might have to suck it up and take a loss on the voy!

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Soooo went to the dealership today to see what they had on the lot....As many of you know,, im looking to sell the voy to get something better on gas...Anyway i found this 2009 Lancer with 32,000 miles on it,,just half ass price talking with them,we were at $13,900(the internet price was maked at $15,000)...Soooo talk of my voy comers around and we were stuck at $7,800 for it:frown:....im going out of town for 2 weeks,,if the lancer is still on the lot then, i'll probably suck it up and do the deal......
View attachment 18397
View attachment 18398

Attachments

• lancer2.jpg
    lancer2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 21
  • lancer1.jpg
    lancer1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 22

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
If your looking to save some gas have you looked at the chevy cruse? It seems to be pretty popular and does run a good 30mpg and I hear its quick for what It has. I know one of the models have a turbo

The-powerful-face-of-2012-Chevrolet-Cruze-hatchback-added-with-the-sharp-headlight.jpg

Plus what is sad is they will over price your truck soo much when they resell it because of the mods!!

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:
$6000 buys a lot of gas. Dose your Voy need alot of work?

hell no! lol ask some of the senior members here that have seen my truck,,,its my baby! drilled slotted rotors,,lots of custom extras,denali running boards,,plus its a 05 with 74,000 miles.....just sick of trying to sell it and hearing "damn nice truck i just dont have the money".........As for the Cruz,,,they are total dogs (i drove one on monday)and this is gonna be a work car,,,i cant justify spending 18,000 or more for something....As for the mark up on mine,,lol yeah i could drive by there the following week and it will be tagged for 13-14,000.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
$6000 buys a lot of gas. Dose your Voy need alot of work?

This. That is at least 30,000 miles worth of fuel right there.

Filter

Dec 5, 2011
I like the lancers a lot. Would love to have a EVO. Like others have said, $6,000 will buy you a lot of gas.
I just bought my 06 LS with 84,000 miles for $7,200. Which leads me to believe the $7,800 from a dealer for yours isn't half bad.:frown:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Damn you've goata nice truck...i'd buy it but I don't have the money.... hehe. ( I really would)

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
silvernclean said:
Damn you've goata nice truck...i'd buy it but I don't have the money.... hehe. ( I really would)
ive heard that many times lol

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
I have a buddy that has one of them. Not all that great on gas mileage and he hates it. He drives his beater Ford F150 all the time. My 98 Z28 could get just shy of 30mpg on the highway, and around town about 24mpg. Until I doubled the horsepower that is, but a stock Z28 with an LS1 can be had cheap these days.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Before you get rid of the 'Voy, I'd do the math. Savings in mileage and price of gas vs. the loss in the trade. Also...if you finance the new vehicle, you also have to consider the interest on the loan and what the payments will be. How long will you have to own the new vehicle before the cost offsets your mileage gains? :twocents:

If you do sell the 'Voy...just know that you're always welcome to hang out with us. :grouphug:

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
A change of driving style might help as well. I'm reminded of a top gear test where they ran a BMW m3 and a Prius around a race track. Prius was driven flat out, m3 just had to keep up. M3 got better mileage.

Slowing down and that $6k price difference might make the Mitsubishi less enticing. An extra ten minutes on the road can yield a couple bucks back in your pocket instead of paying more to save a little.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
He has to keep in mind that the lancer in a couple years and 30,000 more miles with no maintenence costs will be worth more vs the now 10 year old 100,000 mile plus truck plus it may need more maintence as the miles get up there.

Having seen his truck personally...I would tell him to do like I did and keep the truck and get a lil good mpg beater. I did some trading and have a stripper model 97 Eclipse 5 speed. It sucks, but to just drive to work most of the week and to have the second vehicle for when the truck is getting big mods done and cant be driven...it is perfect.

I think you will regret ditching the truck with all the work in it. I wish I had not parted ways with my F-body and had just gotten a cheap car to go along with it instead of having to get something nicer. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
What are you guys ligitimately getting for gas mileage? I can get right up to 20.9mpg on a 150 mile trip. Around town I get about 17-18. Wife drove home on that 150 mile trip and we only got 19.3. I set the cruise at 76mph and she did not, but stayed "close" to that. I have an EXT with a 5.3 too.

