Monroe Reflex Struts and Shocks

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I was only able to drive about 20 minutes worth of slow traffic congested streets. Initial impressions are the Monotubes in the back are awesome. Totally tightened up the rear end I can't wait to test it out at higher speeds and faster turns. I need more time with the front Sensatrac/Reflex struts to better assess, I suppose it feels slightly firmer but the effect certainly was not as noticeable as the Monotubes in the rear.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Not digging the front struts. Biggest issue is they both squeak/creak over small bumps at slow speeds. Sounds kinda like dry rubber. Secondly, the valving is too loose in straight line driving, only stiffens up in actual cornering. The Monotubes however are great. Firmed up the rear without making it harsher, very balanced. Gotta find time to take it to my mechanic to re-check everything.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Pittdawg said:
Not digging the front struts. Biggest issue is they both squeak/creak over small bumps at slow speeds. Sounds kinda like dry rubber. Secondly, the valving is too loose in straight line driving, only stiffens up in actual cornering. The Monotubes however are great. Firmed up the rear without making it harsher, very balanced. Gotta find time to take it to my mechanic to re-check everything.

Brand new and they creak? Sure its not the bushings or rubber spring iso's in yer front end? Just sayin` because I never heard of a brand new set doing that unless the rods are a little sticky and need time to break in the end seals.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I bought some lithium spray on the way home from work and got underneath the truck in the parking lot and sprayed everything...ball joints, sway bar bushings, strut mounts and some other parts I'm guessing are tie rods and endlinks? The volume of the squeaking reduced significantly but I can still hear it, just not nearly as loud. To be continued.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It's better to just spray one or two things at a time.
Also, use something thinner, like WD-40.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
It's better to just spray one or two things at a time.
Also, use something thinner, like WD-40.

I'm pretty sure spraying WD40 on rubber parts is a big no no :no:

Since Monroe has a money back guarantee, I decided to move on. Despite the squeak, they are just too soft and a little bouncy and I don't feel any difference from the stock struts so I ordered Monotube Bilsteins for the front to replace the Monroes. Again, I love the Monroe Monotubes in back but cannot recommend the Sensatracs in front :frown:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Prior experience with Monroes is the reason I went with Bilstein HD shocks on mine. Monroes are more "OEM" like and squishy because of it and I prefer a little firmer, more precise ride.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
Prior experience with Monroes is the reason I went with Bilstein HD shocks on mine. Monroes are more "OEM" like and squishy because of it and I prefer a little firmer, more precise ride.

Well, if the Bilstein Monotubes ride similarly to the Monroe Monotubes I will be quite happy. I'm thinking Monotubes are just hands down a better design, regardless of brand.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Buddy of mine replaced his stock Bilstiens with sensatracs and didnt notice a difference over stock. I replaced mine with Bilstien hd's and they handle great! personally I prefer a more stiffer ride. but it should solve your handling problem. Never go wrong with bilstiens.
:yes:

Also i am running the monroe monotubes in the rear, with them and the bilstiens together = Good overall ride.

Did you replace the front springs Also? That can make a big difference.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
03envoy said:
Buddy of mine replaced his stock Bilstiens with sensatracs and didnt notice a difference over stock. I replaced mine with Bilstien hd's and they handle great! personally I prefer a more stiffer ride. but it should solve your handling problem. Never go wrong with bilstiens.
:yes:

Also i am running the monroe monotubes in the rear, with them and the bilstiens together = Good overall ride.

Did you replace the front springs Also? That can make a big difference.

Did not replace the springs. I figured stiffer shocks should be sufficient. Can you pinpoint what the springs provided you that the HD Bilsteins did not?

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Did not replace the springs. I figured stiffer shocks should be sufficient. Can you pinpoint what the springs provided you that the HD Bilsteins did not?

I went with Moog 81014 springs. which have a stronger spring rate then my 83's. which IMO help with cornering. Also if your springs have 100,000 or so miles I would replace them wheather you know the past of the vechical or not because they can take alot of abuse but again IMO I would replace them and try and get a lil stiffer spring rate.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Having the Monroe struts switched out with HD Bilsteins today. I'm hoping the squeaking was the Monroe struts and not the mounts. I'm also having a Belltech rear sway installed. I'll report back as soon as possible.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The difference between the Monroe SensaTrac/Reflex front struts and and HD Bilsteins are night and day. The Bilsteins are hands down better and the incessant squeaking is now gone. Also, the Belltech rear sway tightened up the rear just about perfectly.

Again, the Monroe monotubes in the back are great and I'd recommend them, especially for the price. However, stay far, far away from the front Sensatrac struts, absolute crap IMHO.

I am finally very happy with my suspension. I strongly recommend this setup for someone wishing to remain stock height but desiring better handling.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher