Mind Numbing Repetition: Humans Midst The Machines

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back in the 1970s... When GM Executives took their first trip to Japan and saw what their Programmable (5) Axis Robotic Machines could do, it probably took them only a few seconds to realize their endless utility. One leap in thought later, the Corporation decided that doing away with all of those expensive, PITA American Auto Workers; some making as much as $45.00 an Hour while doing Mind-Numbing Tasks exactly like these … was a No Brainer. This startling video captures the nightmare that Kyle Reese would come to understand with ...The Rise of AI Machines:

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Funny you mention Kyle Reese... b/c when I saw 'mind numbing repetition' and 'machines' in the title of this post, I immediately thought of the new Terminator movie coming out soon... LMAO

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... in this Day and Age ... The possibility of this actually happening as an AI facsimile probably gnaws at the sub-conscious of more people on this earth than we can imagine. This latest (6th) outing brings back "The OEM Sarah Connor" (the Director James Cameron's Ex-Wife) in an uncustomary and splashing role for a Middle Aged Woman.

But WTH... If Arnold Schwarzenegger can make his perennial Resurrection appearances as the infamous aging, 70+ years old, flesh-covered "T"-Bot... Why Not Linda Hamilton too, reprising her original role, updated as the well-worn, raspy voiced Mother ...of John Connor ? :>)

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, this is getting off-track a bit, but I don't have a problem w/ Hamilton. I do, however, have a problem w/ her character's timeline, as she was supposed to be dead in T3 (or maybe it was T2, even-?) So they'll need to write themselves out of that box. And that doesn't begin to cover all of the non-Ahnold / non-Linda Terminator movies, which Cameron states are 'alternate timelines' (inferring that his movies' timeline is the 'true' one.) Oh, and no John Connor in this one, either... just 2-3 bada$$ b!tches (and one of them a cyborg, to boot.)

I guess we're supposed to just play along and suspend disbelief like we usually do at the movies, right? Lol.

Ever since Avengers: Endgame told all of us that 'Back to the Future' time travel was bullsh!t, I've been mega-confused... that's been 'canon' for 25yrs, now! LMAO

Getting back on-topic... Google announced yesterday (?) that they successfully performed quantum computing, solving a '10,000 year' equation in about 3 minutes.

Say goodbye to the bit, and hello to the qubit.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Everything after T2 was basically deleted with this new reboot. Those were just horrible timelines and stories. Only thing I wonder about this one is where is John Connor? Seems to be an almost all-female cast. So far, reviews have been mixed.

I am a fervent Terminator fan and was grossly disapointed by Genesis. Even T3 wasn't too bad compared to Genesis.

Sorry for this off topic subject going off topic.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You'll have to let us know how they work out the plot, once you see it. 👓

I like the Terminator series, too (prolly pretty obvious, from reading my last post). T2 was the best one, IMO. The special effects took a quantum leap from the original flick (I kinda laugh now when I watch the stop-action skeletal Terminator sequences at the end of it.) And the concept was still fresh.

I saw T3 again a couple of months ago -- and to tell you the truth, I think I liked Genesis better. I didn't even bother with the TV show (Fox), although a lot of people liked it.

If reviews are mixed, I'll just wait for it to hit Netflix or HBO. Of all of them, T2 was the only one I ever saw in a theatre. I remember it was the last date I had with the woman I was seeing at the time -- she 'terminated' the relationship right afterward... LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Man... Now THAT bit of serendipity is pretty Effing SCARY. If the Google-Deep Mind Quantum Computer has successfully solved an intractable "NP-HARD" (Non-Polynomial Time) Problem in just a matter of minutes... then we are destined to become obsolete to Thinking Machines very much sooner than the predicted Kurzweil "Singularity" in around Fifty Years.

This On Topic Video shows the Hubris of Scientists who get 'Goose Flesh' about all of "The Good that Quantum AI will DO for Mankind" without realizing that if it becomes self-aware along the way... the Game will be OVER if such an Immortal Thing decides it can do more interesting things with the entire resources of The Universe. The Human Race will become... an afterthought and perhaps out Atoms will become re-purposed by Thinking Machines as suggested by Prof. Nick Bostrom in his Book; "Super-Intelligence":

These Yo-Yos have NO IDEA what they are playing around with, and they all look JUST Like the Computer Hardware Engineer Miles Dyson looked when working on The Terminator's "CHIP" and Arm... so very eager and enthralled by the Beauty of The Monster. The Q-Bit will make it possible for this Computer to be able to create its own Room Temperature, Super-Conducting Materials, so eventually, it won't need to be locked up inside of a Freezer and chilled down to nearly Zero Kelvin to work.

"Life Imitates Art..."

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, I was thinking about that, myself, as I was reading about it. Shor's algorithm in practice.

We actually may see a third technology leap in our lifetimes (the first two being the transistor and the integrated circuit).

The fourth, when it comes, will be probably be developed by machines. (Skynet! LOL)

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm a big sci-fi fan and some of the stuff we see today that was near impossible even in the 80's. Just look at your smart phone which has more computing power that what they landed men on the moon. It's mind boggling. Even scarier is the data collected on each and every one of us and how it can be used against us. You don't need Skynet for that, just evil people wanting to do evil things. And we're getting to a point where we are too dependant on this stuff that we would be dead in the water without it. Imagine if the big power switch was turned off and nothing worked. We would be in deep caca.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You are completely correct. It WILL (or has ) begun to happen because Human Avarice and Greed are more powerful motivators than Logic and Common Sense. But when this paradigm shift suddenly happens... they (The Bad People) like all of the rest of the population will become completely inconsequential as life forms on The Planet Earth.

The amount of "Big Money" being funneled into the development of AI Technologies is staggering... because reaching that Goal FIRST drives the possibility of this dreadful event happening much sooner than it should... and for all the wrong reasons.

So as you suggest... while the "Sky-Net" inevitability may NOT come to pass ...once the unavoidable conflicts that WILL inevitably happen... happens... then the Superior Human Intelligence we enjoy Will Lose ...once the Super-Intelligent and Immortal Machinery decides that we are perhaps, just in its way. Dr. Sam Harris ...scared the Living Sh*t out of Joe Rogan by explaining this reality in this Video:

...and here is Dr. Harris' giving a TED Lecture on this topic that is equally sobering:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Even equally noted Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson has changed his mind about AI taking over.

• Wow
Reactions: mrrsm and Reprise

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online