The Lancer gets between 21 and 29 according to the EPA. But so does my Jeep Patriot, but I can barely get 22mpg out of on a trip from Daytona to Nashville at about 75mph with the cruise set most of the way. I get about 16 around town, but in its defense I do idle a lot and sit in traffic a lot. I drive about 60k a year in that thing. It also has the CVT transmission, like the Lancer, and it feels like it is slipping all the time. Unless of course it is a 5 speed. In my opinion, the CVT is causing the low gas mileage. When I get on the interstate, the engine is screaming.

ALSO, and this is important, I think you should be able to get a brand new top of the line Lancer GTS around $17500msrp. So the price seems a bit high when you consider a new one is that cheap. That is unless it is the Ralliert. And Remember, it is, for all intents and purposes, an econobox, and not an Envoy. I would take a LONG test drive before you make that decision. Like I mentioned earlier, my buddy hates his. He is way upside down in it and ends up driving his old a$$ F150. He had an 01 Z28 before and he claims he got better gas mileage out of his Z. I know I could squeeze out around 30mpg from my 6 speed Z28, when I am not driving like a maniac.

I guess what I am saying is, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before buying. Going from a nice, relatively large, SUV to a Lancer is a big jump.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
mnypitTBEXT said:
What are you guys ligitimately getting for gas mileage? I can get right up to 20.9mpg on a 150 mile trip. Around town I get about 17-18. Wife drove home on that 150 mile trip and we only got 19.3. I set the cruise at 76mph and she did not, but stayed "close" to that. I have an EXT with a 5.3 too.

The Lancer gets between 21 and 29 according to the EPA. But so does my Jeep Patriot, but I can barely get 22mpg out of on a trip from Daytona to Nashville at about 75mph with the cruise set most of the way. I get about 16 around town, but in its defense I do idle a lot and sit in traffic a lot. I drive about 60k a year in that thing. It also has the CVT transmission, like the Lancer, and it feels like it is slipping all the time. Unless of course it is a 5 speed. In my opinion, the CVT is causing the low gas mileage. When I get on the interstate, the engine is screaming.

ALSO, and this is important, I think you should be able to get a brand new top of the line Lancer GTS around $17500msrp. So the price seems a bit high when you consider a new one is that cheap. That is unless it is the Ralliert. And Remember, it is, for all intents and purposes, an econobox, and not an Envoy. I would take a LONG test drive before you make that decision. Like I mentioned earlier, my buddy hates his. He is way upside down in it and ends up driving his old a$$ F150. He had an 01 Z28 before and he claims he got better gas mileage out of his Z. I know I could squeeze out around 30mpg from my 6 speed Z28, when I am not driving like a maniac.

I guess what I am saying is, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before buying. Going from a nice, relatively large, SUV to a Lancer is a big jump.

I have never seen above 15(except 1 time on on a 10 hour highway drive)less since larger tires. I've never seen my mom's TB above 13(she only drives it like 5 minutes to work and back)

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
I have never seen above 15(except 1 time on on a 10 hour highway drive)less since larger tires. I've never seen my mom's TB above 13(she only drives it like 5 minutes to work and back)

WOW. I knew the SS got lousy mileage, but never expected anyone was getting that bad of mileage. Now, are you using the onboard instant mileage tool? I do not. It is somewhat close, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My wife drives ours to and from work and we take the boat back and forth about twice a week(about 15 miles roundtrip), and I have never seen less than 14mpg. And that low number was towing at 75mph when I could, and in traffic through Orlando at 530pm on a Friday. So I expected it. Now, when I am hauling a$$, and stomping on the gas all the time, it does drop, but again, never that low. My buddy with an Avalanche, with the same drive train does not even get as low as you say.

I am surprised at yours. Is this normal for the rest of you guys?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Y
tbuckalew14 said:

I must say something ain't right. With my big wide heavy 33s, all the steel armor, and roof basket I see 15 in town n 16 or so on hwy and expect better when I regear.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I get about 15-16 in mixed travel.
I would consider taking the some of the 6k difference and getting a gas sipper.
if you don't already have an extra car, it is nice to have a 3rd car with 2 drives then if you go out one morning and one won't crank you get in the other one and go.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:
hell no! lol ask some of the senior members here that have seen my truck,,,its my baby! drilled slotted rotors,,lots of custom extras,denali running boards,,plus its a 05 with 74,000 miles.....just sick of trying to sell it and hearing "damn nice truck i just dont have the money".........As for the Cruz,,,they are total dogs (i drove one on monday)[/B]and this is gonna be a work car,,,i cant justify spending 18,000 or more for something....As for the mark up on mine,,lol yeah i could drive by there the following week and it will be tagged for 13-14,000.

