Michelin, GM present new airless wheel technology for passenger vehicles

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This is the Michelin Uptis, pretty interesting concept. I wonder how much of a ride difference you'd be able to feel between a traditional tire, and this one? :undecided:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Old news really, just on a newer car. The problem they were having with them is the tire overheating at 45+ mph, and disintegrating. Wonder if they fixed that problem. They have been used in military applications for awhile, and are also available for ATV's.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've seen small versions of those tires for carts and such, and heard of them for military applications. Didn't know they tried them on passenger vehicles already.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I don't know how they would handle the problem of snow/ice packing in there in the colder climates, now that would be a hard ride.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would think they would have sidewalls for appearance and durability reasons. They are just cutaway for demonstration purposes.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I would think they would have sidewalls for appearance and durability reasons. They are just cutaway for demonstration purposes.
Probably that would be the case but, then can you imagine the weight of these things? I mean rubber isn't light so then bigger brakes would be required to stop the flywheel effect of four corners of these things.
Wonder why they are putting technology in this area...did air suddenly become expensive?...can't remember the last time that I was stranded with a flat. Probably one of those things like the rotary engine and flying cars that looks good on paper but, ya know......:twocents:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On the flipside they could be lighter because you now don't need thick treads to resist puncture. The outside area could be much thinner and the added weight of the ribbing equates to roughly the same weight...

That being said it probably doesn't. Oh well. The whole point of this is probably to have less claims about leakage of air on newer cars. Not a problem south but most of the alloy rims around here start seeping a decent amount after a winter or two if not taken care of. Brine sucks.

Reactions: northcreek

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
And TPMS would be a thing of the past. That whole system costs money.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online