Mevotech??

mightymx69

Original poster
May 12, 2018
NC
Has any one had any experience with Mevotech? RockAuto has them listed as the supplier for most items they consider "Heavy Duty". I am looking at upper and lower ball joints, and front wheel bearing hub assemblies for my 2002 GMC Envoy SLT.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I put Mevotech sway bar links in my wife's Equinox, they seemed well made but, one failed in a year(but,so did the originals). I went with Moog this time and so far no noise.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I was not a fan of them.

Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
I had sway bar links, and upper control arms from them. spend the extra money and buy moog. mevotech parts all failed within a year

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Chinese Junk IMHO. I got a cracked outer tie rod once. They wouldn't do anything for me except tell me to send it back, which would have cost more than the part. I've also seen their ball joints with boots that wouldn't hold to the joint, allowing water and dirt in.

Spend the money. Get quality parts.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The only off brand parts on my TB are Moog outer tie rod ends. Installed in 2012 with 130,000km. Greased them annually but recently upped to twice a year. Tb now has 227,000km and they are as tight as the day that I installed them. Not sure if that is the norm or not. But in light of this I will try to buy OEM parts or as close to it as I can.

Like Mooseman stated, its more money to send them back. Our shipping rates in Canada are ridiculous, as is our part prices to begin with.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Some don't like Moog but I've had nothing but success with their ball joints and TREs. End links, well, those sucked, but to be fair I never found any jointed end link that was much good.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I've had good luck with Moog. My end links have about 20k and are still tight. I did have an issue in the beginning with the nut backing off, but nothing a little blue locktite and a little persuasion from the impact gun couldn't fix. I'm running their LCA, bushings and sway bar links at the moment and I'm happy with how they are right now.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Like Moog, AC Delco and other "higher end" aftermarket parts, Mevotech has two grades. This is why one can't judge based on another person's experience since you don't know what grade they used. In many cases, they are made in the same factory and simply relabelled.

mightymx69

Original poster
May 12, 2018
NC
Thanks everyone for the responses! Have any of you tried out their "terrain tough" wheel bearing & hub assemblies? I've attached a list of the available manufacturers from RockAuto; having a hard time deciding. I of course am always attracted to any part under the description "heavy duty" haha. I'm thinking maybe I should just get the GM part from gmpartsdirect.com for $190.85; but something tells me they are going to just send me the ACDelco part.

Attachments

• 2002 GMC Envoy Wheel Bearings.png
    2002 GMC Envoy Wheel Bearings.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 10

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd just go with the ACDelco, which supplies GM with their parts. No need to pay dealers' overinflated prices. Even comes in the same box.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sure Timken was the supplier for AC Delco for hub assemblies. I could be wrong though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yeah, forgot we were talking about hubs. ACDelco are overpriced.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If it means anything I've got a full set of their ttx ball joints in hand for the TB and plan on putting them in the Silverado as well. The ttx line is said to be good quality and looks to be as well. Time will tell once installed this weekend.

I wouldn't run their regular line though.

Reactions: mightymx69

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
ACDelco hubs are very overpriced. Before my online buying days, I bought a set for my Tb, OEM were about 164,000km. Looked at Timkens but by then I was hearing they were CCC. I made the buy at the dealer and payed probably 700$ all in. They even gave me a deal.... how nice.

But I will say this: The OEM hubs started to howl but lasted several thousand KM after that. They were still kicking when I replaced them. I liked the warning they gave, not like some others where they just fail completely, taking out the caliper or even having the grease start on fire.

After my tie rod ends failing completely and sending my family and I into the ditch, I wont hesitate to spend extra money on a few crucial parts.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Those Terrain Tough hubs are a brand new item and there won't be much info or reviews out on them yet. I generally gauge quality by, among other things, the duration of the warranty. Mevotech's higher end hubs have a 3-year guarantee, and other Terrain Tough items are limited lifetime, so I am guessing that their new the Terrain Tough TTX hubs will also be lifetime.

My first choice is SKF because they had the best reviews, and NAPA Canada uses them for their highest end premium line. (I usually trust NAPA, but I don't always buy there because of their prices.)

I would probably try those Mevotech hubs though. Price and warranty are about the same as SKF. (Mevotech loves adding some blue color to their premium lines!)

As far as AC Delco parts in general, I avoid the Advantage line, and stick with either the Professional line or the OEM line (if the price is not too far out of line.) AC Delco doesn't actually make any parts anymore; they use the same few manufacturers as everyone else. Advantage is the economy line and Professional is the premium line. (AC Delco also has an even higher-end line called OEM, which are parts sourced from the original manufacturers of the OEM parts. Technically, no aftermarket part can really be "OEM" but it will be the same as what came out of the factory, good or bad.)

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I had one of their TTX upper ball joints on the old Sierra. 'Had', because the UCA's mounting surface for the ball joint was so worn, the TTX joint literally fell out of it (!) during the 20min it took me to drive to the local school lot and break in my new pads / rotors . And I didn't notice it until a day or so later, when I was looking at it in my driveway. Scary.

The ball joint was ruined, but since new control arms traditionally come with new ball joints, wasn't a tremendous loss (went with Moog at retail, since I needed it all immediate-like).

I did like the TTX boot (thick, green, & had a protective cover over it, in the box) and the (2) zerk fittings had a little rubber cover (also green). Cute, I suppose.

The cotter pin for the castle nut was a weird affair - a reusable one that clipped in / out of place. Since the boot was compromised, I looked at the innards, once I got the UCA replaced. It looked to be a substantial piece, as one would expect.

IIRC, some website that had a lot of lifted truck owners were sourcing these TTX joints & selling them on their site (but not as 'branded' Mevotech). Seemed to be very popular with the ppl who bought them.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
IIRC, some website that had a lot of lifted truck owners were sourcing these TTX joints & selling them on their site (but not as 'branded' Mevotech). Seemed to be very popular with the ppl who bought them

I've seen the same. Calling them kryptonite ball joints but I've seen no correlation other than the green boots and they seem to pop up together when you search for one. At least for the full size trucks.

Have had them in the TB over a week with perfect performance, which of course the real story will be how long they last. Overall I liked them, nice. Robust. Hell, the upper ball joints come with their own installation adapter!

Driveworks upper vs ttx in the first picture, factory AFAIK lower vs ttx in the second picture. Notice how much thicker the bases are, who knows how the innards stack up though.

Screenshot_2019-03-27-23-48-24-1.png

Screenshot_2019-03-27-23-48-40-1.png

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the upper, with that thicker base, wouldn't it affect those that run a larger tire that are close to it?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The tires will hit the steering knuckle first, I found that out the hard way. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mooseman and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
For the upper, with that thicker base, wouldn't it affect those that run a larger tire that are close to it?

When I first noticed the difference I got worried about that, having one size wider of a tire on ours but it clears fine. Only way you'd have that is if you just got some really wide tires that weren't tall enough to hit the knuckle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online