Michael's 1977 GMC Suburban K2500

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
It's, uh, not quite perfect, but I think for $1400 I did OK :smile:

On the way home somebody else told me I have no brake lights. So, that's the first order of business. After that I'll decide what to do.

First pic - more to come!

EL3TOCA.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A beautiful blank canvas for an artist to fill!

Reactions: shovenose

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Nice!

Now it's time to separate the body and start sanding, painting, changing brake lines, body mounts, built 4l80E, 502 FI, some gear work........:smile:

lol. If the SBC350/TH350 in there (somebody swapped it - originally came with a TH400) ever die it might get a Vortec 4.8/5.3/6.0 and a 4L80E. But, hopefully, it'll be a couple years before that happens :smile:

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Nice score. there will always be a soft spot in my heart for three quarter ton subs. My old 83 traveled over 520k miles pulling a car trailer the whole way, before I sold it. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yeah. I see a 6.0 and 4L80E in its future :yes:

Reactions: gmcman

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Oh yeah. I see a 6.0 and 4L80E in its future :yes:

Feel free to send me your credit card, which would accelerate this process. :wink: LOL. The current 350 runs too well to rip out right now. A 4L80E sure would be great, though. The 350 screams at 75mph with the three-speed auto. Then again, 75mph is not enjoyable in this old burb since there's about a foot of play in the steering wheel... that's something I gotta fix.

I fixed the brake lights - it was just two bad fuses. And you know what's even more amazing - the AC works! As well as the AC in my 02 Envoy (so, not super freezing cold) but still plenty good for me.

I forgot how much I love full-size trucks. Almost ran over a lowered Miata that was hiding in the massive blind spot that is my hood on the 77 Burb... Anybody want to trade an 02 Envoy for a GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon? Then I'll have my two favorite GM truck body styles - square body and GMT400. Not to say I don't like the Envoy (I do) but column shifters are better than console shifters any day all day.

Reactions: Mooseman

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Alright, so far only one major issue so far - it died on the way home from work a few weeks ago. It's been parked ever since. It needs a carburetor, according to the shop, so I have one on order - it's just taking like a month to get :'(

I also have a whole bunch of steering components here. Joint, gearbox, tie rods, all that stuff. That'll all go to the shop.

A complete tune up is in its future as well, I'm just busy and a bit low on funds at the moment, and when it's running, it does run well.

When the exhaust shop put in the Flowmaster 40 they angled the tail pipe up by accident. It bothers me, and they said they'd fix it for free if I bring it back. I'm worried that water will go into it and that's why it bothers me.

I did get the audio going. Put in a Pioneer single DIN head unit, kept the old amp from 1992 that the previous owner wired up, and put in two Kenwood speakers in the front doors. Didn't bother with rear door speakers yet. Good enough for now!

Here's the current fleet. I'm selling Envoy (potential buyer checking it out tonight):

rQp0hH8.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Carbs don't just die all of a sudden unless it's just flooding due to a leaking needle, which can be easily fixed by a simple rebuild. Now getting a rebuild kit for these Q-jet carbs may be a challenge though. Haven't kept up with this stuff since I got rid of my 1978 Z-28 in the early '90's.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Carbs don't just die all of a sudden unless it's just flooding due to a leaking needle, which can be easily fixed by a simple rebuild. Now getting a rebuild kit for these Q-jet carbs may be a challenge though. Haven't kept up with this stuff since I got rid of my 1978 Z-28 in the early '90's.
Yeah, the float is stuck or something. That's the problem.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's a sweet find man :cool:

Reactions: shovenose

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online