Metal tensioner pulley

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Does such a thing exist? (5.3L V8)

I replaced my tensioner pulley last year. It is making noise again. Checked it and the pulley is a bit loose but it feels almost like the plastic is distorted slightly.

I never liked that it was plastic anyway.

Does a tensioner exist with a metal pulley instead? The idler (smooth pulley) is metal. Not sure why they use plastic for the ribbed tensioner pulley aside from the fact it is cheap (and that's the whole problem with it).

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
From what I can see, it looks like you might have to mod it, using parts from a non-GM.

Even Summit, which has a billet tensioner from ICT for the LS engines - the pulley on it is plastic.

On GM Truck Club I found a thread that might be helpful. Gives two NAPA numbers from an '83 Bronco (one is for the idler, tho), and one of his links resolves to a pulley for an '05-'12 Pathfinder (might be old / changed, given the age of the thread.)

If neither of those work, looks like you're down to taking measurements & either finding a x-ref from another vehicle, or have a shop make one (I can imagine what that would cost; prolly why the 'billet' portion of the ICT one is comprised of the brackets).

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
For the cost of a custom pulley I could just replace it a dozen times lol

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I don't disagree!

If you do decide to 'mod' it with one from another vehicle, post back on what you do; I may want to do the same on mine :undecided:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Dayco makes Serpentine Tensioner Pulleys out of something called "SPUN STEEL" as well as the usual Thermo-Plastic flavors. The attached link is just to give you an idea of what to specify if you can contact Dayco and see if they make a version for the GM 5.3L Engines. The Replacement Pulley in this eBay Advert image DEFINITELY looks... 'Metallic':

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That continental is plastic, looking at the ribs.

The metal Dayco is too big. It is 8 groove and the 5.3L uses a 6 groove belt.

Found one from a ford van that is the right groove count but the diameter was too big.

I might just buy a new tensioner (factory one with 206k may be getting loose anyway at this point) and deal with the plastic pulley. Most of the time most people don't have a problem with them. I just prefer metal if the option is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher