NEED HELP MAF or EPC Solenoid? Or???

Cloudy79

Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Looking for advice as to where to go from here. I've had this TB for 9 years, put 115k on it, and done my best to keep it running smooth. I had my tranny rebuilt at 159k and current miles are 246ish. A while back I had another issue with the trans not wanting to shift, acting like the 2nd gear solenoid was bad so I took it to the same guy that rebuilt it. The story after him having it for almost 3 months.... yea that sucked... Was that he supposedly checked and they were all fine, but he ended up changing the throttle plate that I assume is the entire throttle body assembly. I am still having an issue with the way the trans is acting.
Symptoms are very strange, unlike a normal slipping transmission where it slips regardless of how much throttle or load on it. My issue seems to improve during cooler weather and become almost severe during Florida summer temps. I drive it a specific way and seem to be able to make it drive normal, or like 95% normal, by running 1st gear up a bit before letting it shift into 2nd and AS LONG AS I press the gas quite hard going into 2nd it will accelerate like it should and then I decrease throttle so it can hit 3rd gear and then I go back to driving like I enjoy mpgs. However when I don't gas it much in 1st or 2nd gear on occasion I get a little weird action from 1st gear but nothing like a slip and then 2nd gear will act like it wants to slip(never coming fully out of gear, just a higher than normal rev per speed I guess). Sometimes it's a slip and sometimes I feel a shudder while it seems to slip in 2nd. So it's like the slip in 2nd is lack of fluid pressure maybe or the pcm is mismanaging due to the maf. I took it to a well known and liked shop and the owner there said the fluid smelled fine and drove it on a test drive with his computer hooked up. This is where it gets tricky for me. I've driven this thing for a long time and I know it well, how it accelerates, handles, and feels under my bum. I don't notice that it comes out of gear prematurely upon throttle press, but Larry the shop owner thought it was coming out of OD without much more pedal press which I feel had always been the same imo. His advice was 1 of 2 things to start, and I really can't afford to start with the wrong option, first thing he said was he's seen the maf do some weird things and over time will slowly destroy a transmission. 2nd thing is I can pay for a driving pressure test to see if it's the EPC solenoid. Does my issue sound remotely familiar to anyone? I can't find any helpful info that seems to align with my issue, and I apologize for the long post. Which way should I go?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Looking for advice as to where to go from here. I've had this TB for 9 years, put 115k on it, and done my best to keep it running smooth. I had my tranny rebuilt at 159k and current miles are 246ish. A while back I had another issue with the trans not wanting to shift, acting like the 2nd gear solenoid was bad so I took it to the same guy that rebuilt it. The story after him having it for almost 3 months.... yea that sucked... Was that he supposedly checked and they were all fine, but he ended up changing the throttle plate that I assume is the entire throttle body assembly. I am still having an issue with the way the trans is acting.
Symptoms are very strange, unlike a normal slipping transmission where it slips regardless of how much throttle or load on it. My issue seems to improve during cooler weather and become almost severe during Florida summer temps. I drive it a specific way and seem to be able to make it drive normal, or like 95% normal, by running 1st gear up a bit before letting it shift into 2nd and AS LONG AS I press the gas quite hard going into 2nd it will accelerate like it should and then I decrease throttle so it can hit 3rd gear and then I go back to driving like I enjoy mpgs. However when I don't gas it much in 1st or 2nd gear on occasion I get a little weird action from 1st gear but nothing like a slip and then 2nd gear will act like it wants to slip(never coming fully out of gear, just a higher than normal rev per speed I guess). Sometimes it's a slip and sometimes I feel a shudder while it seems to slip in 2nd. So it's like the slip in 2nd is lack of fluid pressure maybe or the pcm is mismanaging due to the maf. I took it to a well known and liked shop and the owner there said the fluid smelled fine and drove it on a test drive with his computer hooked up. This is where it gets tricky for me. I've driven this thing for a long time and I know it well, how it accelerates, handles, and feels under my bum. I don't notice that it comes out of gear prematurely upon throttle press, but Larry the shop owner thought it was coming out of OD without much more pedal press which I feel had always been the same imo. His advice was 1 of 2 things to start, and I really can't afford to start with the wrong option, first thing he said was he's seen the maf do some weird things and over time will slowly destroy a transmission. 2nd thing is I can pay for a driving pressure test to see if it's the EPC solenoid. Does my issue sound remotely familiar to anyone? I can't find any helpful info that seems to align with my issue, and I apologize for the long post. Which way should I go?

What year is the truck? If it is 2007 or earlier and you had an obd adapter live data can be recorded to capture various parameters for analysis.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can vouch that a disconnected or defective MAF will make the tranny shift hard and weird but it would throw at least one code. You could try cleaning the MAF or replacing it.

Cloudy79

Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I can vouch that a disconnected or defective MAF will make the tranny shift hard and weird but it would throw at least one code. You could try cleaning the MAF or replacing it.
I'm leaning towards the maf tbh, so that's kinda what I'm hoping to hear vs going back to the trans shop. Although I'm not getting any hard shifts or codes. I may have a leaking pcv line from the plenum to the valve cover. The hose broken from the plenum long time ago and may not be sealed anymore. Could this cause airflow to be miscalculated and be causing this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes

Reactions: Cloudy79

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What's the fluid like? Try changing it and the filter?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.