Might need a new engine...

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Ok, so there is a possibility that I may need to swap an engine in my truck. If that is the case, is there anything I should do while it's out, anything I should look for as far as an upgrade to the engine, etc... I see a lot of engines listing an "s" for the 8th digit in the VIN, I assume this has some significance.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
8th digit is the engine type. "S" is the 4.2L I6 multiport fuel injection.

Might as well find an engine with "H" and throw it in there :yes:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
And why might you need a new engine? Did I miss a post or something?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
And why might you need a new engine? Did I miss a post or something?

I'm curious too :confused:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Ah see, I didn't go back since it was a body mod... :eek:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm thinking timing chain because of the P0014. If it broke, it would be mechanical carnage :eek:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Grimor said:
If that is the case, is there anything I should do while it's out

I read enough horror stories about the trans cooler lines that I would replace them. Allegedly, they are a little easier to do without the engine in the way.

eXplicit

May 20, 2013
MAY03LT said:
I read enough horror stories about the trans cooler lines that I would replace them. Allegedly, they are a little easier to do without the engine in the way.

My transmission cooler is in the bottom of my radiator. Are there models where they're separate?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
eXplicit said:
My transmission cooler is in the bottom of my radiator. Are there models where they're separate?

Nope. There's no separate cooler unless you install one yourself on any model as far as I know (at least across the non-SS range).

Big difference is early model years had them run alongside the engine where it was kind of a pain to work on the front axle disconnect. Later years (I believe 05+) they were moved to fix that.

eXplicit

May 20, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Nope. There's no separate cooler unless you install one yourself on any model as far as I know (at least across the non-SS range).

Big difference is early model years had them run alongside the engine where it was kind of a pain to work on the front axle disconnect. Later years (I believe 05+) they were moved to fix that.

Mine's an 02 and it's got the cooler in the transmission. That's weird.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
eXplicit said:

Yeah that's all my 03 has. Coming from the trans on the pass side, the lines go up toward the front and do a 90 degree turn by the cat/pass motor mount, then do another 90 degree turn toward the front. Some people who tried it themselves had major issues and at least one guy kept bending them to fanagle them in and ended up breaking one of them. At my work they just cut out any bad section and splice in a new line section with compression fittings, but depending on where they are rusted, that can be a bitch because there's no room.

I didn't know they did a redesign on 05+, so this may not be an issue to the OPs 06.:cool:

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Mooseman said:
I'm thinking timing chain because of the P0014. If it broke, it would be mechanical carnage :eek:

broke timing chain ya say? hmmm, has anyone actually had a broken timing chain on a TB?

And yup, the body mod thread is what I'm talking about for a new engine

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the few years I've had this truck, I've never heard of it breaking so I think it would be rare, but not impossible. Could also be the chain tensioner that let go and let the chain skip. Maybe just one tooth at first, explaining the lack of power and then another which locked it up. This is all just guesses on my part.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
eXplicit said:
Mine's an 02 and it's got the cooler in the transmission. That's weird.

That's the REALLY easy part. Follow the 2 metal lines back all the way until they end in the transmission housing. Now, imagine removing those connections blind and with very limited space to work in. Did this job just a few months ago and it's not quick, easy or fun. And pray that the connections at the transmission housing are not corroded or junked up to the point where undoing the clips takes a miracle.

Grimor,

Hope it all works out for you on the engine front.

Whereabouts in Chicago-ish are you located..??

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
davenay67 said:
Whereabouts in Chicago-ish are you located..??

Elkhart/south bend, IN but I went to school in Chicago at IIT, and lived in the south burbs for a while.

eXplicit

May 20, 2013
Grimor said:
Elkhart/south bend, IN but I went to school in Chicago at IIT, and lived in the south burbs for a while.

My sister-in-law lives in Elkhart. I hear it's a nice town.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
eXplicit said:
My sister-in-law lives in Elkhart. I hear it's a nice town.

it's..... a town. All depends on what part of town you live in.... sorry, just did 5 Jaeger bombs so a little dwunk. ok, 5:00 time to go home from work lol

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, the other option is to drop in a 7.0 V8. But you could get by with the 6.2, or 6.0. And theres the ever so reliable 5.3.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online