LS has rear springs?

TB360

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I was about to change my rear shocks today and I saw springs in my rear. I thought LS does not have springs? Also, when I replace my shocks with SS OEM, will it lower it automatically or do I need to replace the springs too? If anybody knows and can get back to me soon, I would appreciate it. Thanks yo!

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
TB360 said:
I was about to change my rear shocks today and I saw springs in my rear. I thought LS does not have springs? Also, when I replace my shocks with SS OEM, will it lower it automatically or do I need to replace the springs too? If anybody knows and can get back to me soon, I would appreciate it. Thanks yo!

Filling in your vehicle profile will help folks know which model/year/configuration you're refering to.

Rear coil springs are standard on most TB models. Some had an option for rear air suspension.
Changing shocks will not change ride height ... unless you put in ones that bottom out while sitting in the driveway, but then they act like VERY stiff springs (at least until they break).

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Yup, rear springs standard. You'll notice no difference at all with just the SS shocks. 2" rear drop springs will bring you to SS ride height. 3" plus 1.5-2" up front with give a little better stance than an SS. But the lower you go, the more components you need in order to do it right.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
IIRC, the rear air spring suspension was only an option on the TBSS, Envoy, Rainier, and Saab. And a troublesome option it is long term. You're better off without it.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
IIRC, the rear air spring suspension was only an option on the TBSS, Envoy, Rainier, and Saab. And a troublesome option it is long term. You're better off without it.

Rear air springs were standard on the Rainier and SAAB but don't know about the SLE Envoy's. Rear air springs are worth the trouble if you tow with a heavy tounge weight. If I didn't tow heavy stuff, I don't really know if I'd care either way.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Jkust said:
Rear air springs were standard on the Rainier and SAAB but don't know about the SLE Envoy's. .
Thx. I forgot what they were standard on. :redface: I've got an Envoy, and the option was available on all trim levels, but not bundled in automatically with anything like the SLT package I have. I wanted the simplicity of coils for offroading, but put Airlift1000 bags inside them for adjustability for extra lift on demand and for towing.

The air suspension is easy to adjust the sensors for a small lift or lowering amount, though. :thumbsup:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Thx. I forgot what they were standard on. :redface: I've got an Envoy, and the option was available on all trim levels, but not bundled in automatically with anything like the SLT package I have. I wanted the simplicity of coils for offroading, but put Airlift1000 bags inside them for adjustability for extra lift on demand and for towing.

The air suspension is easy to adjust the sensors for a small lift or lowering amount, though. :thumbsup:

I love to hook the boat up, see how much sag there would be and watch the air springs pump right up to the normal level. In MN where we all have boats and SUV's to tow them, I see a lot of saggy rear ends all summer long.

TB360

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Yup, rear springs standard. You'll notice no difference at all with just the SS shocks. 2" rear drop springs will bring you to SS ride height. 3" plus 1.5-2" up front with give a little better stance than an SS. But the lower you go, the more components you need in order to do it right.

does anyone know part numbers for rear SS springs?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Tb ss do not use springs(coils) they use air bags in the rear. Djm I believe sells 2" lowering springs.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Edit my last post. Ground force sells a 2" lowering coil for $137 dollars on stylintrucks.com. part #1085

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
silvernclean said:
Edit my last post. Ground force sells a 2" lowering coil for $137 dollars on stylintrucks.com. part #1085

This.

You can pair these with ss front springs(will dig up a p/n) and have an almost identical stancr to the ss model. Or you can cut 2/3 of a coil from your front springs for the same effect.

TB360

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
got my answers. thanks for all of you who have contributed and have shed a light on this topic. I decided to go with Eibach springs and will lower it to 1.5 and match it with SS springs and shocks.

Thanks everyone!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
YOUNG said:
if you swap out front and rear coils, do u have to get different shocks?
Most folks do because the OEM shocks are designed to cost, which means their performance suffers even when they're new. Just budget for it.
and how much difference is the ride?
It's 42% better. :thumbsup:

Have you ever changed worn-out shocks on a vehicle before? If not, take it out before the swap, and thrash it around and REALLY memorize the experience. Then do the mods and go through the same route again. Unless you have no nerves in your butt at all, you'll remember those two rides for a VERY, VERY long time. :biggrin:

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
i plan on changing my shocks out around 100k+ mileage mark (about 85k right now), Lucikly mine came with bilsteins. So its a very good ride as is.

I like the plan though, ans i think i have some ideas about what ill be doing before i switch shocks :tongue: :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Do you mean the all black OEM Bilstein shocks?

They are Bilstein in name only. Not like the the performance after market Bilstein's.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Replace them now if you can, 100k on the stock parts is a joke. I swapped mine on my 02 out around 65k when I dropped it, didnt realize how shot they were already. Id go no more than 55-60k on the factory OEM shocks, preferably 50k if you want the best ride/performance. I just replaced them again at 130k (and it was too long, the Bilstein HDs I had were shot by then) when I lifted it.

If you plan to lift/lower your truck, get new front shocks at least to save yourself the hassle of pulling the front suspension apart again.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Replace them now if you can, 100k on the stock parts is a joke. I swapped mine on my 02 out around 65k when I dropped it, didnt realize how shot they were already. Id go no more than 55-60k on the factory OEM shocks, preferably 50k if you want the best ride/performance. I just replaced them again at 130k (and it was too long, the Bilstein HDs I had were shot by then) when I lifted it.

If you plan to lift/lower your truck, get new front shocks at least to save yourself the hassle of pulling the front suspension apart again.

I plan on lowering the truck, so im waiting untill i get enough money to do it all right, and do it all at once.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I am lowering mine. I am keeping the stock spings up front and lowering with belltech lowering struts. Which lowers 2" up front. For the back lowering with belltech 3" lowering springs and getting belltech street performance socks. Paid round $500 for everything. In future I might add the adjustable panhard bar to realign ass end which shifts over when lowered. (Not much tho I heard)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
OffroadTB has a new vendor making some nice pieces including the adjustable panhard bar. Jump over there and search Massive. They do some good looking powdercoat on them as well.

I heard that suicidedoors is no longer producing them, so it may be one of the best options...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
OffroadTB has a new vendor making some nice pieces including the adjustable panhard bar. Jump over there and search Massive. They do some good looking powdercoat on them as well.

I heard that suicidedoors is no longer producing them, so it may be one of the best options...

Thanks for the info hardtrailz :thumbup:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
YOUNG said:
I plan on lowering the truck, so im waiting untill i get enough money to do it all right, and do it all at once.

Good call, I convinced Jeff (jbones) to hold off on his lift kit install until he could get front shocks at the same time. So not worth the hassle to do it twice.

silvernclean said:
I am lowering mine. I am keeping the stock spings up front and lowering with belltech lowering struts. Which lowers 2" up front. For the back lowering with belltech 3" lowering springs and getting belltech street performance socks. Paid round $500 for everything. In future I might add the adjustable panhard bar to realign ass end which shifts over when lowered. (Not much tho I heard)

Run Bilstein HDs up front when you do this install, good call on the rear drop shocks. I made the mistake of using Bilstein HDs in the rear when I had my Eibach drop kit and it rode like crap. Do the install then see how far off it is, from there you can see if you want to do a panhard bar. Also, 2" front drop is borderline on needing the front DJM a-arms, have to wait and see on that one too.

HARDTRAILZ said:

Didnt know that about suicidedoors, Ill be in the market for one soon when I can setup the SS how I want.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Has anyone thought about flipping the upper control arms when lowering to achieve a better alignment? And do it when lifting, just wondering if it'll work going the other way. Just a thought that regulator brought up to me a a local meet last week.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online