Metal flap in fuel filler neck

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Okay, so this morning as I'm filling the truck up after about 20 bucks the gas pump clicks and shuts off like its full. I know its not, so I pull the handle and lock it again and instantly shuts down again. I pulled the nozzle out and I'm pretty sure that I had a metal flap, and that its gone now. The remainder of the full tank had to be pumped at half throttle. Assuming there is a anti-siphon device near the tank that now has a piece of metal roughly the size of a quarter sitting on top of it limiting the flow of fuel into the tank.

I did a little searching and didn't turn too much up, something about the flap not being important and replacement filler neck not including them. is this a common issue with these? is there a recall I'm not aware of?

I'll end up pulling the filler neck off and removing the obstruction I'm just curious if this has been experienced by anyone else.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No recall or anyone else with this issue I have seen over my years dealing with this platform. Sucks it happened to you.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
According to a TSB the metal flap was progressively eliminated in MY 2006 forward when they changed from plastic necks to metal. If the part of the neck that makes contact with the fuel nozzle is metal then there wouldn't have been a flap there.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Is the little metal flap completely gone? Did it break off?

Mine bent upwards 7yrs/100k ago on my first road trip. Filling it up by the fourth time in one day and it bent. No issues.

Also, some gas station pumps are just goofy. One I used to frequent would shut off and/or run slow often. If I pulled the filler spout up just a few inches it would fill at full psi (whatever it is- thanks for the advice of gas station lady).

Just :twocents: if your ride seems to drive fine.

Try another gas station and see if it fills faster?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think that flap is just for anti splashback or something of that nature. It doesn't seal though, so I don't see a problem with just removing the obstruction and moving on with your day. The cap does the seal.

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I cant say for certain that there was a metal flap in there, but I really think there was. It's on 07 so the TSB leads me to believe there was no flap. I guess I'll try a different gas station in a few days and see what happens.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Possibly the pump. I've had that happen before.

Reactions: C-ya

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Covered in another topic, the flap, eventually replaced by just a small tab, is to prevent static while fueling. There is also an anti rollover valve, sorta like a big ping pong ball, that shuts off to the filler neck in case of a rollover. It also prevents siphoning as you can't get a hose past it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I can say from first hand experience that the flap is easily bypassed with a hose for siphoning :tongue: I did that on my old car (same flap setup) after it was wrecked with a full tank of gas.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The flap may be easily bypassed as my old car had one and I did, but my old car died with a full tank could not be siphoned...period.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
What you could have been expierencing is call back pressure. Sometimes the pressure of the gas is so great it will back fill the filler neck to the point where the pump handle will click off, this is to prevent overfilling and splashing out. A trick(which was mentioned)would be to ease the nozzle out a little bit and or easy up on the handle.

I have expierenced this with my 07. I stuck the nozzle in and locked the handle. With in 2-3 seconds the handle clicked off. I then eased the nozzle out a bit and locked the handle once again. No problems after that.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I know on my 03. There is an anti splashback/anti siphon at the neck of the fuel tank itself. Never really paid attention any higher than that.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
just checked, no flap on my 09.
as mentioned before, try a diff. pump, back the nozzle out a little if it happens again.
have had it happen on TB, also the company's 07 2500HD PU is very particular about placement of nozzle
in the filler neck. :twocents:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
2005, metal fuel neck. I can see in with no flap or sign there ever was a flap.

I've seen this issue crop up before in other threads. People suggested a clogged EVAP system or a kink in the fuel filler hose. A kink would definitely allow the pump to put it in faster than it goes into the tank, and the way a fuel pump operates with auto shut-off is to have a little hole that takes advantage of the venturi effect to detect when the tank is full, without even actually being down inside the tank.

A gas station that doesn't regularly clean their nozzles could have a clogged-up venturi hole. Also don't insert the nozzle as absolutely far as it will go; there seems to be a spot where you can back it out like 1/2 inch and it still seats firmly. This seems to work just fine and allow a proper fill for me, having it jammed in the whole way never does.

Reactions: Mooseman

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
Could be several things but I had that issue for a long time with my 06. in my case, replacing the EVAP purge solenoid (the one on the engine block) cured it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.