Migrating to the US of A

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone,

I know some of you already know that in a few years I plan to migrate to the US with my two brothers and TB 😊!

Now I've heard many different things about different types of Visas, PR etc....

Now I would like to hear from you guys who have first hand experience on what would be the best/fastest way to citizenship in the US for me and my brothers (legally of course!! 😂😂)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Kinda off-topic, but your TB will not be able to come with you sadly. A few have tried to bring them to the US and couldn't for a variety of reasons and they were US citizens (military returning home). Anything exported outside of North America cannot be brought back.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I checked on the official US Gov site for importing cars and i think there wasn't an issue if it was a car that was originally built in the US

From the website:

mported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, revised under the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988; to bumper standards under the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972, which became effective in 1978; and to air pollution control standards under the Clean Air Act of 1968, as amended in 1977, and 1990.

If vehicles manufactured abroad conform to U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards, it is because these vehicles are exported for sale in the United States. Therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Vehicles entering the United States that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It is a 7 year process to become a US citizen

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Canada is good. The weather has been comparable to SA lately so you'd adjust fairly quickly (except in winter at -30c :biggrin:). No idea about the immigration process but don't think it's seven years unless our current diplomatic feud with your kingdom's gov't changed anything.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I would say landing a job or attending school is the easiest path to citizenship. "Easiest", of course, is a relative term. Lots of waiting around and paperwork no matter which route you go.
At least those two options give you something to do here while waiting to become a citizen.

I have worked with 3 expatriates in my in 5 years in the workforce, an Indian, Iranian, and Russian, and they all got their start with an H1B work Visa or F1 student Visa, and did become naturalized citizens within a decade of starting the process.

I think marrying a citizen works too? Probably harder to pull off...

Other than that, I guess all you can do it just apply for your green card to become a Permanent Resident. I'm not familiar with that route.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I have heard things about an investor visa, where if you can show you have around 1/2 million dollars in a bank account and you're intrested in setting up a business, there's an easier way to a green card. Anyone hear of such a thing? Cause my long term ultimate goal is to start a business and be self employed.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yes - $500,000 fast tracks you to a green card - it's called an EB-5 visa.
However, there are yearly limits on how many are issued - and for the past few years, 80% of them have gone predominantly to one place (not KSA).

BTW, the $500K has to be on deposit in a US-based bank, I believe, and may need to be invested / 'at risk'.

Regarding property, since you asked - you can own it here without being a citizen (or even a resident.) You could buy property here tomorrow, if you chose. Might not be able to get in here to *see* that property, but if you've got the money, we've got a deed.

If you are serious about gaining entry, check out www.state.gov - our US State Dept website. There's a section there on immigration, etc.

As someone stated earlier - unless you're really wanting to buy your way in via EB-5, a student visa would probably be your quickest route. And there's no post-grad residency requirement - one can take their newly bestowed US degree(s) and go back to their homeland, or anywhere else they like, afterward. Many Chinese nationals do this, for example; others too (some are even beneficiaries of something called 'birth tourism', but that's another conversation.)

Personally, at your age, I'd look at Canada - and it only costs $135K (CAD) or so to 'buy your way in' there, the last time I looked. Outside of that, Canada uses a merit-based (points) system, so it can be harder to gain entry (it helps to be younger, bilingual, and in a labor segment deemed to be critical to the national interest.) Or pony up your $135K and get to the head of the line.

Canada's going to be a good place to live in the coming years, for a lot of reasons.
Sadly, I'm not entrepreneurial, and over 50 - so the only way I can get in, is as a tourist (6 mos max visit on tourist visa).

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
That's a lot of great information. I thank you @Reprise for taking the time to write up your post. Clears up a lot of things, and gives an interesting look at Canada as a option. Just based on things I've heard it's better to do business in the US than Canada?!

@Mooseman I also have an Indian OIC means I can trade in my Saudi Passport for a Indian one anytime, as you said due to the rift going on at the moment.

Would there be any advantage to having an Indian passport to get into the US

Another reason I aim to start a business early is its hard to start one once you get used to a fixed income coming in 😊

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just based on things I've heard it's better to do business in the US than Canada?!

