Mixing Tire Speed Ratings

Kurb

Original poster
May 3, 2014
I have run into a bit of situation, not with the TB but with my grand prix, but since this site is so great, I figured I would post my question here. If you use the exact same tire, what kind of difference does it really make to put two tires on the front that have slightly different speed ratings than the rear tires?

In my case, the tire is the exact same tire, with the exception of the speed rating. I know this was a terrible idea, but I only replaced two tires on the car 6 months ago since two of the tires seemed to have a lot of tread on them, but they are now bald. The place that I the bought the previous tires now only carries the H rated version of the tire instead of the V rated version that I bought. The Michelin web site lists them as limited availability, and Tire Rack says that the delivery date would not be until August. The installer said that I would have to always run the lower speed rated tires on the front due to a potentially dangerous over-steer condition that could result, I would not be able to rotate the tires, and this would void the warranty. However, they offered to sell me a totally different brand tire with a different tread design. I can't imagine that a totally different tire would be better than the same tire with a different speed rating. Even the tread wear spec is the same on the two different speed rated versions, so I am wondering if they are made exactly the same. I do not have a problem staying under 130 mph, so the H rated version should suffice.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As far as I'm aware it doesn't matter that much.

Reactions: Kurb

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are you sure they are the same in every respect? Check the temperature, wear and traction ratings on the sidewall. If they are the same, then the speed rating won't matter unless you plan on exceeding the lowest rated tire.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If they are same diameter I would not worry at all. People safely mix totally different brands so a minor thing like speed rating would not even make me flinch

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
So long as you are changing out 2 at a time (front or rear sets), and they are the same size, it should make no difference

Kurb

Original poster
May 3, 2014
Thanks! Glad to hear that it is not an issue. I guess if I get the lower rated tires installed at the same place, I will just have to rotate them myself.

I sounds like it doesn't even matter, but I am pretty sure it is the same tire with a different label.
Michelin Premier A/S, 225/55 R17
V - Rated: 97V UTQC: 640AA
H - Rated: 97H UTQC: 640AA

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Same size, Same load rating (97), same wear rating (640AA), just a different speed rating.

Totally see it as a non issue. Just keep the same speed rating tires on the same axle (front or rear).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online