massive oil lost

LBB

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
So I was doing my throttle body and when I was finished I saw some oil under my vehicle and checked the oil.
I have a massive oil lost.
I don't know where it's coming from, the oil filter looks dry from the outside.
As its almost everywhere in the front, I don't think I am leaking from the bolt on the bottom.
Where else could I leak oil from?

View attachment 22052

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 23

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Front main seal from harmonic balancer/pulley. One possibility. Clean it off real well with some Gunk and light spray with water. Let it dry, then see more difinitively where it's coming from.

LBB

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
CaptainXL said:
The Camshaft Position Sensor might be loose. Need more closeup picks.

I wasn't sure from what angle, so I took pictures from every angle I could think of.

View attachment 22053

View attachment 22054

View attachment 22055

View attachment 22056

I have more pictures, but let me know where this switch is located and I will get a picture of it.
I am on a lift so this makes it easy to look under the car.
But it would be great if I can at least temporary fix it tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17

LBB

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
c good said:
Front main seal from harmonic balancer/pulley. One possibility. Clean it off real well with some Gunk and light spray with water. Let it dry, then see more difinitively where it's coming from.

What is the harmonic balancer?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The harmonic balancer is the pulley on the crankshaft.

rywegh

Jul 4, 2012
LBB your pictures show you have had oil leaking in the past.... but what about the oil dipstick? Is it showing full or low? The pictures that show the bottom of the motor/skidplate look like my TB when I don't take care changing my oil.

The CPAS is pretty close in area to the first picture you had posted real close to and behind the power steering pump.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Are you sure the drain plug is tight? Sure looks like it's coming from that area.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
MacMan said:
Are you sure the drain plug is tight? Sure looks like it's coming from that area.

He's actually taken pictures of everywhere around the leak except where the leak originates. As the vehicle is moving down the road the wind blows the oil back from the front most point of the leak. If you get up under the truck and look at the bottom of the engine near the harmonic balancer/damper you will see where the oil is coming from. Another common way to look for oil leaks is to let the warmed up engine idle in the driveway or garage with a big piece of white cardboard underneath and let the oil drip down onto it. The leak is usually coming from straight above. But you also need to take into consideration the cross-members or frame that might redirect the oil as it falls. They also make ultraviolet dye to add to oil as well. You use a blacklight to find the leak.

LBB

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
CaptainXL said:
He's actually taken pictures of everywhere around the leak except where the leak originates.

I tried every possible angle I could take a picture from. I will clean it up on Monday and than check it again. Maybe I can see where it comes from.

LBB

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
navigator said:
what is your oil level?

Sorry had no time to be online.
After I did my oil change I put already a qt less in it and it already showed full and it still shows full.

The oil has to come from somewhere, but I still have plenty of oil in it.

I forgot to say, we have it around 100 around here right now, and it never gets below 90 at the time I check the oil.
But this shouldn't make a big difference, does it?

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
LBB said:
.....I forgot to say, we have it around 100 around here right now, and it never gets below 90 at the time I check the oil.
But this shouldn't make a big difference, does it?
Not if you're running synthetic.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Just throwing it out there, but have you changed your power steering fluid and transmission fluid levels?

rywegh

Jul 4, 2012
woody79 said:
Just throwing it out there, but have you changed your power steering fluid and transmission fluid levels?

What Woody asked plus this one... How many quarts did you put in for oil? 7qts? or did you only get 6qts in?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.