Lower control arm bushings

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
While starting to replace my front struts, I noticed these have some play, and are original.

Are they a simple press out procedure or a major pita?

Lower ball joints are good, and if they aren't any worse then pressing those then all should be good.

The bolt is loosened, that's not the actual gap.

Screenshot_20200614-175329_Gallery.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Haven't tried those myself but I've heard it's not worth the energy to even try. I'd replace the complete arm(s).

I had replaced both lowers with moog and had to replace them again just over 2yrs later. I'm sure hoping this current set of Detroit axles last longer then 2yrs.

EDIT: Any luck with that brake line???

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because I had new LBJ's, I only replaced the LCA brackets on the Saab. I've also replaced the bushings on the '02 at the time but it was a major PITA, having to burn them out with a torch, hammering out the shells and pressing the new ones in. Get the brackets.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
EDIT: Any luck with that brake line???

Didn't get to the brakes this weekend, had a few things hinder my weekend but will try in a week or two, I'll keep you posted for sure.

I've also replaced the bushings on the '02 at the time but it was a major PITA, having to burn them out with a torch, hammering out the shells and pressing the new ones in. Get the brackets.

The lower control arm brackets are about 2 years old, as well as the upper control arms and upper ball joints. LBJ's are about 6 YO, but those strut mount bushings are original, may just leave the brackets alone and replace the lower arms.

I did pick up two of the bushings tonight, I'll check them out and see if the press will fit, otherwise I'll get the arms.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online