Michael's 1999 GMC Suburban K1500

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
As much as I like the Envoy it's being sold in favor of my new daily driver... a 99 Suburban with only 123K on it :smile: I swore I wouldn't buy another vehicle with a 4L60E but it's hard to find a non-trashed GMT400 that doesn't have 300K on it for a reasonable price, and I couldn't justify the loss in MPG to get a 3/4ton Suburban since my boyfriend lives like an hour away.

I need to do an audio upgrade on the 99 Suburban because it's still running stock everything. Sucks! Currently I'm using one of those FM transmitter things to listen to Spotify on my phone. Can't wait until I do a double-DIN conversion with a nice Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth and some Kenwood speakers!

Other than that the Suburban runs fine. Not perfect (a bit rough at idle) but it's a Vortec 5.7 - probably a bad intake gasket causing a vacuum leak and/or leaky injectors. When my 77 Suburban is fixed up and I have some spare money, I want to have a shop do intake gaskets and MPFI spider replacement on it so that I never have to worry about the engine :smile:

This one is going to remain almost completely stock, though I either want to get some nice wheels - I really like black Moto Metal 951s though they might be kind of overkill, so maybe just some newer body style stock GM wheels in good condition.

I posted this picture in my other thread but here's the current fleet. The Envoy will hopefully be sold tonight or otherwise sooner than later.

rQp0hH8.jpg

More pics of the 99 Suburban - y'all think I did OK?

PSVJQJC.jpg

Z1CgJuL.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Truck's in nice shape for the year. You do need to clean up those headlights :biggrin:. Easy way to check for vacuum leaks is using carb cleaner.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Wow, you make me miss my 97 Yukon even more. I absolutely 1st Gen Yukon's and Tahoe's. Rode like I was on a cloud and it had the beastly 5.7L Vortec of course.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Wow, you make me miss my 97 Yukon even more. I absolutely 1st Gen Yukon's and Tahoe's. Rode like I was on a cloud and it had the beastly 5.7L Vortec of course.

And you're making me miss my 96 Yukon :'( we have a big cryfest going on LOL! I really love the 5.7 Vortec engines. I test drove a 2000 Suburban with the 5.3 like a year ago and the ride and interior (and brakes) were definitely nicer but honestly the old style 5.7 is awesome because of the torque down low, and I really like the boxier look of the GMT400 trucks myself. Well, I like the Square Body even better, and that's why I own my 77 Suburban, but the 99 is just so much more professional looking when meeting clients or just in general.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.