Missing Navigation Disc...

johnstonjohnr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
So I just bought a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali and it had the OEM Navigation system it. Well the previous owner could not find the nav disc (don't know how you lose it as it stays in the system:lipsrsealed:). Anyway, I about fell over in my chair when I went to order a new. I could not justify spending that kind of money for a disc. After looking long and hard on the web, I actually found an ISO to download and burn. I thought well, lets give it a try...guess what...it worked. YEAH!!!:wootwoot: So for $3.00 for a dual layer disc as apposed to $199.99 to purchase. I know, I know, I know, this my not have been the right thing to do, but I did not even know if the system worked and the purchased disc would have not been returnable. I do not necessarily condone this type of behavior, but how you know for sure if the system worked or not? I will be updating the version to the newest one mine will take when I figure it out, so I guess they will be getting their money in the end. :hissyfit:

Sounds like a lot of people didn't get the disc when they purchased a used Envoy. Someone out there is sitting on a big pile of these disc somewhere.:undecided:

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I am nearing time to purchase a TB with Nav, but the DVD is scratched.

I'd like to know where I can download like you did; just to check out if the system works.

johnstonjohnr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Robbabob said:
I am nearing time to purchase a TB with Nav, but the DVD is scratched.

I'd like to know where I can download like you did; just to check out if the system works.

Just PM'ed you:thumbsup:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I suppose only in the SAAB does the Nav disc actually stay in the system since it has a second/hidden dedicated navigation disc slot. If you want to listen to a CD, you have to remove the nav disc in all the others which is just stupid. I know since I have a Navigation system in the Rainier as well. I never understood why the others didn't adopt that improvement as they did with several of the other SAAB upgrades.

johnstonjohnr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Jkust said:
I suppose only in the SAAB does the Nav disc actually stay in the system since it has a second/hidden dedicated navigation disc slot. If you want to listen to a CD, you have to remove the nav disc in all the others which is just stupid. I know since I have a Navigation system in the Rainier as well. I never understood why the others didn't adopt that improvement as they did with several of the other SAAB upgrades.

I have to take out the disc to listen to a CD. REALLY??? I thought it was like a 6 disc changer. I haven't even tried it yet. If that's the case then new system here we come.:hissyfit:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
johnstonjohnr said:
I have to take out the disc to listen to a CD. REALLY??? I thought it was like a 6 disc changer. I haven't even tried it yet. If that's the case then new system here we come.:hissyfit:

Nope you got the 6 disc changer if you didn't have the navigation option. So for all the other 360's except the SAAB you need to remove the nav disc, find a spot to put it where it won't get scratched or stepped on by the kids then put your music CD in and repeat in reverse whenever you need your nav. There is a motor under the face of the nearly identical looking 9-7 navigation screen whereby the entire front moves forward and down to expose the dedicated Nac disc slot. Since I haven't purchased a CD since 1991 in HS and only because they were ten for a penny and you never actually bought the ten, I simply plug my phone into the rear entertainment center DVD player and listen to internet radio anyway. I actually don't have or own any music other than xmas song cd's that my wife has bought in the $bin over the years and even those haven't seen the light of day since all the home stero is internet connected.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats not entirely true...

Althou I have the SAAB Nav system, with the hidden nav drive, I also have installed for testing purposes a 6 disc cd player. You can buy the cable, and the 6disc unit from ebay.. Its just a matter of where to install the 6 disc player. I found a nice little spot in the glove box, or with some custom console work, it could also be put there.

This is the cable...

[EBAY]270453079726[/EBAY]

This is the 6 disc player...

[EBAY]200866991262[/EBAY]

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Thats not entirely true...

Althou I have the SAAB Nav system, with the hidden nav drive, I also have installed for testing purposes a 6 disc cd player. You can buy the cable, and the 6disc unit from ebay.. Its just a matter of where to install the 6 disc player. I found a nice little spot in the glove box, or with some custom console work, it could also be put there.

Well yeah, anything is possible in the aftermarket. End of the day, dedicated nav disc slot or not...our oem stuff is lightyears behind what you can buy at Walmart. Beyond that, any smart phone's nav capability is better...I only like the nav system because of the big screen and the ability to see where I am but don't quite need directions oh and it looks good.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Light years behind, yes.. Less likely to be stolen, YES!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
TollKeeper said:
Light years behind, yes.. Less likely to be stolen, YES!

Damn!...never thought of that...I'm installing an 8-track:thumbsup:

GM GUY

Dec 23, 2012
johnstonjohnr said:
So I just bought a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali and it had the OEM Navigation system it. Well the previous owner could not find the nav disc (any don't know how you lose it as it stays in the system:lipsrsealed:). Anyway, I about fell over in my chair when I went to order a new. I could not justify spending that kind of money for a disc. After looking long and hard on the web, I actually found an ISO to download and burn. I thought well, lets give it a try...guess what...it worked. YEAH!!!:wootwoot: So for $3.00 for a dual layer disc as apposed to $199.99 to purchase. I know, I know, I know, this my not have been the right thing to do, but I did not even know if the system worked and the purchased disc would have not been returnable. I do not necessarily condone this type of behavior, but how you know for sure if the system worked or not? I will be updating the version to the newest one mine will take when I figure it out, so I guess they will be getting their money in the end. :hissyfit:

Sounds like a lot of people didn't get the disc when they purchased a used Envoy. Someone out there is sitting on a big pile of these disc somewhere.:undecided:

Based on my experience any GM vehicle navigation disk (same year or a newest update) will solve your troubles.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Anyone got a spare disc? I dont have a dvd burner and need a disc for an 07 TB

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Hey OP, not sure if you are still considering the aftermarket route, but with a little fab work you can easily mount a tablet in your dash and make it look stock.

