Massachusetts Right to Repair

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is very interesting regarding privacy and the data that auto makers collect via the onboard systems and one State trying to do something about it.

I raised this issue here a few years ago about OnStar's sharing of info collected even though you don't have an OnStar account or use it. I think they got holy hell because they backed out of that plan.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep - I saw that from the link Rock sent via their monthly e-mail.

Definitely a positive for the consumer, in that the systems have to be certified more or less 'open source' accessible, so that the dealers don't have a proprietary interface that only they can access (and only they can then effect repairs on a vehicle).

The manufacturers / dealer associations were countering with "but hacking!" (among other things)
While I don't want someone hacking into my car's computers, I don't want to be a dealer's hostage, either.

Now that this is being adopted, it'll probably spur 50-state / Canada compatibility, just like Cali emissions standards drove the rest of the country (although there were more states that 'formally' adopted their standards).

Re: OnSnoop - that reminds me - I need to find the module & rip it out of the Sierra (it still works, to the point I could dial them up, sign up for a plan, and get the services, if I wanted.) It's supposed to be lower mid-dash, but that'll require me to take out the floor console. Soon... very soon... :satan:

We may not be able to control manufacturers, insurance companies, et al, being able to access the diagnostic & event recorder data... but we damned sure should be able to access it, as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online