Metal lines 2008 Ascender RWD 4.2

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
There is 2 metal lines that run up and over the driver side wheelwell . What are these lines ? I am seeing a sheen on the ground and it looks like it may be coming from these 2 lines where there is a foam separator on the wheelwell and it looks like it has rusted out in this area . Are these power steering cooler lines ? Hopefully it is not the cooler itself too . What are we looking at pricewise if these have to be replaced at a garage ? Thanks for any info .

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are the power steering lines. Very common for them to rust there, caused by moisture trapped in the rubber isolator.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This is the second time in like a week, and 4th time in a month, for this problem.. Has me paranoid!

I think I am going to go check my power steering lines!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Remove that rubber isolator while you're at it. It's the cause of these rusting lines. Clean them off and apply some rust protection.

Chemman

Jul 13, 2013
Maryland
Cost to have these replaced at a garage is going to be $700 - $1000 or more due to the labor involved.

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
i was quoted $900 , i did it myself , took about 3-4 hours in the driveway. parts are about $100 for both , its a labor job routing the lines.

the steering cooler is easy , took 30 mins total

Reactions: Redbeard

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I hope it isnt a 1000 bucks . Dont need that on top of xmas bills too . Will find out tuesday .

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
its a labor intensive job , how mad is the leak ? can you post pictures of teh actual pipe where its rusted ? a few have been able to cut out the rusted part and splice to high pressure hose in. mine was to bad and i had no option

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Well we will see how the repair lasts . We decided to bypass the PS cooler because that was shot . They said they have done this on a lot on this platform . They said they have never had a problem with any of them overheating so opted with that . $300 versus almost $1000 if they had to do the cooler too .If they had to do the cooler you have to rip half the front end off . They did a nice job on the replacement lines. It actually steers better now than it has in a long time . It only has to last 2-3 more years and it doesnt really get driven too much by my son .

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
the cooler would be $700 more ? something def not right the dorman cooler cost $120 on amazon and takes 20 mins to take on and off. you dont even need ramps but they just make it easier. the bumper practically falls off in your hands its so east to get off.

what lines were leaking ? near the cooler or next to the battery tray / strut tower ?

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
the cooler would be $700 more ? something def not right the dorman cooler cost $120 on amazon and takes 20 mins to take on and off. you dont even need ramps but they just make it easier. the bumper practically falls off in your hands its so east to get off.

what lines were leaking ? near the cooler or next to the battery tray / strut tower ?
Next to the battery tray under that stupid rubber isolator they used , but I had them check the cooler and they said it looked like it was in rough shape . So it didnt make much sense to fix that leak and then have the cooler bite the dust shortly .

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
they replaced the line or patched it for $300 either way lucky you. my cooler failed first so i replaced it , that helped hold pressure and fould the next weakest spot in the line a few weeks after. my lines were shot and needed replacement

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online