Nov 18, 2011
SDC12617-1.jpg

SDC12627.jpg

SDC12626-1.jpg

SDC12623-1.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
I'm really tempted to get a bumper similar to what Hardtrailz has set up. Just out of curiosity, without the winch, how much weight does that bumper add to the vehicle, and if anyone has had one that they use on a daily driver (I know, I read the disclaimer) how much has it affected your mileage if at all?

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Spalding1028 said:
I'm really tempted to get a bumper similar to what Hardtrailz has set up. Just out of curiosity, without the winch, how much weight does that bumper add to the vehicle, and if anyone has had one that they use on a daily driver (I know, I read the disclaimer) how much has it affected your mileage if at all?

Sorry, I completely missed this! The bumper by itself is ~100#, and with the tube, it's in the ~140# range... My bumper and skids (with winch) maybe took 1mpg off, all around...

Send me a PM if you want to talk, more...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bump with a few front bumper pics and in some you can see the trick rear bumper shown in the other thread.

2012-07-15_21-05-37_952.jpg

2012-07-15_21-07-52_408.jpg

2012-07-15_21-07-45_821.jpg

b1-1.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
CHIEF BIG RIDG said:
Any news on an envoy bumper yet? Preferably a winch bumper? Also they look a lot bigger, do they weigh more?

Nope, not really any bigger then stock or even the TB metal bumpers. In fact I think it is a bit tighter to the vehicle then the TB's bumper is.

P9140595.jpg

It weighs around 80 lbs from my recollection. I have had it on and off the truck by myself without any problems.

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Cody, send me a PM.

CHIEF BIG RIDG said:
I meant the one where the winch goes inside the bumper. Sorry for the confusion.

I can do a 3" body lift Envoy bumper, but unless you can come to Indiana for a weekend, I can't make one for an Envoy without a body lift.

On the winch bumpers, yeah, they are bigger and heavier. Regular bumpers are ~90-100#, and winch bumpers tend to be in the 125# range.

Mike

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Your stuff is the best I've seen. If I ever decide to get "high" you're the man i'm calling. Still looking for stiffer springs for my front struts...

Feb 18, 2012
Bartonmd said:
I can do a 3" body lift Envoy bumper, but unless you can come to Indiana for a weekend, I can't make one for an Envoy without a body lift.

On the winch bumpers, yeah, they are bigger and heavier. Regular bumpers are ~90-100#, and winch bumpers tend to be in the 125# range.

Mike

Well shucks...I guess I have to get a body lift too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
tc2.jpg

3skids.jpg

Can also see the radiator and oil skids. Sweet Armor!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
What is the price for the rear tire carrier? Started looking for some recently and non of them had the hinge piece that I could find, unless I owned a Jeep of course.

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
What is the price for the rear tire carrier? Started looking for some recently and non of them had the hinge piece that I could find, unless I owned a Jeep of course.

Sending PM.

Mike

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Mike from MDB Fabrication, here!

Tire Carriers:
IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Hey There Mike! I've been dying to get a tire carrier but can't find anyone reliable here in Saudi Arabia. I know these things are heavy but the question is how heavy. If it's doable $$$ wise i'm real interested in buying. My Zip Code area is 31411 in Dammam City - Saudi Arabia.

Please let me know how much for the carrier + shipping. Hope it's not a fortune, Thanks!

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
Hey There Mike! I've been dying to get a tire carrier but can't find anyone reliable here in Saudi Arabia. I know these things are heavy but the question is how heavy. If it's doable $$$ wise i'm real interested in buying. My Zip Code area is 31411 in Dammam City - Saudi Arabia.

Please let me know how much for the carrier + shipping. Hope it's not a fortune, Thanks!

To be honest, you're better looking a bit harder locally, or buying a cheap used stick welder. Anything I make would be a guess on how it would fit on your vehicle (because of different wheel offsets, widths, and tire size), and you'd still have to weld it onto your stock hitch. If you can weld it onto your stock hitch, you can make the whole thing.

Thanks,
Mike

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
To be honest, you're better looking a bit harder locally, or buying a cheap used stick welder. Anything I make would be a guess on how it would fit on your vehicle (because of different wheel offsets, widths, and tire size), and you'd still have to weld it onto your stock hitch. If you can weld it onto your stock hitch, you can make the whole thing.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks I'll keep searching! Was just an idea! I've seen some locals driving around with their spare tires on the back but mainly toyota's! I'll need to catch one of these guys at a traffic light and ask.

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
Thanks I'll keep searching! Was just an idea! I've seen some locals driving around with their spare tires on the back but mainly toyota's! I'll need to catch one of these guys at a traffic light and ask.

Yeah, no problem! Happy to answer questions or look at stuff, but something that's not hard to make, like a tire carrier, is usually best made locally, if it's out of the country.

