Michelin tires dry rotting

irecknso

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Is anybody else having issues with the Michelin tires starting to dry rot before the tread gets down to the tread wear bar? Had a dodge dakota with same brand did the same thing. Michelin states that these tires have a 65000 mile warranty , bought the TB used with Michelins on it ,but I don't know how long. Still got plenty of tread left.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check here: Top 211 Complaints and Reviews about Michelin Tires

Lots of griping.

The date of tire manufacture is molded into it. Look for a string starting with "DOT" and ending with four digits. Those digits are the two digit week and two digit year of manufacture.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Shame about all the gripes, at least their brand of wipers works pretty good :yes: originally bought them for the F150 I had and never applied them, turns out the TB took the same size, which was an incidental bonus.

irecknso

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Thank roadie, just checked it had 12/06 on them so I guess it is time for new tires! I bought the TB in 2011 with 71,000 miles on it now I've got 110,000.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
for what it is worth, my Bridgestones at five years old also started to crack, and had plenty of tread left.

they do not last forever.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
My OEM spare tire, a Goodrich I believe, never used, is still good.

When I got new tires a couple of months ago I had them take it off and I was going to swap it out for the best of my take offs. They removed it from the rim and checked it out inside and out, no dry rot and no cracking.

Not bad for an almost 13 year old tire. Mind you, I'd only use it to get me out of trouble to somewhere I could get the other one repaired.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I would not trust a ten year old spare.

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
Some dry rotting/ozone cracking is normal, especially on tires over 5 or so years old. Just because they are doing that does not mean the tire is in imminent failure mode. Most major tire manufacturers will advise to replace a tire that is 10 years or older.

I have some Potenzas on my '68 Le Mans, they were made late 2000. Still have a lot of tread, since I only put about 2K miles a year. Thinking about some 17'' wheels for an upgrade from my 15'' Cragars.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
You might be able to get a credit for the remaining tread. Im not sure how it works on time. I was able to get 86 dollars back on a 65000 mile tire that I only got about 27k Miles out of. Got me a set of Continental LX20 Eco Plus on there now. These are rated for 70k. So here is hoping they get me to 200k miles.

The Continentals are about 125 a tire at Tire Rack.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
BFGoodrich Help | BFGoodrich Tires

Quote:

It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone . However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use. While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit. For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement recommendations, when specified (but not to exceed 10 years).

A lot of vehicle manufacturers specify a six year life span for tires.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/answers/doctor_specs.asp

Quote:

We warranty tires for 6 years from date of manufacture. This is based upon our belief that a tire should be replaced based on age, even if it is not worn out.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
As I said, it would be used to get me to a place to have the other repaired...even if it means doing 40mph on the freeway in the slow lane with the hazards going.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
meerschm said:
I would not trust a ten year old spare.

I did a year or two ago. Aside from a bead leak that can't seem to be fixed it worked just fine. Put a couple hundred miles on it. Probably the most it had ever seen :rotfl:

I definitely gave it a look over before using it though.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I felt the same way about the spare until I changed it. I just figure if you had to change a flat, that would not be the best time to not trust the spare.

and of course, we know they sell cars without any spare, so a flaky one is better than none, I guess.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
meerschm said:
I felt the same way about the spare until I changed it. I just figure if you had to change a flat, that would not be the best time to not trust the spare.

and of course, we know they sell cars without any spare, so a flaky one is better than none, I guess.

My 'vette has no spare. It hasn't inconvenienced me yet, but I also keep roadside assistance on my insurance for the paltry $2.99/month, and I have a tire repair kit in one of the storage bays with a small compressor in case I'm ever in desperate need. In the vast majority of cases, though, I'll just get a tow to a tire shop.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The Harmony's we just replaced were cracking on the sidewall after 3 years, my OE Cross Terrains were cracking before 60K and that was roughly 3-4 years.

As of last year, my Michelin Pilot's on my Grand am were not cracking, sidewall is still good today but I noticed the bottom of the grooves in the tread were showing cracking now. I had these Pilot's installed in 1997-1998 somewhere in there, and they have a big "Made in USA" stamp on the side. Being it's the "spare" vehicle it doesn't get driven much but is stored outside.

Don't make em like they used to.

May 5, 2014
Bought my TB new in '08' just replaced the original Michelin with Michelin Latitude Tour. Same size on the stock rims.

As with everything (even us human types) age, how something is cared for and the environment it's exposed to has differing effects on it.
Sure I probably could have stretched my old tires further, but my life & that of my family is worth the new rubber.

Bought the Michelin because they've given good traction in the snow/rain, good ride, and are quiet.

As with everything just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: shepherd92683

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ahabofthepequod said:
As with everything just my 2 cents worth.
Hello again old buddy! Saw you poking about at trailvoy today and wondered if you were ever going to get around to joining us at the party here. Pretty darned lonely with the tumbleweeds there, I bet. Welcome, and enjoy it here.

shepherd92683

Dec 23, 2012
As an expert in the tire industry, I always recommend Michelin tires for highway style tires. They do comparatively seem to dry rot a little faster than some others but the benefit of them far outweighs that. IMO after 4-5 years I would replace them anyway because the oil in the tires starts drying out. If the tires are used often, the heat built up in the tires cycles more, giving them a better, non dr trotted look (if they aren't exposed to excessive sunlight/ozone exposure). If they are used enough, generally the tread will be worn and need to be replaced at that time. If not they dry rot and need replaced. After all, I'd rather have good tread and need to replace them rather than no traction because they wore out too soon. I run Latitude Tour and you can't beat them for ride and handling from any T rated tire.

Reactions: IllogicTC

Hiway Diesel

Feb 17, 2013
I use that too. It is good stuff. I spray plastidip on my trailer/RV sidewalls in the off season to retard UV damage. I think it helps, but I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express since the Iced Tea Vodka Incident, so I may be wrong.

Kurb

May 3, 2014
Interesting... I always thought Michelin was a good brand. Actually, the best tires I have had on my Trailblazer were Michelin XC LT4 tires, which is what was on it when I bought it but they are no longer manufactured. I need new tires and was considering getting the LTX M/S, but now I am not so sure.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Kurbinator said:
Interesting... I always thought Michelin was a good brand. Actually, the best tires I have had on my Trailblazer were Michelin XC LT4 tires, which is what was on it when I bought it but they are no longer manufactured. I need new tires and was considering getting the LTX M/S, but now I am not so sure.
It was likely an issue regarding a particular rubber formulation or batch, mixed with at least some of the consumers assuming that rubber will never rot and that the only way to wear them down is by driving. Those are also the kinds of people you'll never, ever, ever want to buy a classic/antique car from if it's been in their garage for a while.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.