Various wiring components - $20
install wiring harness - $5-45 (depending on if you care about chimes)
Nexus 7 - $200
apps - about $8
basic head unit with aux in - $100
black abs plastic - $15

The knowledge that you did this all yourself - Priceless

If you need any help with it, Kuchar09 and myself have both done it. His is more involved than mine and he has been super helpful with my install.

Reactions: stormsurge

David1976

Apr 8, 2013
johnstonjohnr said:
So I just bought a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali and it had the OEM Navigation system it. Well the previous owner could not find the nav disc (don't know how you lose it as it stays in the system:lipsrsealed:). Anyway, I about fell over in my chair when I went to order a new. I could not justify spending that kind of money for a disc. After looking long and hard on the web, I actually found an ISO to download and burn. I thought well, lets give it a try...guess what...it worked. YEAH!!!:wootwoot: So for $3.00 for a dual layer disc as apposed to $199.99 to purchase. I know, I know, I know, this my not have been the right thing to do, but I did not even know if the system worked and the purchased disc would have not been returnable. I do not necessarily condone this type of behavior, but how you know for sure if the system worked or not? I will be updating the version to the newest one mine will take when I figure it out, so I guess they will be getting their money in the end. :hissyfit:

I have the same problem with an 07 envoy. I'd appreciate it if you would message me where to download.

Reactions: Kazoo

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I have the 2012 disk, but its 4GB compressed and there's no easy way to host it (sorry, not going to host it on my personal server). I have done a few disks for people, but some of these NAV HUs are picky about what disk is used. Ive had 2 people tell me the disks I sent them didnt work when I personally tested them in my 08 HU AND a local buddy of mine popped one into his truck without an issue.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you would like, I could download it from you, and host it on my t-server.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
TollKeeper said:
If you would like, I could download it from you, and host it on my t-server.

Brian, lemme think about it, but this sounds like a good idea. :biggrin: I was toying with the idea of doing a torrent setup as well, but that relies on a few people hosting it all the time otherwise it would die.

ectothegreat

Jun 28, 2013
johnstonjohnr said:

where did you find the ISO to make the disc?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Finding the ISO is actually really easy, its getting it to burn correctly. Most DVD Burners are Dual Layer (DL), most have issues with setting the burn type.

Also the reader in your truck is the next issue. Its seems only to like a certain type of disc, which is one of the reasons I haven't gotten on my tail to burn any, cause I would have to take my dash apart to get to my burn, so I could find out what kind of disc it was. I bought 4 types of discs before I found one that would work.

olivia pope

Apr 11, 2014
johnstonjohnr said:

Could you send me the info where you got it from?

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
Does any GM NAV DVD actually work? Because there is quite a price variance on the DVDs on E bay. They are going for $3.99 to over $200? Which part numbers work?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
TimRXUV777 said:
Does any GM NAV DVD actually work? Because there is quite a price variance on the DVDs on E bay. They are going for $3.99 to over $200? Which part numbers work?
Some might be knockoffs (it IS eBay after all). Others are probably very outdated. The question is which part number is the most current?

Honestly I never understood the whole "navigation has a CD player, but guess what you can't listen to a cd and have nav up at the same time." Why was there no upgrade option available to use the disc to load an internal SSD/flash unit with the nav info? The dealer can still charge for the service, fine, whatever. After all they'd still have to buy a new copy every year to use in people's nav units. But seriously!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From my quick research on the GM Nav site, the current part # is 22846887 . Only 2 are available on Ebay currently. They sell for 199 on the Navigation Website found here..

www.navigation.com

May 5, 2015
I just purchased an 06 Envoy and it's missing the NAV disk.
At 200 bucks, I'm in no rush to get the it working.

I have the build sheet and it says (2) free updates.
Called GM and they advised it was for original owner only.

If anyone can help I would be forever grateful!

lesam678

Nov 5, 2012
Old thread but new request. Anyone with a copy of the GM Nav-disc 22846887 GM - North America Map Update - v.2012 for sale or can put a torrent file up on kat.ph? Heading on vacation in 10 days and only have the disc that came in the saab from 06. I'm sure PA and NY have new roads.

Thanks!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I finally got my Burnt Nav disc out of my Envoy, to see what I did to burn it, so I could burn a copy for my new Avalanche... And then the headache started. Oh My MF....

There are burning instructions all over the net, but that's not the problem. I went and purchased new DVD burners (4 of them), only to find out that they are not compatible to the burn cycle. I then tried my HP Laptop, I tried my Dell Servers Burner, I tried my room mates Burners (he has 3 of them on his computer). NONE of them worked. I then hopped on my wife's All In One computer, a cheap ass Lenovo. And guess what, it worked. According to the device manager, its a PLDS. Never heard of them. Burnt 4 copies tested them on my Envoy, and they all work.

Popped one of those bad boys into my Avalanche, and the DVD drive is bad. I cant win! I bought a new Nav unit off eBay, and he sent me the wrong part, and wont refund the money. Did I mention I cant win?

Anyone wanna buy a NEW (as eBay advertised) GM nav unit part 15800001?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online