Misconceptions and oddities about our platform

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon

Plus I have read here and there where folks have sourced a slightly wider bearing for the most common failed outer bearing and another owner who added a zerk fitting to allow the addition of grease? Not sure if that last one helps or not I am considering adding such near that outer bearing that most often fails first.
Or, can you simply remove it and clean/lube it? I can look it up but since you have removed them yourself, what is the difficulty?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The difficulty comes in the removal. The assembly has a bearing boss that fits inside the passageway in the oil pan. It is a pretty close fit and often there is corrosion that tends to bind the two aluminum pieces together. It is not uncommon for someone to break the cast aluminum assembly while trying to pry the thing out of the oil pan. The result is not pretty.

In addition there is a fair amount of work removing suspension components and the CV axle first before one even gets to the disconnect assembly removal.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, so 10-15 minutes work, got it.....:blinkhuh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do get it out, you certainly can just take it apart, inspect it and just refresh the grease. I did that once but did also replace the seals. The worse part of the whole deal is getting it out.

Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
If anyone has a kit # for the seals and gaskets or the individual part #'s, please share. Otherwise, I will use my many years of parts searching to accomplish this daunting task.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Thanks.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
@TJBaker57 and @Mooseman, for some reason I had this pop in to my head while watching the games today. Since you have removed the disconnect before, is it possible to remove the axle and the disconnect as one unit and separate on the ground or is that just a waste of time? I am always looking for a way to "work smart" and "not hard" and was just wondering if this aspect accomplishes anything.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes and no. The axle needs a good smack from a drift and hammer (more like a 3 lb sledge) to get it to release from the disconnect. If the disco is not held by something, it will actually be harder to separate.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
When I replaced my disconnect in 2014 or 15 the CV axle would not budge so I did just that, removed the two together.

2014-11-15.jpg

Cannot say if it is easier as I have thus far only done it the one time.... so far.

Last edited:

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
So, @Mooseman, what you're saying is that the inner splines have the notorious cir-clip set up, I knew it did already, that never releases as easy as is supposed to. The old 2 angle head pry bar tips, 180 degrees across from each other, and pop them at the same time, does not get the axle to pop out like is supposed to. I always have new cir-clips at the ready for reinstallation.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The old 2 angle head pry bar tips, 180 degrees across from each other, and pop them at the same time, does not get the axle to pop out like is supposed to.
Correct. A hammer and drift or using a slide hammer with an attachment like this are necessary:

51hjE61W12L._AC_SY355_.jpg

And I never heard of anyone needing to replace that circlip. It's a tough little bugger.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I agree that the cir-clips are tough. I had come across the need a couple times in the shops I ran though. I have had the same pair of cir-clips in my box for years though. I know of that slide hammer set up but no longer have that specific tool and attachment. When in the shops, before retirement, I had a complete set of Snap On tools mixed with Mac and Matco and Cornwell and Thorsen and SK. My retirement and move caused me to sell off some specialty tools and that set was one of them and have not re-purchased lots of those specialty tools. I believe I can rent though. Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online