Lower fan shroud and maybe another fan problem

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I started to hear a rubbing noise from under the hood when I would switch our Envoy off. It turns out part of the lower fan shroud is broken and rubbing up against the ring around the fan blades. How easy is it to remove the lower shroud? I was thinking if it wasn't to badly damaged I would just cut off the broken piece and reinstall the shroud. That shouldn't hurt cooling much or cause any other problems would it?

Also I noticed that just idling the fan was barely turning if at all. It would move a few degrees and then stop and then move a few more degrees. Basically hesitating. I turned it off and I could move the fan by hand without any problems. So I don't think the broken shroud was the problem. I assume the fan would destroy the shroud or itself if it got in a bind. I started it backup and the fan was moving normal again. Is there a problem or was the computer just not telling the fan to spin? It was maybe 65 degrees outside at the time. The temperature gauge was not climbing. It was pointing straight

Though I would ask you guys as I am not getting any responses on TV.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I believe it is a one piece shroud so you can take the entire thing out and take a look at it. You might be able to repair it with some epoxy.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Even if the PCM isn't commanding the fan to turn at full speed, there's enough residual friction in the fan clutch to make it twirl. It should not ever hit the shroud and slow down.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Even if the PCM isn't commanding the fan to turn at full speed, there's enough residual friction in the fan clutch to make it twirl. It should not ever hit the shroud and slow down.

I know it's not suppose to hit it, but the shroud is broken. I can see where it is rubbing. I assume its causing just barely enough friction to over come the residual friction in the fan clutch and causing it stop and hesitate. Atleast I hope that is the problem and it isn't something more serious.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
emedlin said:
Looks like it is a two part shroud.

GMC Envoy Radiator Fan Shroud - AM Autoparts
GMC Envoy Radiator Fan Shroud - AM Autoparts

Didn't think about gluing it though. Thanks. I still need to look at it some more this weekend or next and see how to take it off.

If you fill out the rest of your profile it will help with the information. The parts you show are for a 4.3 V6 we have a 4.2 I6, so I believe what you are looking at is the wrong part.

2004-2005 ST(06-36),Radiator & Related Parts - TS01222 Should be what you are looking for.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Oops, didn't notice that. I saw 4. and just read 4.2L. I completely forgot about the 4.3L V6. I completed my profile, so that should clarify what I have. Thanks for the diagram. How hard is it to take off? Can I do without unhooking much?

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I keep reading about people removing it with the fan clutch assembly. I don't want to do all that. Is that the only way to get it off? Maybe I can just raise the truck up and clue or cut the piece from the bottom.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Well everything is tight in there and it is easier to take the shroud and the fan off at the same time. It is also the least amount of things to disassemble to get it out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online