with the Car Gauge Pro Android app.

The water could be related to the sunroof not closing properly. I know the drain tubes from the sunroof wells can block and cause this in TB's. The other usual cause is an improperly sealed windshield.

Reactions: Matt

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
i have an elm 327 adapter and i use torque pro.. i dont see SIR code reading.
ill look at the other app.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It gets all codes. Well worth the $5.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok So sunroof fixed, Still dealing with the bloody service air bag light. its really pissing me off. Cant find a faulty wire. Checked under the seats, behind air bags, behind the grill, checked everywhere i can think, i see all the posts about broken wires but where can I look now???? Anyone got a hint? it appears to be a common issue in the GM vehicles and mostly almost never a faulty sensor. I cant check it as my ELM327 wont read the SIR curcuit.. is there anyone near bristol PA who has a red brick or tech2 they can use to scan it? or even a Bluetooth dongle (real one not knock off) I can use to look?

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Alright a little update.. 12/9/15 after pulling an almost 39 hours straight, I've found some windows based software that works with my laptop and bluetooth dongle to read, and clear SIR /ABS and DTC codes... Finally a little break. (Still need someone with a Tech2 or comparable unit to clear the theftlock) :sadcry:
Anyway. Got code after i cleared it of B0103 and based on research for it I have right front bumper sensor defective.. Will climb under it and pull the sensor and look at it. maybe pull one from the yard this weekend and solve that issue once and for all.

Now cmon folks.. I could really use some assistance from anyone who can relearn the vin for my head unit... PLEASE.. I got beer in it for ya and or Food! Cash if you'd prefer.. But please someone et me know if ya can help me out!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would have been happy to to do it for ya but just a little far for me.

BTW, do post in scanner section the software you used and where to find it.

Reactions: djthumper

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
where would you like me to post it? IU also have the installer file and eh um... the info to support the software :smile:cough: :cough: )

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok, so over the weekend, didn't do much but Still trying to find the problem with 2 items... 1. The Horn, i have cleaned the contact in the Column, and replaced the white plastic holder for the contact, even put on a dab of die-electric on the end to ensure contact.but still no horn. I hit the key fob and it honks, so I know the circuit to the horn and the actual horns themselves are good. (lock and panic trips the horns) I don't know (cant really see a clear pic of the clock spring ) to know if it has to go through that to make contact. but Everything else in the steering wheel works, all the controls on the wheel work. including the Airbag system. cant say for sure its that but i'm not sure enough to know 100%.

2. that dam mirror drives me nuts with the outside temp saying OC... (Open Circuit) I know it did work, I replaced the sun roof assembly and for about 30 seconds it came up and showed outside temp, I've replaced the sensor with ones from the bone yard several times (like I have a collection of them as I find them to use as a test, maybe like 6 different ones now) I have checked for bad leads, cant find one. looking for a bad connection, could it have been in the headliner ? or was is coincidental that it worked for 30 seconds when i reconnected the harness for the sun roof, does it even go through that harness? is it something I should rip the headliner down again to try and test? its a lot of work to remove the headliner in that truck,

Ok so that's where I currently am. thoughts, ideas suggestions?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I hate to say it but for your horn, it could be your clockspring. You can check at the wiring at the steering wheel column connector if you're getting the signal from the switch. Could be just that one wire in the clockspring is broken.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Dude thats not what I want to hear.. lol..
The thought did occur to me as well.. but odd only one wire and just the horn...
I'm going to test the black wire in the white harness under the collumn and see if i send ground to it if the horn blows if so I'd say there is a break in the wire from clockspring to that harness.
I'm still finding things to do to the truck.. found bolt to drivers front mount rotted the head away, needs to be replaced, also found source (I Think) of wetness under the drivers side carpet.. Found huge puddle under truck just behind the wheel well opening drivers side, and its from the Wiper washer for the rear. have to look at if its broken or if there is a rubber connector thats off or loose or corroded.
(found rotten bolt when I looked to see the puddle under the truck.)
For now.. thats all but investigating how difficult to install memory and heated seats on the 03 Z71... Would have thought since it was an option it would be in there. so need to find the following:

1. 2 new full power (Grey) leather seats with heat as I only have drivers side lower power seat in mine passenger is manual
2. Drivers side door memory / heat control panel for door.
3. Passenger side heat control panel
4. (this one im not sure about- New harness from drivers side kick to drivers seat to passengers side seat (( for power and heat)) Might be part number GM part # 15196953)

Anyone have any info on this swap please point me in the right direction.

Also trying to get a hold of the GM service manual for my 03 Z71.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.