Make your own Saab 9-7x 17 in Wheels

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
For Saab 9-7x owners; having recently priced 255/55R18 snow tires, I decided to go a different route.
Research told me that 17 inch Trailblazer wheels will fit; and the price tires are significantly less!
I searched my local craigslist and found a set of 4 Trailblazer wheels with center caps and TPMS sensor and a set of well worn formerly studded tires and negotiated a price of $150. The tires actually have 5-6/32nds of tread depth, so for now they will do me this winter while I look for a deal on the tires I really want, which are Michelin X-Ice. I then decided, well I would like to have these center caps have a Saab logo instead of the Chevy Bowtie. Now the pictures tell the rest of the story!
TrailblazCentCap.JPG SaabStick2.JPG SaabCentCap2.JPG 17inSaab97xWheel2.JPG backofCenterCap.JPG

I found the 90 mm Saab Emblems on eBay; sticky back that you should use a hair drier or heat gun on low to smooth out any wrinkles. The surfaces of the caps were cleaned in Dawn, dried and then cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol, allowed to dry before applying the emblems. Oh, there is a little imprint on the back of the center caps that indicate the valve stem location. I aligned my emblems with this so I always will know how to install the center caps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very nice! Good for anybody that want nice wheels for the winter. I wasn't too fancy with mine when I ran it for the one winter. I just used steel 17" wheels and no caps (it's actually the fashion here for winter). Bought them on Kijiji (a better looking Craigslist) for dirt cheap. There's always somebody selling winters after selling their truck over the summer.

Welcome to the Nation. Good first post!

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
When I put 17s on my Saab the shop had to use the thinnest weights in existence to balance the wheels (and even with those I wasn't very comfortable with the space left). When they tried to use the thicker ones that are usually used for balancing wheels they could not clear the brake callipers in the front.
I'm curious to see how these OEM wheels fit on the Saab.
Are you staying with 255s or do you go narrower for winter?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The brakes sit no different than EXT or SS that have no issue with stock 17s, so should be non-issue.

The decals look good on there.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I could see a possible issue with stick on weights with the 17's and the bigger brakes but should be avoidable by putting them more on the inside or the middle of the wheel to clear the caliper.

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
When I put 17s on my Saab the shop had to use the thinnest weights in existence to balance the wheels (and even with those I wasn't very comfortable with the space left). When they tried to use the thicker ones that are usually used for balancing wheels they could not clear the brake callipers in the front.
I'm curious to see how these OEM wheels fit on the Saab.
Are you staying with 255s or do you go narrower for winter?
235/65R17s as they are the same basic height, and they are winter wheels so they can put the balance weight on the outside for all I care. These came already balance and all for clear the calipers.

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Cool. Take a few pics if you can. Tire & rim setup photos are always welcome :wink:
As requested, I put on the 17" Saab wheels that I "made" from Trailblazer wheels. So here are the pictures installed. Also did the sensor relearn on the "new wheels" which worked ok.

Attachments

• DrcSidewhls2.JPG
    DrcSidewhls2.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DrvsideF.JPG
    DrvsideF.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DrvsideR.JPG
    DrvsideR.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DrvSidewhls.JPG
    DrvSidewhls.JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 38
  • PassF.JPG
    PassF.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 33
  • PassR.JPG
    PassR.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 31
  • PassWheels.JPG
    PassWheels.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PassWheels2.JPG
    PassWheels2.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 28

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
I have been inspired. Emblems purchased.

Thanks!
Your order was placed.
We'll send you an email confirmation soon. Please use the access code in the email confirmation to track your order.
Estimated delivery: Tue, Dec. 13–Tue, Dec. 27

I have the same TB 17s on my Saab for winter tires I got Firestone Winterforce tires though. Debating if I want to paint or plastidip them black. What do you guys think?

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Well the Delivery date was WAY off. Just got the emblems today. Took about 20 minutes to wash dry apply and pop the center caps back on. Here's some pics (ignore the mud clods)... enjoy!
IMAG0795_zpsqc38c1ku.jpg

IMAG0797_zpssm037efl.jpg

IMAG0796_zpsu4yzf4jn.jpg

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Well the Delivery date was WAY off. Just got the emblems today. Took about 20 minutes to wash dry apply and pop the center caps back on. Here's some pics (ignore the mud clods)... enjoy!
Nice Job!
One thing I neglected to do this fall, was to clean the winter wells again and apply RejecX which is a sealant and allows even brake dust to wash off without scrubbing. But it needs to be 60° to apply it... well the metal and surround air. Then it needs to cure for 12 hours. Depending on how much you drive it lasts for 6 to 12 months. Actually, it works better than wax on the paint and use it on all the windows except the windshield and it work better than Rainex. Anyway nice work doing the decals!
IMAG0795_zpsqc38c1ku.jpg

IMAG0797_zpssm037efl.jpg

IMAG0796_zpsu4yzf4jn.jpg

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
For Saab 9-7x owners; having recently priced 255/55R18 snow tires, I decided to go a different route.
Research told me that 17 inch Trailblazer wheels will fit; and the price tires are significantly less!
I searched my local craigslist and found a set of 4 Trailblazer wheels with center caps and TPMS sensor and a set of well worn formerly studded tires and negotiated a price of $150. The tires actually have 5-6/32nds of tread depth, so for now they will do me this winter while I look for a deal on the tires I really want, which are Michelin X-Ice. I then decided, well I would like to have these center caps have a Saab logo instead of the Chevy Bowtie. Now the pictures tell the rest of the story!
View attachment 78304 View attachment 78303 View attachment 78302 View attachment 78305 View attachment 78306

I found the 90 mm Saab Emblems on eBay; sticky back that you should use a hair drier or heat gun on low to smooth out any wrinkles. The surfaces of the caps were cleaned in Dawn, dried and then cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol, allowed to dry before applying the emblems. Oh, there is a little imprint on the back of the center caps that indicate the valve stem location. I aligned my emblems with this so I always will know how to install the center caps.
I upgraded this winter to some REAL 18" Saab wheels and sold the 17s pictured above.. plus some new Nokian R3s

Attachments

• WP_20221102_12_08_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221102_12_08_27_Pro.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221102_12_08_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221102_12_08_47_Pro.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221102_12_18_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221102_12_18_16_Pro.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NokianR3Labels.jpg
    NokianR3Labels.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 0
  • NokianR31.jpg
    NokianR31.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 0
  • NokianR32456018New.jpg
    NokianR32456018New.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 0

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Older thread.. But I have not even had my 9-7x for a year yet..

That said, the stock tires are stupid expensive 255/55/r18.. BUT..

If you go to tire size..
235/60R18

Your speedo will only be 0.2% off, and the tires are around half the price, with more options.

Stock size compared to new size...

Yes, the tires are about 1 inch narrower, but fit, and work. Have not noticed a ride difference at all.

Last edited:

Martyelzz4

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Older thread.. But I have not even had my 9-7x for a year yet..

That said, the stock tires are stupid expensive 255/55/r18.. BUT..

If you go to tire size..
235/60R18

Your speedo will only be 0.2% off, and the tires are around half the price, with more options.

Stock size compared to new size...

Yes, the tires are about 1 inch narrower, but fit, and work. Have not noticed a ride difference at all.
The 245/60/18 were my choice.. and I changed the tire size in the computer so they are accurate.

Reactions: Beacon

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 245/60/18 were my choice.. and I changed the tire size in the computer so they are accurate.
I tried to find that size locally, everything is on back order, with no ETA for delivery.. Had to go to the next best thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.