Members projector retrofits

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
That's pretty much how mine had looked. Then I got paint on the edge of the shield when I painted everything inside and now there's a little blue. Mostly only notice it on the road or white signs are good at showing it lol.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Before:
20150617_2128051.jpg
Got everything straight:
20150617_2204521.jpg
20150617_2205161.jpg
Can't figure out the difference in cutoff still. Oh well. Don't know why the look so off here, they're almost perfect, well, as good as I'm willing to make them, it's too much of a pain to keep disassembling them and putting them back to check.
20150617_2205451.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You shouldn't have to disassemble them to do the alignment. If you leave the front lens and bezel off, and the lock ring on the back loosened just a bit so you can rotate the projectors, you should be able to get the cutoffs level, and then use the headlight adjuster to get them on the same height.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Blckshdw said:
You shouldn't have to disassemble them to do the alignment. If you leave the front lens and bezel off, and the lock ring on the back loosened just a bit so you can rotate the projectors, you should be able to get the cutoffs level, and then use the headlight adjuster to get them on the same height.
I'm talking about getting the cutoff straight, as in bulb alignment. The way I have everything mounted I can't just tilt the housings forward and move the bulbs. When I'm on level ground they're straight. :thumbsup: Its damn close now, the picture just doesn't show it. :yes:

Reactions: triz

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Reactions: Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Those turned out better than I imagined. Colored matched with the square projectors look awesome. Are those switchback LED strips? Any plans for the hi beams? Color matched projector fogs would look awesome.
Thanks. I think they turned out awesome.

Yeah I have the 6-hi mod but Kevins leds aren't turning on so I'll have to look at connections.

I think I'll wait a bit for fogs. Maybe next year. Hopefully by then they will be making X lens for the matchbox. That would look sweet.

Also they are switch back led strips. Love em!!

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sib said:
Thanks. I think they turned out awesome.

Yeah I have the 6-hi mod but Kevins leds aren't turning on so I'll have to look at connections.

I think I'll wait a bit for fogs. Maybe next year. Hopefully by then they will be making X lens for the matchbox. That would look sweet.

Also they are switch back led strips. Love em!!

Ok. I had the same issue with Kevin's LED headlights. If you hook the plug up as you think it should go, it will not work. You have to flop the plug 180*. Then they should work just fine unless you have already tried this. Do you have Kevin's Cree LED headlights or the Philips?

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Ok. I had the same issue with Kevin's LED headlights. If you hook the plug up as you think it should go, it will not work. You have to flop the plug 180*. Then they should work just fine unless you have already tried this. Do you have Kevin's Cree LED headlights or the Philips?
I have his crees. They wouldn't work when I first got them so I emailed him and he told me to flip them around. I may not have done that this time. I'll take a look.

You get his Phillips leds in yet?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Got around to actually putting them on the truck to start alignment. Not much progress.

20150620_205332.jpg

Drivers side is way off in a bad way.

20150620_205854.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sib said:
I have his crees. They wouldn't work when I first got them so I emailed him and he told me to flip them around. I may not have done that this time. I'll take a look.

You get his Phillips leds in yet?
Typically flipping the connector will take care of it.

I am still running the Crees. Philips are collecting dust in a drawer. The Philips take some Dremel work on the headlights to get them to fit due to the size of the heatsink and cooling fan.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Mounce said:
Holy hell, is it in upside down?

-solenoid should be at the bottom.
Haha, that's what I said. It says top where its supposed to be. I even looked in the housing to make sure. I think possibly the high beam solenoid was stuck on, because I kept hearing a click. I did not have anyone to check with me so its just a guess. Maybe I can get in some time tomorrow.

I just want to get these done and sealed already. I have a trip coming up and I've been driving with one headlamp. So I have a week to get these wrapped up.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Looks like the high beam to me. Gets my vote.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Yeah it seemed brighter than the passengers side and no cutoff. I need to check the wiring one more time. I kept hearing a click on start up sometimes. Sounded like the high beam actuator.

What's everyone doing with all the wiring and the rubber caps?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Rechecked the wiring. It turned out to be the high beam actuator. I had to switch a wire around and bam!

Anyway here it is.

20150621_203453.jpg

20150621_211637.jpg

I'm happy with the result. Just need to clean them up and seal them up. I'm waiting on some LED s for the turn signals and some connection s for the internal halos. Once those get in Ill post a final.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
triz said:
Rechecked the wiring. It turned out to be the high beam actuator. I had to switch a wire around and bam!

Anyway here it is.

attachicon.gif
20150621_203453.jpg

attachicon.gif
20150621_211637.jpg

I'm happy with the result. Just need to clean them up and seal them up. I'm waiting on some LED s for the turn signals and some connection s for the internal halos. Once those get in Ill post a final.
I may have missed it, h1 or d2s? And what color temp? Looks like 43-45k to me. Looks good though. Nice job. [emoji106]

triz

Apr 22, 2013
They were Mini H1s. Actually pretty close. Those are 5k's. It's pretty white. I have 6ks on another car but I bought 5s for my father and liked them better.

I'll be 100% happier once I get the LEDs in and wired.

Reactions: littleblazer

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Glad you got it figured out bro!

I'd like to retrofit the TB but it kinda worries me. The TB is my mom's and I wouldn't want a part to fail on her one night. Although 9/10 times I'm the one driving but still lol. Which my retrofit has had no problems at all and I've been running them for 5 months so I don't have a legit reason to worry.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Triz, looks like your hotspot on the driver's side is too high, which is causing that side to bow up. To dial that in, you may need to add some bulb shims on the back side of the projector where the bulb sits, to tilt it in the right direction, and put more light on the road.

