SOLVED! LWB Envoy Top of tank Vapor canister replacement

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I found a vapor canister on EBay , new for $45. Tired of taking 20 mins to fill it up w gas I ordered it. Having seen quite a few videos it didnt look like a big job. However once underneath the car I couldnt find it anywhere the videos showed it to be. Following the hoses from the purge valve led me to the top of the gas tank....Bummer! I couldnt believe it could be there as this canister is big but its there trust me.

1st thing was running the back end up on ramps. Once underneath it wasnt very hard to drop the tank. I removed the 10mm bolts holding the fuel cap inside the door just so as to not break anything. Hoses, etc are 22 years old and are not exactly flexible any longer.
Unhooked the wires to the purge valve and removed the cross member under the tank. 15mm bolts .

Doing it myself I used 2 jacks w 2x4's underneath the tank to support it. Also I had driven it until the out of fuel light came on the night before so there was maybe 2 gals in it. Made it much easier and probably a must if your doing it yourself.
2 straps run under the tank to hold it up. 15mm bolts in these as well. after taking the straps loose I considered maybe removing the driveshaft for easier access, decided not to and had no trouble accessing everything with it on.

Lowered the tank down as far as the jacks would go and still needed a lil more room. Put 1 2 x 4 on the ground and then removed the jacks and let the tank rest on that. Again not having much gas in it was a lifesaver. and right there visible from the outside just in front of the rear tires sat the vapor canister. Using a large screwdriver as seen in the photo I was able to pop the retainers loose, the front of the can fits into a groove so once popped out its time to head back underneath..
Capturevghjuokihiopo.JPG vnvgnnhjh.JPG

Once underneath the canister can be swung out for access to the hoses. I hate these push on things but using a small dental type pick I was able to disconnect all 3 without much cussing. Put the new on and rehooked the hoses. Head back outside to snap the backend in place. Capturemnbbhjmu.JPG

Snapping the backend in was probably the hardest part of the job. Blew out all the trash underneath the canister but still it was pretty stiff. Using the big screwdriver was fruitless as prying out on the clips lifted the canister out of position. Several minutes of cursing ensued at which point I tried using a large opened end wrench to pry with . Stuck one end of the opening into the slot where the screwdriver had been then pushing towards the canister . This opened the slot while at the same time shoving DOWN on the canister. Took a lil grunting but it snapped into place. Now it was just a matter of putting it all back together and that went smoothly as well. Only 1 precaution to look out for. The wire for the purge valve has a clip it runs thru on the backside of the tank. Youll have to take it out the clip to have enough slack to unplug it. When your going back up with the tank make sure that wire is free and clear, its easy to pinch it between the tank and the car as your going up with the tank.

So that was it, picked up, cleaned up and headed to the gas station for the moment of truth.......and here she is, pump is on wide open and in less than 4 mins I had $60 worth of Liquid Gold (non-ethanol of course) in the tank!!!
Capturegfdgfgdrfg.JPG

If this article helps you please consider supporting the site...... Every little bit helps.......

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Added to the FAQ. Nice job!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online