Mevotech Ball Joints

oster200

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
United States
I'm needing new upper ball joints and was looking at rockauto for them and was originally going to look at Moog ball joints but under the heavy duty tab they have Mevotech TTX ball joints for only $4 more. They seem nice but there's not much reviews on the TTX model. I know Mooseman has not had good luck with Mevotech. I almost want to get and upper and lower TTX and an upper and lower Moog and see which ones have the least amount of problems. Anyone have any experience with the TTX ball joints from Mevotech?

Mevotech TTX
Moog

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are new and I have never tried or seen them before. They could be good.

I was never impressed by Moog. I've seen cheaper brands last longer.

A good test would be to replace with one brand on one side and another brand on the other side. Using different brands on the same side would not be a good test as upper and lowers wear differently.

Reactions: oster200

trager

Aug 30, 2017
GA
I'll be waiting for updates on how good the Mevotech ball joints are. We will take a closer look at the rig right after we finished installing the new tires, nerf bars and pocket fender flares on the current Raptor project. Heard too about the Moog ball joints quality issue.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I just checked Amazon and the TTX's are $40 each with free shipping.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
@Mooseman sorry mate, that was for the lowers, which I need to do.

oster200

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
United States
So I'm having one hell of a time trying to get the lower ball joints pressed out. I have the ball joint press tool and the adapter kit but it's so stuck on it ended up bending out the receiving tube of the ball joint press tool. Everything was straight but it just literally started bowing the side out. We have grinded off the tab at the top of the ball joints that were pressed in to hold it. Tomorrow morning we are going to be cutting a pipe that is the right size but a lot more stronger and hopefully won't bend. I'm hoping this will work but if it comes to it my dad has a 12ton press that we can use once we take off the LCA. But I'm hoping we won't have to do this.

I was just wanting to update all of you on what's going on.

Jul 24, 2012
When I did upper ball joints I pulled the whole steering knuckle and took them into a parts place with a machining department and they pressed out the old and in the new. Still have the original lowers on at 235,000.

oster200

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
United States
When I did upper ball joints I pulled the whole steering knuckle and took them into a parts place with a machining department and they pressed out the old and in the new. Still have the original lowers on at 235,000.

Yeah I took of the steering knuckle as well. The uppers were not hard to press out at all. The lower ones however are another story. I wasn't originally going to replace the lowers but decided to get them anyways and I'm glad I did. They looked fine but when I took the steering knuckle off the rubber boot was coming off the top and were are a little lose.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The lowers require a special pipe piece that is usually not included in the cheaper set and most rental sets. If you try to use regular one from the kit, it will go sideways. I took it and modified it to go against the two tabs as well as the arm itself.

One time, it just wouldn't come out so I used the torch to heat the LCA around the joint and a BFH.

Reactions: 6716

Jul 24, 2012
The lowers require a special pipe piece that is usually not included in the cheaper set and most rental sets. If you try to use regular one from the kit, it will go sideways. I took it and modified it to go against the two tabs as well as the arm itself.

One time, it just wouldn't come out so I used the torch to heat the LCA around the joint and a BFH.

For sure front end work requires a BFH.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doubt you'll get a response. He hasn't been here since 2017.

They were talked about here:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online