MidnyteRyder's build/mod

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
So bought the tb at beginning of Oct '13. Been doing some mods here n there mainly just LEDs for right at moment.

Day we bought it:
razajyqe.jpg

One first things was running board delete:
6agaha4a.jpg

Then started with led interior n license plate lights:
hazubyhu.jpg

agezu3an.jpg

unazepu3.jpg

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Dome lights were 194 10smd bulbs when I first done the led swap, then I decided to mess around with smd panels and came up with these:
qate9ugu.jpg

On 2/15/14 woke up to my tb being gone from my driveway.. some one stole it! :eek: ended up recovering it bout 20 miles away and the only damage was the front bumper.
ugeqydyp.jpg

Haven't gotten bumper ordered yet, but decided to work on converting to switches, and gauges to led. Got all the switches done tonight finally now to work on the hvac, radio, and gauges.

a6u9u5a4.jpg

a4amu9ur.jpg

by6ybu4u.jpg

2uma7yzu.jpg

yna6ejup.jpg

bu3u8yha.jpg

And yes they are pink LEDs lol

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
AquaLady said:
Thats so hot. To be honest, its my first time seeing this done.

Haha thanks! But I'm Deff not the first one that has done the led conversion, check out the led mod thread in the appearance section.. :smile:
The wife sure likes the pink though lol

AquaLady

Feb 12, 2014
I plan on doing that too but its hard to find the right color for a dark green truck...unless...I paint it...black...

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Just go with what ever color you want.. the wifey said if I went pink with gauges n switches then I could do about what ever else I wanted to with the truck. :biggrin: I didn't think I would like pink at first, but seeing them in person it looks pretty bad ass really. Haha

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright so time for some catch up.. lol

I wanted more light from the dome lights up front, and noticed that some of the tb's have domelights in the overhead console, all i had was the sunglasses holder.. hmm..

Off to ebay i went to find me a new console.. found one at a decent price i thought.. 25 bucks..

My console on left, new on right.
View attachment 33124

I had to rewire the new console, since it was from an 05, and it had the male plug end on the console.. my console had the female end on console. upon rewiring, I found out my truck was wired for a noise cancelling microphone for a bose system, which i dont have, and it didnt have the dome light wires going to the console. I cut the microphone wires back on the factory harness a few inches, and soldered some more wire to those 2 wires, and ran them over to the driver dome light above the door and tapped into the dome wires (orange for constant 12v, and brown/white for the Dome control). Now everything looks factory.

For installation, I had to dremel some of the plastic where the console mounts to make room for the dome light plug on the new console. I also had to pick up some No.8 screw an inch, and inch and half long to mount the new console, since the new console had the screw holes more towards the outside than the old console.

New dome installed with leds
View attachment 33125

Attachments

• IMG_20140227_234741_201.jpg
    IMG_20140227_234741_201.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20140228_094122_293.jpg
    IMG_20140228_094122_293.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 73

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Okay so I have pics up of the switches...

Was thinking what else could be done that was simple and not have to tear the dash apart and the rear view mirror came to mind.. no pics of it tore apart, but finished product..
View attachment 33135

After that was done, I figured it was time to start tearing dash apart and start on hvac..

Half way done.. Pink for the buttons, and White for the Dials
View attachment 33126

All buttoned up.. Im still searching for a new fan speed button, but other than that Im happy with how it turned out.
View attachment 33127

Next was the radio.. boy was this a pain.. :crazy: took me quite a few hours to figure out the polarity and how they are wired.. for some reason this was the hardest part of the whole conversion..

Decided to try just one led in a spot to see how it was gonna work out, and upon taking the stock light out, and installing and removing the led a few time i burned up that spot of the board.. :hissyfit: Which you can see in the pic below(bottom right spot). Oh well its just for the auto eq/auto vol... not such a big deal

Here is what i have found out for the polarity of the 6 disc indash changer..
View attachment 33128

all the leds in but since i burned the board out on the one spot, i had to run a jumper to the one next to it... figured would see how its gonna look..
View attachment 33129

Looks great!.. except for that one button..... :ugh: well lets try to use some hot glue to hold the led in and use jumpers to solder it in and make it work...
View attachment 33130

Take it out and hook it up and now the one where i burned the board and the one just to the left of it.. No Worky.. :hissyfit:.. take it back apart and check all connections, resolder a couple.. make sure all wiring is right.. take it out again and still not working.. did this for about 2 hours back and for trying to figure it out :confused: finally i just gave up for now... maybe revisit later on in a month or so...

Also on the look out for some new buttons since mine are faded and look really bad... but just havent decided if its worth spending 80 bucks on them yet or not...
Anyway the radio and hvac done..
View attachment 33131

Figured since the dash was all apart for the hvac n radio.. maybe i would tackle the cluster to finish it all up.. upon pulling the needles out already have an issue... the tach and fuel needles pulled out with the metal spindle that is supposed to be in the stepper motor.. :hissyfit: guess its time to do stepper motors now.. oh well instead of waiting i figured i would just go ahead and do the leds to see what everything is going to look like..

