LWB front brakes on SWB

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I was toying with the idea of changing my front brakes out for the larger LWB rotors. Has anyone done this and if so was it just the steering knuckle, rotors, calipers, pads? Wondering if the upper and lower control arms need to be changed as well.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i've done this on my 02 swb. the only difference are the rotors and the caliper brackets. everything else is the same.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Does it still fit inside the stock 16'' wheel? mine doesn't have much space. Seems like a bigger rotor/pad set up would be worth while.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
I've looked at this swap as well due to it being a cost effective one but there is one question that I can't get out of my head... Unless the intent is to fill out a larger rim, why hassle for an extra 3/4" rotor diameter? You are using the same caliper and same size pads so in terms of stopping power any added grip strength would be marginal, no?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
kardain said:
I've looked at this swap as well due to it being a cost effective one but there is one question that I can't get out of my head... Unless the intent is to fill out a larger rim, why hassle for an extra 3/4" rotor diameter? You are using the same caliper and same size pads so in terms of stopping power any added grip strength would be marginal, no?

It moves the pads outward a bit so it does increase the leverage on the rotor. But yeah I do wonder how much of a difference it really is.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Different bracket = different pad size? :undecided:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ieatglue said:
Different bracket = different pad size? :undecided:

The bracket is different, but the caliper and pads are the same.

IMO, GM wouldn't have changed them if it didn't help.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
It moves the pads outward a bit so it does increase the leverage on the rotor. But yeah I do wonder how much of a difference it really is.

leverage is the only real reason. How big of a difference does it make, I dunno. I'm sure it could be calculated. Auto makers don't generally do anything just because. If they can do it cheaper they will. So I would assume it makes a difference. We could probably calculate it as percentage increase of leverage if we had measurements between the two.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Heat dissipation will also be better with the larger rotor.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
tblazerdude said:
Does it still fit inside the stock 16'' wheel? mine doesn't have much space. Seems like a bigger rotor/pad set up would be worth while.

I'm almost positive it will not fit with the 16" wheels. The calipers on yours are already hugging the inside of the wheel.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Cool, didn't think it was only a bracket change.

Now I need to figure what brakes to get. I don't think I will be going with the Akebono pro act this time, thinking on trying some EBC Ultimax or maybe the Yellowstuff, their slotted and dimpled rotors seem nice but at about $350 a pair that's pretty steep. I don't mind the dust or the fact I need to change them every 40K...just don't want them to squeal but bite when they are cold.

Not a huge fan of yellow colored brake pads :crazy: but if they work then that's fine.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
I'm almost positive it will not fit with the 16" wheels. The calipers on yours are already hugging the inside of the wheel.

Correct, Need at least 17" wheels

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
as to whether it helps, well, it can't hurt. the only reason i did it is because i ordered a set of reman'ed calipers and they sent me ext brakes. so instead of sending them back, I bought rotors to go with it. If you can score a set of brackets for a reasonable price, and if you need new rotors anyway, and aren't running 16" wheels, then why not?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
My local parts store has the brackets, one side in stock but a few days on the other...no worries, I can wait.

Price difference was substantial over the dealer, naturally but I hope it's not made of tin foil. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.