Do what? We've got an '11 ECO 6MT, and they run a 16.3 1/4, whereas the I6 TB runs a 15.9-16.0... TB is faster, but not by much...Put big, heavy wheels on the TB, and they're easily the same... Tune both, and the TB gains 2% HP, while the Cruze gains 20%... We have a 5.3L SWB TB, and the Cruze feels about the same, and is much more fun to drive...

ETA: We both run the piss out of it, and she's averaging 35mpg commuting in the summer, and 32-33 in the winter. On the highway, if I'm trying to get mileage, I've gotten 47.5mpg on a 400 mile trip (at 70mph, 20 miles of city, 2 cold starts, A/C on the whole time, and about 20% in the rain), and if I just set the cruise at 74 and just run it, it got 44.5mpg on a 1300 mile trip, including driving around Memphis for 2 days... This was on winter gas.

Doing the math, with the $8k we put down on it, the payment is $220/month, and just the gas savings literally makes the payment and over 1/2 of the plates/insurance...

Mike

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys!...I have thought about keeping the voy and getting a "beater" but i drive a ton everyday for work so the car i get has to be reliable with lower miles...I cant have a "beater" because it has to last...The last thing i want is to have to dump money in a second car just to make the drive to work.....
As for the Cruz/Lancer idea,,,i like the cruze BUT since they are relatively new i cant find one for under 16g's that i like,,,,i cant get myself to drive a base model stripped down car....The Lancer is by no means a done deal,,i saw it, drove it and liked it...The Cruz i drove was just LS model,,,i would suspect that the LTZ has much more power BUT its at that price i dont wanna spend.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:
Thanks for all the input guys!...I have thought about keeping the voy and getting a "beater" but i drive a ton everyday for work so the car i get has to be reliable with lower miles...I cant have a "beater" because it has to last...The last thing i want is to have to dump money in a second car just to make the drive to work.....
As for the Cruz/Lancer idea,,,i like the cruze BUT since they are relatively new i cant find one for under 16g's that i like,,,,i cant get myself to drive a base model stripped down car....The Lancer is by no means a done deal,,i saw it, drove it and liked it...The Cruz i drove was just LS model,,,i would suspect that the LTZ has much more power BUT its at that price i dont wanna spend.

Oh, you spoiled little brat, just buy the base model and MOD IT. :raspberry:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:

Um, yeah... The LS is a NA 1.8 Ecotec, and the LT/ECO/RS/LTZ are the turbocharged 1.4L.

Mike

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I just got an 09 Malibu with a 3.6L v-6 for my daughter. Lots better than the earlier ones(97 - 07). An 08 4 cyl can be had for around 10K with 60K or so miles on it. The 4 cyl are alot better than they used to be.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
fletch09 said:
Oh, you spoiled little brat, just buy the base model and MOD IT. :raspberry:

My BASE Cobalt LS (traded in on TB)

020808_17142.jpg

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Short Bus said:
My BASE Cobalt LS (traded in on TB)

020808_17142.jpg
ive looked at a couple cobalts,,one was a ss...Ive looked at neons some srt4's,scion tc's,the cruz,a hyundia elantra, a nissian ultima, and now this Lancer....

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
My smaller car was a seat Ibiza FR turbo massive engine and great on gas! Too bad they aren't popular in the US! The base is the VW golf and has the same engine. It's similar to the same as trailblazers and envoys.

Cars are awesome, powerful, plenty of space and good on gas!

Love those cars but not popular here in Saudi either. I've owned 3 already back home lol!

Between the lancer and cruze I'd take the lancer, it's Japanese and the cruze isn't really an American car. It's originally a daewoo lacitti but sold as a cruze in the US and middle east. They just changed the badge.

I love how it looks and drives but not really sure it would last for the kind of driving you're looking for.

My dad had a lancer from 1997 up to few months ago with over 300000 kilometers she was running strong and never had a engine problem.

Good luck!

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Bartonmd said:
I've gotten 47.5mpg on a 400 mile trip (at 70mph, 20 miles of city, 2 cold starts, A/C on the whole time, and about 20% in the rain), and if I just set the cruise at 74 and just run it, it got 44.5mpg on a 1300 mile trip, including driving around Memphis for 2 days... This was on winter gas.