Kinda went overboard on the leds though.. Decided that I would install 2 leds for every contact spot.. just had to bend them a lil bit.. didnt get pics of them, but will when i do the steppers here in a week or so. got the leds in and decided to see what it looks like, and they look purplish instead of pink :blinkhuh: I remember one of my buddies had a silverado that he scraped the backing off the gauge face to get his to show true colors... under the white on the back was a blue tint... so thought maybe thats the deal with this...

So to walmart i go for some goo gone, some simple green, and some spray adhesive to glue the face back down.. get home and put some goo gone on the back of the face and try to scrape with a butter knife.. was afraid to hurt the gauge at first, after scratching for like 5 min i finally get a lil spot cleared... There had to be a better way to do this.. so i looked around and found i had some brass brillo scouring pads, and was hoping they wouldnt hurt, but figured i would try.. start scrubbing and hey this is alot easier than the butter knife.. lol :wootwoot: Took maybe 45 min with a couple smoke breaks.. after got all the backing/blue off I scrubbed it down with some dawn to remove the goo gone..

Pic of some the blue gone..
View attachment 33132

Was excited to see how it looked now that the blue was gone..
View attachment 33133

Everything looks good, so now time to glue face back on and put everything back together. Now the only thing left is the steering wheel controls, but they will have to wait for another time.. the wife was starting to get worried that the truck was never going to get put back together since ive had it apart for about 3 days doing all this..

View attachment 33134

Attachments

• IMG_20140303_142650_445.jpg
    IMG_20140303_142650_445.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20140303_175956_802.jpg
    IMG_20140303_175956_802.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Radio polarity 1.jpg
    Radio polarity 1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20140306_130947_100.jpg
    IMG_20140306_130947_100.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20140306_133015_714.jpg
    IMG_20140306_133015_714.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20140306_225836_372.jpg
    IMG_20140306_225836_372.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20140306_191743_317.jpg
    IMG_20140306_191743_317.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20140306_214221_986.jpg
    IMG_20140306_214221_986.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20140307_193917_808.jpg
    IMG_20140307_193917_808.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20140228_185250_999.jpg
    IMG_20140228_185250_999.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 53

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mounce said:
No problem, Midnyte! Did you mention the de-molding and de-racking though?
Negative I didn't mention those lol.. Although I'm thinking about putting rack back on.. But body paint it.. My roof is scratched where the rack used to be.. Idk haven't fully decided on it yet haha

Reactions: Mounce

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mounce said:
I personally don't like the rack delete, makes them look smaller than they already are. I'd like to see color-matched though! :popcorn:
The ext's look diff without rack.. That's y I kinda like it. Its unique :smile:

Once I find a house n get approved for it, the mods will start back up haha. Of course first thing is to get front bumper replaced then prob rack, n then down the line will be projector retro.

Reactions: Mounce

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I really like your overhead console mod. I have the one with the recorder (which I'll never use) and three window buttons, two rear sides and the sun roof. Looks like the consoles with the lights were made with one OR two buttons, not three.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright so I decided that I wanted to update my truck a lil bit.. So found the elusive rare 05 white face cluster and decided that I was just going to swap the face over to my cluster to give it that updated look.

A Lil look at the differences between the stock 03 black face n 05 white face.

Upon thinking about the face swap I had thought about trying the smd strip method to light the cluster as the 5mm leds I put in were kinda dim and had hot/dark spots. So figured I would try some 5050 smd strips in the cluster.. When they arrived I started to think maybe the 5050's were too bright. Lol

Tore the white face cluster apart and deblued the face..

After all that was done.. It was time to take my old cluster out so I could install the strips in it. I did buy the waterproof ones, But stripped the silicone off of the ones going in the cluster to help when bending around the bezel

And finished product: which is super bright! I would probably Say that 5050's are too bright, the 3528's would probably be more well suited for the cluster.

A Lil before n After the white face and smd strip swap.

redmaro42

Sep 25, 2014
Looking good. One suggestion would be to get the dorman radio replacement buttons for those worn out buttons. :biggrin: Other than that, the LEDs are coming along nicely.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
redmaro42 said:
Looking good. One suggestion would be to get the dorman radio replacement buttons for those worn out buttons. [emoji3] Other than that, the LEDs are coming along nicely.
Thanks man!

I actually just picked up a Kenwood double din DVD receiver last week for cheap n just ordered all the harnesses n stuff today [emoji2]

I'm going to replace the hvac buttons n then get all the updated switches ( doors, n 4wd) too so hopefully everything will be uniform.

BowtieLady

Feb 27, 2015
Aarkon said:
Sounds like a plan
I agree, but let's see what midnyteryder196 (and his wife) think of it. lol I mean my hvac & steering wheel buttons are fading anyway.....could find a decent set and ship them straight to him for pink led conversion. At least I know he would take the time to remove the blue stuff that makes them look purple. When he is done, have dear hubby switch them out for me :wink: then I won't be either parked or driving my baby with no heat/ac lol and if I got it timed to when dear hubby is fixing dash vents, I'd be killing 3 birds and all that lol
I'm telling you, there's a strategy to EVERYTHING.

Reactions: Aarkon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.