MOOG Lower Ball joint rubber casing broken already

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Was under the truck yesterday and noticed my lower ball joint was leaking grease and the rubber casing was ripped already. Just put them on 5,000 miles ago. Is this a big deal?... as I could probably look into getting it replaced if its got a warranty...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moogs do have a lifetime warranty but you need your original receipt. Strange it would rip like that so quickly.

TB2k4

Dec 4, 2011
if you ordered it online check your emails and see if you got a digital reciept. i need to replace something in the front end, starting to believe it may be the MOOGs even tho the last owner said he had just changed them 8k miles ago... and he didnt give me a reciept so Im SOL. good luck trying to find it.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Hopefully they aren't knock off's. from china. getting them on line can be a hassle. For the reason you have , You get good prices ,but if something goes wrong . its just a pain....

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I found the digital receipt in the email after reading that it had a warranty. I ordered them from Amazon, not sure of the vendor...

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So pretty much the best solution ever was offered to me. I bought the Moog ball joints from Amazon, so I called their customer support. What they will do, is refund my account for the purchase price of the parts that are failing, so that I can use that credit towards buying new parts. So basically, I could say that all 4 ball joints have broken rubber casings, get a refund for all of them, buy 4 new ones, and continue using my current ones until they need replaced. Or I just take the credit and wait to purchase at a later date.

Amazon rules :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Please only take the credit for the bad ones..

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Honestly, both upper joints had grease all over them when I was washing it recently. I didn't see tears in the rubber but it seems like none of the grease is holding up, unless it was overfilled when installed.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Take the credit for all of them do you wanna have to go through this again down the road... i mean how likely are they to do this kinda refund 2 TIMES

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I do have a reason to be upset since I feel like they are already failing after only 5,000 miles. Gonna get inspected soon and see what the guys think.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine are holding up fine. They were a little overfilled and oozed when I installed them.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I try to grease all my balljoints and tie rods at least once a month. I want the grease to ooze out since I can see old grease out and new comes in.

Also, that's why it says "Inwards" (I believe) on the rubber boot when you are installing because grease is suppose to comes out on the inside so it doesn't fall onto the braking area (I've read somewhere) where it poses as a safety hazard.

All the boot does is keep the outside elements away from the actual inside ball joint where the grease is suppose to be to keep it stiff. Keeping the rubber boot filled shouldn't be the concern.

But, the rubber boot is suppose to last longer than 5K miles.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
seanpooh said:
I tried to grease all my balljoints and tie rods at least once a month.

How do you get the grease in?

My '03 Envoy doesn't have any grease Zerk's.

Did the '02's have fittings? Or did you replace all the ball joints and tie rod ends?

My '92 Astro had plugs that could be removed and grease Zerk's added.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I replaced all four of my balljoints with the Moog replacements along with the tie rod ends. It took 8 hours to get all the ball joints done but I am proud, with thanks to the OS and gmtnation :thumbsup:

I keep greasing them so that I never have to do that job again.

If you ever have to do your own, remember to get the balljoint removal set from Advance Auto because they have more parts and fittings. Also a pickle fork which comes in handy with the bottom ones.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I figured the boot isn't really essential to the actual inside of the joint, but it still should hold grease and not rip. They are beyond what I can replace on my own given the lack of tools and time so I let my garage deal with them.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Fire06 said:
Moogs are suppose to last thats why they usually cost more.

I bought all 4 from Amazon for $206 total. Not bad imo. Great warranty and excellent customer service from Amazon in helping me deal with this problem though. Getting inspected tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well the ball joints checked out fine. Apparently the rubber boot just needed reseated. I coulda swore I saw it torn, but maybe it was just folded up on itself.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.