Doing the math, with the $8k we put down on it, the payment is $220/month, and just the gas savings literally makes the payment and over 1/2 of the plates/insurance...
Mike

I really like this kind of math, it catches my attention! I parked my Envoy for a year and drove a 2.2l Ecotec powered Saturn L200. I was averaging city/hwy 30mpg. I got as high as 38mpg avg (no DIC in that car!) on the highway a few times and just about always 22-26 city (depending on weather, a/c, etc). I had to sell it in December. I thought I'd be saving money because I had the Satty financed but with the gas on the Envoy, Im still out the payment & some!
As soon as the new boat is paid off (going to try to get the seller to finance me), Im going to be looking at a Cruze Eco. Cant tow the new boat with the Envoy anyways (9000+lbs). :frown:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I have maybe ran 4 tanks through the 9-7 so far and my last tank was 17.76mpg manually calculated with mostly highway miles and again that is AWD and a 5.3 with the standard 3.73's.
This past summer when the dealer screwed up on the Rainier when they put a new computer in it and they had it for several months straight in the shop and so I drove many program cars long term. When the dealer didn't have one available for me they gave me an actual rental. It was a POS HHR, clown car red, dented up, with half the electrical parts working and all (it had 26,000 rental miles on it). Anyway, I couldn't believe the MPG's this thing got. I hated it and loved it at the same time. Almost 40mpg's and they are literally dirt cheap only a couple years old. If I had a gun to my head and had to get rid of my 9-7 for economic reasons, I would maybe find a black HHR. My problem with driving one of these little cars is the safety apsect of getting hit with for example a 360. The hardest thing to get used to was the lack of torque in the 4 cylinder. I found myself flooring it all the time just doing normal things like merging and passing and still the mileage was off the charts.

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
well today was the day,,a guy came over from Grand Rapids Mich with 10grand in cash and left with my voy....I was kinda sad seeing it go actually,,the voy has been a great truck since march of 08 when i bought it...bought it bone stock and turned it into a vehicle version of me,, a few of the members on here have saw it in person,,lot of hard work and time went into it,,seemed like i was always modding something on it lol....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sucks to see it go. It is a beautiful truck. Hopefully they appreciate it and care for it. Maybe they will join up here.

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Sucks to see it go. It is a beautiful truck. Hopefully they appreciate it and care for it. Maybe they will join up here.
i told him about the site,,he said he was gonna check it out.....And the last thing i said to them before they left was "take care of her!"

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
jayd1563 said:
well today was the day,,a guy came over from Grand Rapids Mich with 10grand in cash and left with my voy....I was kinda sad seeing it go actually,,the voy has been a great truck since march of 08 when i bought it...bought it bone stock and turned it into a vehicle version of me,, a few of the members on here have saw it in person,,lot of hard work and time went into it,,seemed like i was always modding something on it lol....

Best looking Voy I have ever seen!!
If I had the money it would be mine!!

sLAsh

Jan 26, 2012
Jkust said:
I have maybe ran 4 tanks through the 9-7 so far and my last tank was 17.76mpg manually calculated with mostly highway miles and again that is AWD and a 5.3 with the standard 3.73's.
This past summer when the dealer screwed up on the Rainier when they put a new computer in it and they had it for several months straight in the shop and so I drove many program cars long term. When the dealer didn't have one available for me they gave me an actual rental. It was a POS HHR, clown car red, dented up, with half the electrical parts working and all (it had 26,000 rental miles on it). Anyway, I couldn't believe the MPG's this thing got. I hated it and loved it at the same time. Almost 40mpg's and they are literally dirt cheap only a couple years old. If I had a gun to my head and had to get rid of my 9-7 for economic reasons, I would maybe find a black HHR. My problem with driving one of these little cars is the safety apsect of getting hit with for example a 360. The hardest thing to get used to was the lack of torque in the 4 cylinder. I found myself flooring it all the time just doing normal things like merging and passing and still the mileage was off the charts.

If you liked the HHR try the SS model. Turbo 4 with a fair amount of space. I have a cobalt SS for my DD and it's a blast to drive and gets decent Mileage at the same time. With a tune it's pretty easy to push over 300 hp out of these 2.0l engines.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:

sorry to see it go. :frown:
but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online