I went through quite a bit of this with my RX350s, ended up buying a sheet of aluminum from the hardware store, and cutting out small crescent shaped pieces to wedge in there until I got it where i wanted. Some people put layers of aluminum tape, but I don't have the patience for all that layering. :no:

Looks good so far though man. :thumbsup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Aarkon said:
attachicon.gif
20150624_194019.jpgfinished this pair lastnight
Those are the Pink Floyd ones correct? Either that or there's a bad reflection in the left one. [emoji13] look sweet man. [emoji106]

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Yes sir these are the pink Floyd projectors have had sitting around my house they are up for sale with pm

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wish I had another trailblazer. I'm sure someone will come along though. Top notch as usual. And sometime down the line if you're sitting on an extra set of envoy retrofits. Let me know. I'm already trying to plan something for my sisters Christmas present lol. [emoji106]

Reactions: Sib and Aarkon

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Those do look good

Reactions: Aarkon

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Aarkon said:
You should post this in the retrofit thread. They look good man did you get the shroud to fit yet? And does the lense cover give a gap between the projector?
I still have both styles of shrouds, but I have not tried to fit either one set. I am going to try to use the older style first.

Do you mean a gap between the projector lens and fog light housing lens? There is a very small gap due to the angle of the projector. It seems the edge of the shroud touches the lens of the housing, but the projector lens does not touch.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I still have both styles of shrouds, but I have not tried to fit either one set. I am going to try to use the older style first.

Do you mean a gap between the projector lens and fog light housing lens? There is a very small gap due to the angle of the projector. It seems the edge of the shroud touches the lens of the housing, but the projector lens does not touch.
I cant remember for sure but I think my shrouds didnt touch the lense I originally thought about extending the housing to make it easier but I ended up seating the projector all the way too tabs for mounting

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Aarkon said:
I cant remember for sure but I think my shrouds didnt touch the lense I originally thought about extending the housing to make it easier but I ended up seating the projector all the way too tabs for mounting
Yeah. I went the same route you did, seating the projector all the way back to the backside of the housing.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Yeah. I went the same route you did, seating the projector all the way back to the backside of the housing.
Did you cut the shroud back about a half inch and drill out the inside to be able to press the shroud over the projector like a main headlight one?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Aarkon said:
Did you cut the shroud back about a half inch and drill out the inside to be able to press the shroud over the projector like a main headlight one?
Yes. The first set of shrouds I did that to. The shroud slipped right over the mounting bracket for the projector lens, but I trimmed a bit too much off the shroud which is why I had to buy another pair. I have not cut into the new set yet.

I also over tightened the 4mm mount screw yesterday and broke part of the back of the fog housing on both fogs. I went to Advance Auto this morning and picked up some small square metal clips to use as washers. They have a lot more surface area than the 4mm washer I was using. They are installed with some blue Loctite on the threads to keep the bolt from loosening due to vibrations.

Just finished sealing up the backside of the housing with some RTV black Ultra. Once the RTV dries, I will add another layer, trim the shrouds, seal the housing lens on, and then they are ready to install. I also need to wire the solenoid to the hi beam output so I can have the hi beam function of the fogs.

IMG_20150709_120354.jpg

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
After dremeling for about 60 minutes on the shrouds, I got them to fit. The micro gatling shrouds in the pic was TRS's first version for the Morimoto Matchbox projectors that is no longer sold. I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new set from a member on HIDP. They look better than the new version of the micro gatling shroud IMO. A lot more work to get the first version to fit as they are slightly larger than the second version. I also like that the first version has a silver finish versus a chrome finish.

Cleaned up all of the finger prints, blew out the dust, cleaned the inside of the lens, and finally (7 months later) have sealed up the housings. The RTV needs to cure for 24hrs. Then reinstall the mounting brackets and extend the projector solenoid wires by 3' so they will reach the back of the headlight and hook into my hi beam splitter.

I don't really need hi beams from the fog lights, but why not. It will be a true 6 hi mod :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_20150710_142012.jpg
    IMG_20150710_142012.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20150710_142100.jpg
    IMG_20150710_142100.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 37

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Those shrouds look sweet. Much better than the current version. Nice work. Can't wait to see them installed.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am happy to say that my fog light retro is finally complete. Last steps were to seal the lens to the housing and then extend the solenoid wires by 4'. Also had to add a 9006 plug on the end. Now I have a hi beam splitter plugged into another hi beam splitter. There is a lot going on behind my headlights.

Still need to see how they look/perform at night. They definitely look good in the day time.

Attachments

• IMG_20150711_140418.jpg
    IMG_20150711_140418.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20150711_140507.jpg
    IMG_20150711_140507.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 40

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So my cutoff has been bothering me enough lately (I know I said I was done) but I was able to get a degree or two of rotation without loosening the nut. They are just about perfectly straight as well as the step looking even. But I forgot to take pics last night so I'll do it tonight. [emoji2] but what a difference.

I knocked them up a quarter turn since the step was on the ground about 180 feet in front of me. Now I'd say it's 500 ish feet on level ground, I used a civic parked on the side of my block and the step doesn't light up his side mirror till I'm about 50 feet behind him. Light stays about an inch or two above the rear plate when behind it. So that makes the cutoff height about 38 or 40 inches. Which seems to be fine.

Lastly I have to move the step to the left so it's on the double yellow line since that seems where everyone says it should about be, right?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online