Matching paint colors.

Chris JW

Original poster
May 13, 2014
I was hoping to get some input for matching the paint color on my 2006 trailblazer
if anyone has any advise or experiences they are willing to share i would appreciate it.
my color code is 929L and the name of it is cashmere if you have touched up this particular color would really like to hear about it especially, but any color is fine.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I know myself and other members have used automotivetouchip.com for paint. They will mix your paint based off of your color code and can provide almost any container from brush on touchup paint to 12oz aerosol cans.

I have metallic paint and used their aerosol to paint my mirror covers and grille. The paint matches perfectly.

Delivery time is 7-10 business days since they have to mix the paint specifically to your color code. It is worth the wait. I would not waste your money on AutoZone
Or Advanced Auto paint :twocents:

Most body shops will be able to match your paint color as well, but I am not sure if they can provide it in a container for you to use yourself.

What are you planning on painting or just looking for some touchup paint?

Chris JW

Original poster
May 13, 2014
just touch up where the door was rubbing against the fender and the bottoms of the doors ,probably will take a considerable amount of paint

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Chris JW said:
just touch up where the door was rubbing against the fender and the bottoms of the doors ,probably will take a considerable amount of paint
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/chevrolet/2006/trailblazer/

The second color down the list is what you are looking for. They have 1/2oz touch up bottle, 2oz touch up bottle, 1/2oz paint pen, and 12oz aerosol. 2oz bottle of touch up will go pretty far. Depending on the size of the area, brush on might be easier than aerosol, unless you want to do a lot of masking.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Exact matches are really hard, especially with metallic. Spray can jobs usually look like they are spray can jobs. Best to repaint with a spray gun and do entire body panel or to get clever with taping off by using body lines and over spray type blending techniques.

Best way is to get a small touch up gun and compressor. You can usually rent them but a touch up gun isn't that expensive and its a good tool to have around. Many NAPA stores mix paint and if the guy doing it knows his stuff he can also give you advice.

Some Sherwin Williams shops also do auto paint, but you may have to call their corporate office to find out which.

If you must do cans, automotivetouchip.com is a good source and I believe their can nozzles mimic the spray pattern of a spray gun.
Before spraying, warm a pan of water up to slightly warmer than bath water, maybe to the point where you think if it was a little hotter you'd be uncomfortable putting your hand in it. Put the can in the water for 5 minutes. That warms the paints up and creates better pressure for spraying. It also results in a smoother, more even coverage. That's an old trick I learned when I used to shoot model cars with spray cans.

Reactions: Chris JW

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online