Monocramatic drivers mirror

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I have the monocramatic drivers mirror in my TB and I need to replace the housing. I plan on buying a Dorman replacement mirror and was wondering if anyone knew if I could remove the glass from the current mirror and put it in the new housing, will it retain the monocramtic feature? I have to imagine that the feature is somehow in the glass and it should just plug and play. :undecided:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Matt said:
I have the monocramatic drivers mirror in my TB and I need to replace the housing. I plan on buying a Dorman replacement mirror and was wondering if anyone knew if I could remove the glass from the current mirror and put it in the new housing, will it retain the monocramtic feature? I have to imagine that the feature is somehow in the glass and it should just plug and play. :undecided:

Glass just snaps in to place.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
FYI, the term you're looking for is "electrochromatic". :wink:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
FYI, the term you're looking for is "electrochromatic". :wink:
AKA "smart glass" :raspberry:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It would be awesome to have a dimming mirror. I didn't know they made side mirrors that did that, at least not on our trucks.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
It would be awesome to have a dimming mirror. I didn't know they made side mirrors that did that, at least not on our trucks.

Wish my rearview was dimming too :sadcry: Just a basic one. I think the dimming side mirrors were only on early LTZ Trailblazers (and corresponding top of the line)

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
It would be awesome to have a dimming mirror.

I have one, and I hate it, I want to be able to control when it's dark. But they dont make mirrors with temp/compass that are manual dimming.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
I have one, and I hate it, I want to be able to control when it's dark. But they dont make mirrors with temp/compass that are manual dimming.

All the ones I've seen have an on/off button to disable the auto-dim.

I was speaking more about being able to dim my driver side mirror in particular, however. I don't mind flipping the little lever on the rear view, but it doesn't do much good when I have some moron sitting off my quarter in the left lane with his brights on :mad:

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Looks like I'll find out when I get the new housing.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
It was another item offered in 2002 only like the underhood, footwell, and glove box lights that they took away in later years. "Decontenting", it's called. Cheap-ass-ery, I call it.

To be fair the underhood light is pretty craptastic anyway, doesn't turn on half the time and only lights up the corner when it does turn on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online