Minor complaint about parts counter folks...

Gary P

Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Upstate NY
Not a biggie, but just wanted to rant a bit about incompetent parts counter people. While prepping to do an all fluid change on my son's 'new-to-him' 2007 Envoy, we gathered all of the fluids and filters together. One thing I forgot about was the rear diff gasket. Not a show-stopper, but on my way home I figured no big deal, and stopped at the local Advance Auto to pick one up.

Many parts counter people I've dealt with are good and helpful, but there's always an exception, and here's one....! The lady behind the counter said there is none for that truck. I told her there was, and I just saw it on their website and it was in stock, and there were 2 or 3 types listed. I had my son's VIN number with me, in case it was needed. She continued to search, and kept coming up with the same answer, that the truck does not use a gasket on the rear diff! :Banghead:

So, instead of arguing with her, I said fine, and drove a few miles further to my local Chevy dealer. Gave them my VIN for the GMC, and presto, no problem! They pulled out the gasket and I was on my way. :2thumbsup:

Changed the rear diff fluid AND the gasket that the parts counter person said was "non-existent" , :undecided: along with new Bilstein shocks and added Air Lift air bags too.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I just used silicone when I removed/re-installed mine.
Actually, I don't recall seeing at gasket when I removed the diff cover. I think I remember having some sort of a blue silicone spread around the cover to seal it.

And yes, there are incompetent people all over the world. Not trying to sound like a dick, but most (not all) females do not belong in an auto parts store. They're only there because of equality. But that saying can go for certain males, too.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
It would seem that if you were able to locate the gasket on the company's website, and she wasn't able to locate it at the store, there must be a system operator error, and break down in training. Having applied for, and completed one local chain's "aptitude testing" and being turned down for part time employment, I'm convinced that the reason I was turned down is because I demonstrated that I've got the ability to think for myself and problem solve. :Banghead:

Reactions: Trkdrvremt and C-ya

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
It would seem that if you were able to locate the gasket on the company's website, and she wasn't able to locate it at the store, there must be a system operator error, and break down in training. Having applied for, and completed one local chain's "aptitude testing" and being turned down for part time employment, I'm convinced that the reason I was turned down is because I demonstrated that I've got the ability to think for myself and problem solve. :Banghead:

... or just give her the part number from the website?

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
... or just give her the part number from the website?
Well, yeah... Or that. Assuming she has the ability to operate the "search" function, and not just run through the drop down tables intended to make the parts counter people's jobs easier.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I hate gaskets on diffs and use rtv even if they had a gasket. Only decent one I have seen is a Lube Locker, but since I cant see them doing anything more than rtv....No need to spend the cash.

Parts counter workers are no longer worth a shit. Any idiot that can hit a keyboard is hired. I wont even go into a store and look for parts. I buy online and just pick up. Even some of the idiots they employee have trouble with that though.

Gary P

Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Upstate NY
At my buddy's shop, they rarely use a diff gasket. He told me to just RTV it, but don't use the "Ultra" type, as it takes too long to set, and frequently leaks. I bought the gasket from the dealer anyway, and it was a match for the one that was on the truck. It's the thick silicone-type one, with the grommets for the bolt holes. Easy-peasy, and no leaks.

When I got home, I double checked the part store website, and I was correct, they do have 3 gaskets listed for my son's Envoy. Funny thing, the dealer charge was LESS than the parts store! How often does that happen???

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The "dealers" have a few deals. I get my best price on Auto-Trak II there for some reason

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The problem I encountered with the rear diff gasket was that the one called out for it all over the web doesn't fit my truck. I went with silicone, too. Too many race cars built with silicone that didn't leak let me trust my daily driver with it as well.

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
HT is right, Parts Counter workers (at least where I am) have gone to next to useless for the most part. Ironically my experience is opposite of hockeyman's, locally I find that the females are more knowledgeable and/or helpful, even if they don't know what I need or why I need it they seem to know the systems well around here. Also ironically the older guys I see these days who kind of look like the auto type guys almost always know less.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The parts counter folks are great if you show up with a part# in hand and know exactly what you need. Saves the headache of waiting on them to try and figure out what you need.

Reactions: Stryker11

Stryker11

May 20, 2016
North Texas
The parts counter folks are great if you show up with a part# in hand and know exactly what you need. Saves the headache of waiting on them to try and figure out what you need.
This

Reactions: DocBrown

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
In have had great results with "ultra-black" or "right stuff" RTV, just have to get it clean and oil free....Mike.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011

X3 on that. I always look up what I need ahead of time. I don't give them the part # right away, but after they pull the parts to confirm what I'm getting. I've yet to run into a problem, and most of the parts counter people have thanked me for looking it up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online