Lying to your ECM

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Or whatever you want to call it...
Sometimes it works in your advantage.

Just used an 'old trick' (actually on my Sierra, but it doesn't really matter) that some may not be aware of.
I was getting a persistent P0449 (though the code itself isn't important) which would come back instantly when reset.
That's a vent solenoid (ie, not super important!) code. What it DOES do though, is stop my remote start from working!
And seeing as it's anywhere from -40 to -whocareswhenitsthiscold out, I really really wanted my remote back!!

Well, since it's ONLY -6 out right now, I got down there and checked things out. All still hooked up, check.
Next step, pull the connector off. Grab a ~10K resistor (had a 9K, close enough), and just ram the legs right into the connector socket (chassis side of course!).
Key on, clear the codes. Tadda! No codes coming back. ECM now thinks there's a coil down there. Tape it all up. Done! Maybe I'll fix it for real later.

I've used this in other spots on the fleet in the past (don't want to put $1K /ea electronic struts in your Caddy STS? fake it!) and it works.
Of course, it doesn't work on EVERYTHING... but if nothing, it's a good testing check to remember.

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If only I could do this with the o2 sensors for the post cat on the escalade...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've deleted the electronic suspension on a Corvette once using the Tech 2 (it's a selectable option). Guy paid me $40 to do it. Probably resistors would have worked too.

And of course, this is only for "testing" purposes :biggrin:

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Definitely helpful but just be careful, there are some codes you definitely don't want to ignore :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online