Define "better" - and from whose point of view?
"Easier" - certainly. It's the wild west out here, and getting wilder.

Would there be any advantage to having an Indian passport to get into the US

Versus a Saudi one? Sure. From two points of view...

- If you work in a technical field at all, you can H1-B right up to the front of the line. Our IT technical, Project Mgmt, and now middle / upper IT mgmt industries are full of H1-B peeps.

- Our government agencies (State, DHS) will consider you as being from a 'stable democracy', vs. a Wahhabi-based monarchy (if that offends you, my apologies, but "it is what it is") You'll be vetted less thoroughly...but if you're a serious candidate for an EB-5, you have 'means', and 'connections', anyway (especially at your previously acknowledged young age, and given the relative socioeconomic realities in your country). Which means the 'vetting' via KSA as country of origin may / may not be thorough at all (as I said above... "It is what it is")

And with that said, I'm going to leave this thread and put my tinfoil hat on, because if I'm writing to foreign nationals on 'best & easiest way to gain entry", and referencing visa programs in the same post, I know the post is going to get flagged by sundry security agencies here. Peace out.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Define "better" - and from whose point of view?
"Easier" - certainly. It's the wild west out here, and getting wilder.

Easier to set up and operate. Accessible to a wider market and business operating materials and a wider customer base are what would be at the back of my mind

If you work in a technical field at all, you can H1-B right up to the front of the line. Our IT technical, Project Mgmt, and now middle / upper IT mgmt industries are full of H1-B peeps.

What if I directly decided to pursue a masters degree there? How would that play out? And isn't there some uncertainty surrounding the H1B visa right now?

And with that said, I'm going to leave this thread and put my tinfoil hat on, because if I'm writing to foreign nationals on 'best & easiest way to gain entry", and referencing visa programs in the same post, I know the post is going to get flagged by sundry security agencies here. Peace out

Haha. Appreciate all your input for sure

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And with that said, I'm going to leave this thread and put my tinfoil hat on, because if I'm writing to foreign nationals on 'best & easiest way to gain entry", and referencing visa programs in the same post, I know the post is going to get flagged by sundry security agencies here. Peace out.

As long as it doesn't get too political, it's all good. NSA might flag ya to the Immigration boys though :popo:.

As far as Canada vs. USA, both have positives and negatives. Canada is generally regarded as a better place to live, less gun violence (sorry, just the truth sadly), gov't paid health care so no health insurance BS to deal with except for meds and dental, longer life span, smaller population in a vastly larger space. However, some negatives are higher tax rates to help pay for all the social services, including health care and subsidized education, health care system that is sometimes restricted to what the gov't will pay or under funded, some increasing gun violence in our large cities (still nowhere near as bad as the US, which is where the guns are coming from), higher costs for most things as we import more than we make ourselves and taxes added on.

There are also similarities between both. We have similar lifestyles, businesses, industries, laws and values. The US has more industries and businesses that are HQ'd there but we do have a few of our own. Both have drug and opioid problems although Canada is set to legalize marijuana on Oct.13 (jury is still out on that one). We have the longest undefended border in the world between us because of this similarity and trust.

One thing to consider if you do want to come to Canada is that you should use your Indian passport/citizenship. As a Commonwealth country, if I'm not mistaken, immigration between the two should be easier. Did you know that as a citizen of the Commonwealth, if you are in a Country that doesn't have an Indian Embassy, you can go to the Embassy of another Commonwealth country, like Great Britain or Canada, for assistance.

I'd advise you to do some research of your own and see which fits better with what you're looking for.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you're looking into engineering I may know a place looking for projects...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Currently pursuing it. As soon as I'm done I'll get in touch with you 😉😊
Look into the creates facility. See if it is something that would peak your interest. It would be for say masters or grad research but it'll get you square in the door. My one boss is straight from Tunisia and iirc the other is from Trinidad. Plus for the most part it is federal work studies so you're on a gov't contract.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Look into the creates facility. See if it is something that would peak your interest. It would be for say masters or grad research but it'll get you square in the door. My one boss is straight from Tunisia and iirc the other is from Trinidad. Plus for the most part it is federal work studies so you're on a gov't contract.

Nice!! Will have a look for sure 👍🏻

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher