Might have serious issue with frame/suspension

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I started hearing a light tap or creak about a month after I replaced my rear shocks.

I was thinking I might have left a bolt loose so I climbed under today and took a peek.

Backstory to this, I bought it new and had the underside coated and I haven't had any real issues. I did remove some light surface rust about 2 years ago and recoated some of the frame.

I know this area has been a concern with other members, but this could likely spell doom for this trusty steed.

Curious to thoughts of members who have dealt with this.

Thia is where the top RH rear control arm mounts to the frame behind the RR wheel.

Ugh.

Screenshot_20220512-162910_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-162842_Gallery.jpg

What has me pondering options is everything I have done to keep it roadworthy over the last 2 years.

All new GM OE springs specific to each corner, shocks and strut cartridges, brake lines, parking brake cables, trans cooler lines (complete) PS lines (complete) PS pump, PS cooler, steering rack, lower strut mounts, fuel filler neck, spare tire hoist, front disconnect, new front driveshaft from T-case to diff, hub and bearings, master cylinder, calipers, pads, rotors, sunroof doctor repair kit for track.

I'm almost fine with swapping frames... but that's borderline lunacy.

Very upsetting.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You could always section the bad area of frame. Finding a donor shouldnt be to hard if you get it from the right area of the country..

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That just sucks big time. Maybe a welding shop can advise if it can weld some plating on it.

What kind of coating was originally put on it? Is it that supposedly permanent rubber like stuff? Not to rub salt on the wound, I'm sorry to say that it's the worse thing to put on a vehicle as it will trap salty water under it and rust even more. Only thing I ever do is annual oil spray.

Reactions: Sebago210

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Call a few body shops and see if they can fabricate a part for it. May be too expensive.
Search here under 'frame repair'. Seem to remember someone makes a weld on part for that.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
You could always section the bad area of frame. Finding a donor shouldnt be to hard if you get it from the right area of the country..
I will surely look around. I'll bring my DeWalt 20V sawzall and 3 batts..lol.
What kind of coating was originally put on it? Is it that supposedly permanent rubber like stuff?
I had it undercoated at the dealer after I took delivery of it. Wasn't that Ziebart garbage that's for sure.

Rest of the undercarriage looks pretty good.

Screenshot_20220513-200451_Gallery.jpg

This is the pass side in front of damaged area.

Screenshot_20220513-200357_Gallery.jpg

I'm not going to throw in the towel that's for sure. I will get the arm off and see where I need to add metal. The RH side of the pocket is good, it's the left side and bottom.

Also the inside of the frame rail is flaking so some good prep and POR 15 might me in the works.

Been looking for a reason to buy this anyway.

I will visit some good frame repair shops also.

Sebago210

Oct 9, 2020
Masshole
Same here! My 04 TB LS 4WD has treated me well, and I was doing the same. Just received a l/f driveshaft to replace torn boot, complete exhaust (cat back) and the Bilstein rear shocks which finally arrived, the front struts are still on a ship floating outside of Long Beach. After replacing the both rears, I noticed this (see photos). My mounting bracket had cracked in half, and the attaching portion of the frame was rotted. CRAP! I packed up all the parts and was set to return them to sender, sat outside the FedEx office when I decided to see if a welder was will or able to take on this job. I lucked out. $425.- later I am on the road again, and the new parts are going in. I had recently replaced both upper control arms, the ones that rust & break. Now,... to upload photos, wish me luck. Loaded, before & after mixed, but you can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_4998[1].JPG
    IMG_4998[1].JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4995[1].JPG
    IMG_4995[1].JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 23
  • SFOI1476[1].JPG
    SFOI1476[1].JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 25
  • NBTM7458[1].JPG
    NBTM7458[1].JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 26

John T.

Dec 26, 2020
USA
Mine were rotted and slapping around also. A buddy fixed both mine for 800 bucks.

Attachments

• frame 1.jpg
    frame 1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 20
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher