Michael's 1992 Chevy C1500

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
To go with my "grandma car" I now have a "grandpa truck" to go with it.

Paid about $2000 - you might think that's crazy high for a 305TBI 700R4 with 240K miles... Well, the interior is PERFECT. Kind of hard to find here in Marin where almost all 90s trucks are beat-on work trucks. Clearly taken care of. Dents and scuffs on the outside as it was the shop truck for a local mechanic's shop for several years, but inside it doesn't look or feel like a truck with 200K+ miles. And it runs great. Yeah, it's not fast, but it runs quite smooth and sounds good for what seems to be the original engine. Apparently the transmission was replaced with a low mileage used unit a few years ago.

All I have to deal with mechanically is an oil change, front brakes and brake fluid flush, the brake light comes on and goes off the dash randomly, the blower motor squeaks on the lowest setting, and the radio is dead.

Modification-wise I think I'm going to keep it pretty stock. I want to put 94+ style Silverado grille/headlights instead of the sealed-beam Cheyenne thing I have going on now, and I already replaced the goofy metal mirrors with the 95+ style plastic mirrors. I think it's going to get a Magnaflow because stock is too quiet. Might try to hunt down some newer body style stock wheels next time it needs tires.

It current has a lumber rack/ladder rack (whatever you wanna call it) I think I'm going try to swap that for a camper shell. Have to find a used one in good condition with a working lock first lol.

If I don't get bored of the truck and nothing major breaks right away I might consider a 2/4 lowering kit, but also undecided on that at the moment.

Y'all are deserving of a picture but all I have on hand is this one. Yes, I know the parking job isn't great, and I have yet to install the new mirror on the drivers side so they don't match, but you get the point LOL:

7pCkxbL.png

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I still want one of those body style in reg cab long bed, but 4x4. Good solid trucks.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I still want one of those body style in reg cab long bed, but 4x4. Good solid trucks.

I intentionally went for a 2wd because I would rather get that 0.5MPG back, I don't need 4x4, less things to break, and if somebody has a 4x4 they're more likely to go off-road which is hard on the whole vehicle.

On a different topic, it seems the gas pedal is much harder to press than the Vortec GMT400s I've owned, and it doesn't have cruise control. Do you think there is anything I can do about this?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Make sure the cable moves freely. Could just be a stiff hinge or signs of a crusty cable that doesn't move freely in the jacket.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Along with that, did the GMT900s you drove have DBW throttle? That might be a contributing factor, vs. the mechanical linkage you have (but Sparky is probably right in that some adjustments or repairs need to be made).

Good on ya... I love the old C/K series (although I like the '80s versions even better). Amazing that it's a shop truck w/ 200K and...25 (?!?) years of age...with a perfect interior (minus the things you gotta fix).

Reactions: shovenose

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Sorry I was referring to Vortec GMT400s... Late 90s... I do prefer the look of square body (73-87) but both I've owned I've done nothing but fight with the carburetor and late 80s TBI squares are rare/overpriced around here.

I guess I'll start the truck and see if it's abnormally hard to actuate the throttle at the throttle body.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
What a great truck, it's been driven like 1k miles since my acquirement, not a single bit of trouble, even after hours of hard driving in 105f heat with the (ice cold) ac cranking. i can't say that about my crown vic lol that thing is messed up.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.