mixed tire sizes question...

Rubberman

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Right now i have the stock size of 245/65-17 and i need 2 tires. I can get a good deal on some Kuhmos but they are 255/60-17. When i use the tire comparasion chart the only thing that is different is:

The tire height on the 255's are 29.1" (245's are 29.5'')
Tire width on the 255's are 10'' (245's are 9.6")

Wider is better and not concerned about the width but would that tire height difference be that noticable or bad? I would end up putting the 255's on the rear cause of new tread.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rubberman said:
Right now i have the stock size of 245/65-17 and i need 2 tires. I can get a good deal on some Kuhmos but they are 255/60-17. When i use the tire comparasion chart the only thing that is different is:

The tire height on the 255's are 29.1" (245's are 29.5'')
Tire width on the 255's are 10'' (245's are 9.6")

Wider is better and not concerned about the width but would that tire height difference be that noticable or bad? I would end up putting the 255's on the rear cause of new tread.

Personally i would advise against it. A guy here at work had a flat recently, and just putting the spare on with the other 3 tires worn made his truck go nuts. He had all sorts of issues with the Traction Control system and the ABS because of the different diameters, and those were actually the same size, just different amounts of wear. That may not be quite as bad with matching tires side to side, but I'm not really sure.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
does an 04 have traction control?
your worn 245's might be very similar in size to a new 255.
I usually buy tires in sets.
Can you measure your tires you are keeping and get a measurement on the new tires?

Folks run off sized spares all the time, this is the first I have heard of that problem.
As long as you aren't in 4WD or AWD I don't see an issue.
I'm not advising you to do so but I can't see why not.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Personally i would advise against it. A guy here at work had a flat recently, and just putting the spare on with the other 3 tires worn made his truck go nuts. He had all sorts of issues with the Traction Control system and the ABS because of the different diameters, and those were actually the same size, just different amounts of wear. That may not be quite as bad with matching tires side to side, but I'm not really sure.

If each axle gets the same size (figuratively speaking) then there shouldn't be any issues with the ABS system and I don't think there was stabilitrak on the early models. There's an off button if it becomes a problem. I've had friends run different front/rear sizes on their 2wd gmt330 blazers without issue or incident.

For a 2wd I don't see any real world problem with it. Obviously it's not the preferred method but if you need to save the coin so be it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Earlier 4WD trucks didn't have stabilitrak, but some (most?) 2WD trucks did.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online