Thanks,
Mike

trucker85

Oct 12, 2012
I'd like to have a price on a winch bumper . And possibly d rings set up shipped to Maine . What does that usually run. It would be good week g how I'm on the fire Dept to have a tough bumper:smile:

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
trucker85 said:
I'd like to have a price on a winch bumper . And possibly d rings set up shipped to Maine . What does that usually run. It would be good week g how I'm on the fire Dept to have a tough bumper:smile:

I'm still so backed up that I'm not taking orders for finished bumpers, but here's the pics/prices page:
offroadTB.com - View topic - MDB Fabrication Bumper/Skid Options and Cost

I'm only taking orders for standard bumper kits right now, that you weld together.
offroadTB.com - View topic - MDB Standard Bumper/Skid Parts Kits

I am, however, taking orders for and shipping both finished oil pan and radiator skidplates, as well as kits for them.

Mike

trucker85

Oct 12, 2012
OK the ones u weld together don't look bad do u know when I could get a winch bumper . Its no hurry . And when u said the one u weld together did u mean me as in the customer . Cuz I can't weld lol

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Bartonmd said:
I'm still so backed up that I'm not taking orders for finished bumpers, but here's the pics/prices page:
offroadTB.com - View topic - MDB Fabrication Bumper/Skid Options and Cost

I'm only taking orders for standard bumper kits right now, that you weld together.
offroadTB.com - View topic - MDB Standard Bumper/Skid Parts Kits

I am, however, taking orders for and shipping both finished oil pan and radiator skidplates, as well as kits for them.

Mike

To bad you don't make transmission skids Mike, I'd paypal you tonight. :thumbsup:

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
trucker85 said:
OK the ones u weld together don't look bad do u know when I could get a winch bumper . Its no hurry . And when u said the one u weld together did u mean me as in the customer . Cuz I can't weld lol

Yes, you as the customer...

mikekey said:
To bad you don't make transmission skids Mike, I'd paypal you tonight. :thumbsup:

I made one for Kyle. It wasn't bad at all. You could do it in your driveway, with a piece of 7ga, and you have a small welder, right?

offroadTB.com - View topic - MDB Fab. Transmission Skids...

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
With the money you save, you could invest in one for future projects.

That's exactly correct! For $200, you can get a 220V wire feed welder from Harbor Freight. That's literally the same amount of money that you save by me not making the same bumper, and you have a welder and a skill set for being able to do things for yourself, in the future.

Mike

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Bartonmd said:
That's exactly correct! For $200, you can get a 220V wire feed welder from Harbor Freight. That's literally the same amount of money that you save by me not making the same bumper, and you have a welder and a skill set for being able to do things for yourself, in the future.

Mike

I thought you hated wire feed welders Barton? :raspberry:

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
mikekey said:
I thought you hated wire feed welders Barton? :raspberry:

What? The Miller 252 is the only welder I have, and it's wire feed. I don't run (gasless) flux core with it, but flux core is fine for doing some stuff here and there, and anything outside in the wind. It's just that you have to chip the slag, and you don't want to stack beads with gasless flux core wire, because it makes the weld brittle.

Mike

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
offroadTB.com - View topic - Receiver-Mounted Tire/Fuel/Jack Swing-Out.

After some consideration, I think I'm OK with selling this one... I'm too busy this year to wheel it anywhere far away (where I'd need it), and the wife is driving the TB more this winter. Plus, IF all goes as planned, when she starts "growing" she'll be driving the TB more instead of the Cruze, and she's not into dealing with opening the thing when she gets into the rear hatch. So, it's either it sits in the garage until I need it, or I can sell it now and bet on not needing another one until I can build myself a rear bumper.

Because I'm not taking orders for these for probably close to a year (plus lead time after that), and because it's a much better solution than the HG that goes for over $1k with the options to carry everything that this carries, this one is up for sale for $1100 plus shipping, including the cable lock and the table setup. It is powdercoated black with a clear powdercoat over the black. It has small scrapes at the bottom of the legs that tie to the frame, but you'll do the same to it, and I'll hit the little sections with some touch-up paint. It's designed for a 33" tire, and I've got over 1" from the sidewall of my 245s to the rectangle tubes, so it should take a 285mm wide tire with no problem, as long as your backset isn't something crazy. It's set up for the stock bolt pattern right now, but it's just cutting the tack welds on those bolts and tacking them in the other set of holes away from being set up for a 6x5.5 1/2 ton truck pattern. I'll do that for nothing, if needed.

It can ship out and get wherever in the CONUS well before TECORE, a week or so after I get paid for it. Shipping east of the Mississippi is $140 and $165 anywhere else.

More specifics, send me a PM.

Thanks,
Mike

"bartonmd" said:

IMG_20130410_195050_816.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Great set-up. Be an asset to whoever is lucky enough to snag this.

I can attest to the quality of everything Mike builds!

trailboycer72

Mar 23, 2014
I am blown away... I pm'd the information I need and this is what I would like to achieve with my '02 ext lt with the exception of different wheels. Please help. Thanx!
uby8e9yb.jpg
ba8ebugu.jpg

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I like the first tire carrier set up that was welded to the stock hitch..got a question though..were you still able to tow with it in place?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yes. I believe that was point to it.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Nice! I can def see building one similar then.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Again I see the XL / EXT versions and wish I could have found one. Think I might start looking around for a trade.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.