Max tongue weight 400 Lbs on my Envoy. Is it the frame/hitch strength or the rear suspension that limits this?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I want to add a motorcycle carrier or a cargo carrier between the receiver hitch and my small trailer. (14 ft, 2900 gvw, 230 lb tongue weight) The motorcycle weight is 275 lbs. When I'm not taking the bike, I would like a little extra space for a 50 lb generator or some firewood, cooler etc.

My question is. As above. Is it the frame and hitch that limits the weight or the rear suspension? If it's just the suspension, could I add some airbags to make up for it? Thanks for any info.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's the springs. The receiver itself I recall was stickered for 750lbs. I thought the tongue weight was in the 600lb range. I used to use a hitch haul loaded up woth 4-500 lbs of junk and with the air bags it worked fine. It does impact how the car handles, lot less weight on the nose.

Reactions: Mooseman

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Don't forget to inspect the rear steel portion for severe rust if your in a road salt area. These bumpers tend to get thin with age.

Reactions: Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Don't forget to inspect the rear steel portion for severe rust if your in a road salt area. These bumpers tend to get thin with age.

He's in the part of Cali that's the land of blondes and sunshine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.