FOR SALE Monte Carlo with a 5.3 ......HUH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Torque steer was really bad on those from what I understand.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Spark plugs (I can't tell if it has an engine cradle, like the G-bodies had with the 3800 back in the day.)

x3 on the TS

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This one seems to steer OK....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same platform as the Impala SS. That engine is a little different than the RWD/trucks where the crank is shortened to squeeze in there. Still would rather have a RWD.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Use the right tires and it doesn't matter that much. I kinda prefer RWD in snow.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Apparently you guys have never driven in a Buffalo winter, the only way RWD is better than FWD is with chains...:tiphat:

Reactions: xavierny25

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
I've been trying for years to find an '09 Impala SS with a blown transmission.
Simply because I *have one* that got pulled from a project car - that was built to withstand something like 1200HP in a drag car, and only has about 100 miles if that on it!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would never want to own one. A v8 front wheel drive is a waste to me. I dont like fwd much anyway, but piling hp thru my steering tires is silly to me. I actually had the fwd impala and went back to a rwd for a DD even with winters and snow. Had no issues this morning with the snow.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I would never want to own one. A v8 front wheel drive is a waste to me. I dont like fwd much anyway, but piling hp thru my steering tires is silly to me. I actually had the fwd impala and went back to a rwd for a DD even with winters and snow. Had no issues this morning with the snow.
I'm intrigued by a V8 fwd but, an awd V8 would be my choice. The torque steer in my wife's awd V6 Equinox is noticeable when you get on it so maybe a squirrelly ass rwd really is better. :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Imagine the 70's Cadillac Eldorado with the 500 CID 8.2L and front wheel drive! Although I have never driven one of these behemoths, it must have been squirrely driving those!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Never saw the excitement about these, I'd rather have that 5.3 putting some work into some rear wheel burnouts lol.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

wags69

Mar 25, 2018
Illinois
Imagine the 70's Cadillac Eldorado with the 500 CID 8.2L and front wheel drive! Although I have never driven one of these behemoths, it must have been squirrely driving those!

I had a '76 Olds Toronado, basically the same car. I only had a 455(7.5L), but it wasn't squirrelly when you romped on it. Loved locking up the parking brake and burn the front tires off!

Currently have a '02 Cadillac Seville STS with the 4.6 Northstar V8. It is also FWD and handles power pretty well..... provided the T/C is on.

Reactions: Mooseman

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
I looked at the Grand Prix gtp 1997-2004 body style with the supercharged 3800 v6 (Guy I knew had one that flied), same with the Monte Carlo as of that era with the supercharged 3800. These 5.3s briefly as well, only being a fwd though, they do hook up pretty good. My cousin even has a supercharged ss monte and it hooks pretty good. I’m not gonna bash fwd because hey, they keep traction.

But I will say, I do like my burnouts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.